Gransnet forums

Chat

Is there anything that gives you 'the creeps'?

(124 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 27-Oct-21 18:12:58

Following on from the Halloween theme, I'm interested to know if you're a brave person?

For example, would you go down to the cellar in the middle of the night if you heard a noise?

Would you pop your head up into the attic if you heard what sounded like child's laughter?

Would you step outside in your nightshirt on a stormy night to close the shed door?
Can you watch "psycho" and then happily jump in the shower afterwards?

MissAdventure Wed 27-Oct-21 19:31:16

They always take a candle into the cellar, too.
I don't think I would like to live somewhere with a cellar.

CanadianGran Wed 27-Oct-21 19:37:42

Speaking of cellars. The house I grew up in had a stone basement, and there was a root cellar extending about 6' like a long closet, also with stone walls. Of course the single light bulb with a pull-sting was set back about 4' from the rickety door, so you had to step into the dark, flail around for the string, then grab the potatoes quickly and dash up the stairs before any monster could get you. My sister and I would try not to be near the kitchen when my mother needed potatoes.

Redhead56 Wed 27-Oct-21 20:10:16

The actual film Halloween (1978 Jamie Lee Curtis) still frightens me. In real life I don't like the dark I have tiny lights all over the bedroom.

Witzend Wed 27-Oct-21 21:17:20

Clowns. Those faces give me the willies.

DillytheGardener Wed 27-Oct-21 22:13:26

After watching the documentary about the trial and investigation of woman who was found dead at the foot of a stair case, imaginatively called The Staircase I also would not be keen to live in a house with a basement.
CanadianGran did your mum ever cotton on that you and your sister were scared of getting the potatoes? ? ?

Scones Wed 27-Oct-21 22:18:52

To answer your question. No I would not have a ouija board in my house. It would give me the serious willies.

My dad bought one home years ago and my mum had a benny, wouldn't even let him have it in the garage. Goodness knows what he wanted it for as he was even more of a wuss about all things goolie and ghosty than I am.

JackyB Thu 28-Oct-21 10:24:33

I must be weird because never have understood what there is to be scared of in snakes, spiders, mice etc. Hitchcock films make me laugh at the amateurish effects. As I remember it, in "The Birds", Tippi Hedren escapes into a phone box and a bird gets in with her and she pushes it back - you can see the stick holding the bird! Psycho I saw just after having read "The 3 faces of Eve" and it was obvious to me what was going on. Anthony Perkins wasn't in the least bit sinister.

The only thing that bothers me is heights. I have to shut my eyes even in films where I know it's CGI or an illusion. But falling from a height is a genuinely life threatening situation, unlike a tiny spider crawling up your arm,so I feel justified there.

Perhaps I've just led a too sheltered life.

Newatthis Thu 28-Oct-21 10:49:17

Clowns and dolls - both are very creepy. Especially the dolls that look realistic.

timetogo2016 Thu 28-Oct-21 11:08:57

No chance,i jump at the slightest sound,hate horror films too.

Shelagh6 Thu 28-Oct-21 11:09:35

Scones -what is a ‘benny’?

Bignanny2 Thu 28-Oct-21 11:10:57

Isn’t it funny how we are all reasonable, sensible people in the day light but after dark we are all scaredy-cats ! I’m sure the house creeks and bumps just as much during the day, but with daytime noises we don’t notice, but of course when it’s quiet at night we hear it! And what is it that I’m listening for or scared of; is it an intruder or something supernatural ?‍♀️

Shinamae Thu 28-Oct-21 11:11:49

Porcelain dolls that were very popular a few years ago really give me the creeps

timetogo2016 Thu 28-Oct-21 11:22:22

Oh,and some MP`s give me the creeps too.
Scary or what ?.

LovelyLady Thu 28-Oct-21 11:29:16

I’d get my home blessed or my car or whatever I felt was creepy.
Problem solved.

Rosina Thu 28-Oct-21 11:33:39

I can never understand why, in TV dramas or films, when the seven stone heroine hears a strange noise the in cellar, upstairs, or outside and then proceeds to investigate, alone and unarmed. I suppose it makes the 'drama' more interesting and thrilling, but would you? I find it alarming to watch, and in that situation would barricade myself behind the strongest door and ring for reinforcements!

Mamma66 Thu 28-Oct-21 11:39:43

Clowns scare the living daylights out of me

Forestflame Thu 28-Oct-21 11:49:24

As a Christian I would never have a ouija board in my home or attend a seance.

Zoejory Thu 28-Oct-21 11:52:05

I grew up with a mother who made it exciting to have a monster under my bed or in the wardrobe. We'd happily look to see if we could find him. Every night I searched in vain but thought it would be great if I could find him.

Never been scared of much really. I'm struggling to think of any. I'd happily do all the things you suggest, MissAdventure

I'm going to have to think about what scares me and come back to you on this one!

Petalpop Thu 28-Oct-21 11:59:00

I would never walk into a house without turning the light before going from room to room. At the opposite end of the spectrum I would never turn have all the lights in the house burning bright and not draw a curtain or blind. It drives me mad in these TV programmes when a murderer is on the loose and the main characters live in a big modern house with massive windows and they strut around without a care in the world. I really have a go at DH when he turns on a light and does not shut the blinds as you never know who is lurking outside.

Blondiescot Thu 28-Oct-21 12:01:24

None of that would bother me in the slightest, even the ouija board. Just silly nonsense.

Grandma70s Thu 28-Oct-21 12:16:24

When I was a young child of five or six, my route to school involved walking down a road that was thickly wooded on both sides. I was petrified, quite sure a hand would come out of the trees and grab me. I was with my mother, so it was strange I was so scared. I never told her. I wonder where such fears come from? I’m sure I had never experienced being grabbed and dragged off.

I don’t think I have an adult equivalent fear, but I am still wary of woodland.

Borrheid55 Thu 28-Oct-21 12:22:20

Cockroaches actually make me shake! I had some in a bathroom in friend’s flat in Spain. I hate them!

Harmonypuss Thu 28-Oct-21 12:23:01

Is so all the checks the OP listed but have a ouija board on my house - NO WAY, NEVER!!!

grandtanteJE65 Thu 28-Oct-21 12:25:21

Miss Adventure, I can do all of the things you are asking about, but I am afraid of fish and of fire sirens.

I don't know why, as I have been afraid of both since I was very little and my mother didn't know the reason either.

I was born in 1951 so the siren thing is not connected to wartime air-raids.

I don't watch horror movies, as I have never seen the point of scaring yourself.

Kartush Thu 28-Oct-21 12:33:43

I cant sleep if any cupboard doors are open, I can only watch horror movies during the day.