Gransnet forums

Chat

Cheque Books.

(156 Posts)
Calendargirl Sat 23-Oct-21 18:22:58

Don’t write cheques very often, but did today to send off a donation to charity. Realised at end of cheque book, tried to order one online, no way! Went on the live chat, but sadly, the digital assistant seemed never to have come across such a thing as a cheque.

Don’t want to reveal which bank, but just wonder if anyone else has found this. And yes, I know I can use my card, and I pay tradesman directly into their account etc, utilise direct debits and standing orders frequently, but I do feel that very occasionally, I want to write a cheque.

Am I such a rarity?

Calmlocket Mon 01-Nov-21 09:31:22

Out of interest I looked at my cheque book and saw that the last cheque I wrote was in 2015 when I paid the painter/decorator. The one before that was 2012. Wonder if they will ever become obsolete.

Alegrias1 Mon 01-Nov-21 16:32:04

Grandma2213

Thanks Alegrias1. I do use Paypal for paying for various online purchases but that just involves clicking the button. I'll have to investigate that but do you not have to know the recipient's bank details first?

I think what happens is that the bank details are held by PayPal, so you just need to look somebody up by their name. A bit like you are already doing, I think? They have to be registered with PayPal though.

Might be worth investigating?

Marydoll Mon 01-Nov-21 19:36:43

Paypal have the recipient's bank details, they aren't visible to you.
However, the recipient does need Paypal account and a verified bank account to receive the money.

Audi10 Tue 02-Nov-21 17:49:23

It must be ten years since either of us used a cheque book

Calendargirl Tue 02-Nov-21 17:58:32

Just a P.S. from my OP.

I texted a friend who works in my bank and said I couldn’t seem to order a cheque book online.

She promised to order me one, but said their use is ‘discouraged’ and ‘they don’t make it easy’.

It arrived in the post.

Will use them sparingly.