Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you feel you have aged since the pandemic

(92 Posts)
Audi10 Wed 20-Oct-21 18:06:26

Obviously everyone ages as the years go by, we cannot stop our body clock, but despite being careful isolating self distancing etc etc, I feel I have, I don’t suffer from anxiety but I do tend to think is this really me lol,

lemongrove Fri 22-Oct-21 11:35:55

Cabbie I think you have got the right idea, fresh air is such a mood lifter.Gardening or walking, particularly where there are trees and green spaces are just so good for the spirits, as are get togethers with a few friends.

Gabrielle56 Fri 22-Oct-21 14:35:45

Agree that Queen was quite rude actually in refusing the coveted award! She could and frankly should have stood United with her peers to celebrate ageness! Did she think she was being funny I wonder? She not a northerner so I don't think she should bother trying! Bad manners? Hmm

Juliet27 Fri 22-Oct-21 16:41:14

The most 'ageing' aspect during Lockdown was Facetime, Zoom etc when I could see my face close-up!

I agree Riverwalk. Depressing!

Casdon Fri 22-Oct-21 17:04:21

The Queen wasn’t rude in refusing to accept an award from a magazine, in doing so she would have been seen to be endorsing the publication. It just isn’t something she ever does?

GreenGran78 Fri 22-Oct-21 21:51:19

I coped well with the beginning of the lockdown, doing plenty of walking and eating sensibly. My DD and GD moved in with me in January while their new house was being renovated. I spent a lot of time working with them at the house, doing physically demanding jobs, and coped well.
Since they moved out of my house, in July, I have been on my own again, and seem to have lost all motivation. Eating all the wrong things, because I can't be bothered cooking. Going out only to shop. I am beginning to get aches and pains, mainly through sitting about too much, I think. I have bullied myself into going to my newly-opened choir practices, but the old enthusiasm isn't there. With winter on the way I dread to think what I will be like, come Spring, if I don't shake myself up. I'm not depressed, just apathetic.

bookwormbabe Sat 23-Oct-21 14:02:00

I find I am having to use the bus a lot more where I would have walked before. Not sure if that's due to the pandemic though, or whether it would have happened anyway.

MerylStreep Sat 23-Oct-21 14:13:48

Before the first lockdown I took 2 older neighbours to a sit down keep fit group.
I know that 1 of them carried it on on her own. But I’ve arranged that they come to me and we can all do them together through the winter.
It’s not just the exercise, it’s the social aspect as well.
For anyone on their own, look at what your neighbours might be interested in doing. It’s more than likely that there are some thinking exactly the same as you. But someone has to make that call with a suggestion of getting together.

Juliet27 Sat 23-Oct-21 14:23:27

As your comment GG78 seems to prove, we all need a project to keep ourselves motivated and cheerful. ?

singingnutty Sat 23-Oct-21 19:20:55

OH and I have discussed this a lot and feel we have aged a lot as regards state of mind. At the moment things seem to be heading in the wrong direction and it's daunting. Like everyone else, we have had several holidays cancelled, but I am feeling particularly upset today, because next weekend is our Golden Wedding anniversary and we had booked a large house so that the extended family could celebrate together (2 have birthdays that weekend as well.) Our youngest son and his wife now have Covid and the other son has a father-in-law who has just come out of hospital after a life-changing operation, so neither family can help us celebrate. Sorry - I am feeling very sorry for myself. We have so much to be thankful for in fact, and I shall pull myself together by tomorrow.

lemongrove Sat 23-Oct-21 20:45:30

flowers singingnutty ( great name!)
I know the feeling as near the start of the very first lockdown last year, we had to cancel our booked holiday abroad to celebrate our Golden Wedding, we moved it to this year and the same happened again with a lockdown, so sadly have just put it down to bad luck/ timing and have moved on.We had cards and flowers on the day and that was that.
It’s hugely disappointing, but as you say, you are still here and still together.

Skydancer Sat 23-Oct-21 21:20:30

I really like the honesty of Gransnetters. It seems almost all of us has been affected by the pandemic. Apathy, lethargy, depression …. this has been a dreadful time and most of us have been overthinking- I know I have. It’s so difficult to become motivated. Few things seem worthwhile. It’s so easy to just sit and eat. But I have vowed to myself this week that I need to make changes otherwise these final years will be meaningless. So what is it to be? Not sure but first I’m going to buy some new clothes and make-up. Then colour my hair. Then I’m banking on looking better so will feel better. Hope it works.

Juliet27 Sat 23-Oct-21 21:25:05

otherwise these final years will be meaningless

My goodness Skydancer those words really hit home!

MerylStreep Sat 23-Oct-21 21:38:45

Skydancer
Good for you for recognising that something has to change ?
We have a neighbour who, before the first lock down was as fit as a butchers dog dispute being in her mid 80s. Out every morning before 7 to get her paper.
Now she is practically a hermit because her family convinced her that if she went out she could possible die.

lemongrove Sat 23-Oct-21 21:47:33

Meryl ?
I think the hermit effect has done a lot of harm, in fact I have a friend only a couple of years older than me who has given up on life outside her home, and as she lives alone anyway has become most miserable.

Granniesunite Sat 23-Oct-21 22:02:07

My friend is mid eighties. Fit and very able woman. She is a widow and lives alone. During lockdown I was humbled by her ability to use Whats app,Facebook,Texts, to keep in touch with family and friends . She also taught herself to zoom with the help of grandchildren and set up zoom meetings with friends.
She has always had a very positive outlook on life and loves every moment. She’s an inspiration.

timetogo2016 Sun 24-Oct-21 10:32:21

Not aged,just got fatter doing very little.