Gransnet forums

Chat

Cheque Books.

(156 Posts)
Calendargirl Sat 23-Oct-21 18:22:58

Don’t write cheques very often, but did today to send off a donation to charity. Realised at end of cheque book, tried to order one online, no way! Went on the live chat, but sadly, the digital assistant seemed never to have come across such a thing as a cheque.

Don’t want to reveal which bank, but just wonder if anyone else has found this. And yes, I know I can use my card, and I pay tradesman directly into their account etc, utilise direct debits and standing orders frequently, but I do feel that very occasionally, I want to write a cheque.

Am I such a rarity?

Galaxy Sun 24-Oct-21 09:03:12

Yes I am afraid sometimes cheques dont get cashed here, I havent been in a bank for years and it would be a pain to do it. Most banks will let you scan the cheque via internet banking but some dont.

Smileless2012 Sun 24-Oct-21 09:19:57

We still use cheques and our bank automatically sends a new book when we're getting to the end of the one we're using. I wonder if it depends on how many you usehmm.

Franbern Sun 24-Oct-21 09:38:06

I am the Secretary (Director), of our flats voluntary self-managed Management Committee.
We still use and receive cheques a lot. Internet banking for payments by us is difficult - with regard to the requitement for two signatures.
We are trying to encourage our six-monthly Maintenance fees to be paid to us by Bank Transfer, as the bank charges little for these, whereas it charge a large amount for any cheque paid in. However, at present only a small number of our flat owners pay this charge that way. Cheques are still their favourite method of payment.
In my personal life - I use cheques rarely, but there are still some people who want these (eg: my WIndow Cleaner).

Elusivebutterfly Sun 24-Oct-21 09:48:19

There are people who want to be paid by cheque. I don't always have enough cash for my window cleaner (as I rarely use cash now) and he likes cheques and won't use online banking, as do some other small tradesmen. I pay an annual sum to a small charity who will only accept cheques.
I would be happy to dispense with cheques but other people still require payment by cheque.

PaperMonster Sun 24-Oct-21 10:00:54

I use cheques to pay my rent. I do this at our visiting Post Office. I don’t want to do this any other way as I want to support our Post Office so that those locally who struggle to get to a town will be able to use this service. Its visits have already been halved to once a week.

Until Covid I used to use cheques for some things at my daughter’s school, eg school photos, PTA activities but the most recent of these requested online payment.

PaperMonster Sun 24-Oct-21 10:02:39

Oh and until last month I was still paid by cheque for one of the jobs I do but they’ve just changed to bank transfer. Most of my other jobs pay by cash so I still find myself visiting the bank once a month!

silverlining48 Sun 24-Oct-21 10:30:31

I sill write cheques to family, charities, insurance. Always cash to hairdresser or if not it’s a cheque.. We don’t do pay pal and a bank transfer as a gift is a bit weird to me. A cheque in a card is though.

Talking of cash, friends of ours never have any cash with them and expect to be able to pay fir anything they want by card. They often come a cropper and we have to sub them. With our cash!

Sarnia Sun 24-Oct-21 10:33:18

I still use a cheque book, albeit rarely. When I needed a new one I had to trawl through the bank's website to order one. They are not in plain sight.

Floradora9 Sun 24-Oct-21 11:32:48

I bet not many of you remember the time before cheque books had your name printed on them . We had to know the signatures of our customers . I was working in London when names were added to cheque books . Our manager ( who never spoke to the workers like my self), wore a bowler hat each day and added his middle name to his surname to be ever more posh . Sadly , as his name was not hyphernated , his brand new printed cheque book arrive and he had lost his middle name he was back to plain Mr. Smith. He was not pleased .

Calendargirl Sun 24-Oct-21 11:41:17

Oh yes I do Floradora

I was the machinist in our local bank, and had to process the cheques onto customers accounts daily, then sort the cheques into drawers ready to be posted out with the statements.

I knew virtually all the signatures, especially the community accounts, i.e. the WI’s, Church PCC’s, Sports Clubs etc.

Often I would get called over “Calendar, whose signature is this please?”.

Made a little 16 year old feel quite important.

smile

Wheniwasyourage Sun 24-Oct-21 13:06:11

The last time (during lockdown) when we were running out of cheques, I wrote to our branch, which is about 40 miles away and in a different local authority (thanks RBS) and they sent a book. They said that next time we could order one through an ATM, but we haven't needed to do so yet and so I don't know how that works.

Wheniwasyourage Sun 24-Oct-21 13:08:04

One of our DC has an account with BoS which allows her to take a photo of a cheque on the phone and pay it into the account that way. That DC is quite happy to have cheques, but another prefers bank transfers.

kittylester Sun 24-Oct-21 16:50:22

I was a machinist too Calendar - it's amazing how quickly we got to know signatures. Was it a Sumlock machine?

Kim19 Sun 24-Oct-21 18:27:52

I do the odd cheque but strangely the young men who cut my grass actually prefer one. I have suggested they would save bank charges with a DD but, nope, so fine by me.

Calendargirl Sun 24-Oct-21 19:17:27

No, it was an NCR 160 Kitty

Floradora9 Sun 24-Oct-21 21:17:58

I used an NCR 160 made in Dundee near to where I lived but I started on hand written ledgers . Myself and a more senior girl were trained for a day before we started using the machines . The other girl was so worried about it that she had an asthma attack and stayed at home so I was the only one who knew what to do but I coped. do you remember what a pain it was when you made a mistake. There was no set day for the statements to go out so we only sent them out when a page was full . I remember getting raged at by the local man from the Pru who said that that was no use to him as it was not up to date . He really upset me as it was not my policy to send them out like that . In fact a lot of the statements sat until we saw ther customer come in and then we gave it to them . Goodness knows how they were supposed to keep track of their money.

Calendargirl Sun 24-Oct-21 22:06:02

I know if you got to the bottom of the page of entries, if you weren’t careful, you could overtype and that made the dreaded retype of the whole page. When I was first machining, I did this a few times, and the poor lad who was training me ended up with lots of retypes! He must have cursed me behind my back!

Thankfully, I soon got the hang of it and became quite a quick and accurate machinist.

Happy days.

MayBee70 Sun 24-Oct-21 22:23:17

I’ve found that, if I use the last cheque in the book when I’m halfway through the book my bank send me a new one. However, I haven’t done that for a while so don’t know if that still works.

grannypiper Mon 25-Oct-21 06:50:55

I have cheque books for all of my accounts. The only bank i don't use is Lloyds, all the rest still issue cheque books.

Alioop Mon 25-Oct-21 10:42:31

I have one, but I can't remember the last time I used it. I hardly ever use cash either since the arrival of Covid, I usually pay everything by card because shops preferred you too.

jaylucy Mon 25-Oct-21 10:44:13

I can't remember the last time that I wrote a cheque!
My eldest brother ordered a Captain Tom rose bush for me in the spring as he was ordering one for himself (wouldn't have surprised me if there was a discount on more than 1 ordered) and he asked me for a cheque to pay my share. My reply was "What's one of them ?"

Tattooedfidelma Mon 25-Oct-21 10:44:23

I still use my cheque book regularly. I get through about 2 a year. My bank has stopped sending them out automatically so I have to request one but they usually arrive within the week. My husband is self employed and we still get the odd cheque as payment usually from elderly customers. Would be really upset if banks stopped issuing them.

Breda Mon 25-Oct-21 10:45:12

Yes!

SillyNanny321 Mon 25-Oct-21 10:50:55

Have to make a long winded request for a new cheque book now. Pain in the proverbial! Do not use many cheques but some Tradesmen prefer a cheque to carrying cash possibly as cash can be stolen if the wrong person is watching them!

SewnSew Mon 25-Oct-21 10:52:50

I just registered Power of Attorney for a relative's bank account and received a cheque within days without actually asking for one.