Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you tell your AC arrangements for when you die??

(127 Posts)
Franbern Mon 25-Oct-21 11:19:28

Not sure how to title this discussion. I am just wondering if I am weird in that I do try ensure that my AC (Particularly the one who lives close by), know exactly where all paperwork is for when I do eventually die.

I have all the deeds and paperwork related to my flat in a file in a drawer, in aanother drawer are what I call my 'Private Papers' which contain, birth certificate, etc. main copy of my will ( all my AC have a photocopy of this), details as to who will need contacting, etc. etc. I have made sure that she knows where these papers are, and the drawers are labelled.

Both my two eldest daughters also know the code I use for my credit cards, etc. and how to be able to obtain easy access to my accounts.

I feel that this is important part of parenting. It will be difficult enough for them when I do die, and I want to make those first few weeks as easy as I can for them,. I have little concern as to how I get cremated, etc. although have also left them details of the local humanist society celebrants,

When my Mum died all that had to be sorted was her funeral, but after my fathers' death had to cope with sorting everything out (both their clothes, and furniture, etc. etc. - Wished I had listened to him more closely when he had tried to inform me about some things. And, there was no property involved then.

Do other people on here do this?

My older brother used to really annoy me when I used to ask him about any arrangements he had made and he always replied 'Won't be his problem'. He was correct!! It was mine, and I really resented it.

I am not gloom and doom - but accept, that I will eventually die (hopefully well before my remaining five AC). We all know the responsibility of making wills, but these other arrangements - how many people do put them in place?

Chigleys Tue 02-Nov-21 16:18:14

I think it’s best to speak to them or leave some requests in writing. It is stressful enough dealing with the loss, best to help them know your preferences.