Gransnet forums

Chat

Is there anything that gives you 'the creeps'?

(124 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 27-Oct-21 18:12:58

Following on from the Halloween theme, I'm interested to know if you're a brave person?

For example, would you go down to the cellar in the middle of the night if you heard a noise?

Would you pop your head up into the attic if you heard what sounded like child's laughter?

Would you step outside in your nightshirt on a stormy night to close the shed door?
Can you watch "psycho" and then happily jump in the shower afterwards?

Curlywhirly Mon 01-Nov-21 19:18:48

Juliet27

Anyone remember this from a Luther episode that .’ featured a terrifying masked killer lying in wait for his victim in the space beneath her bed.’ That certainly spooked me.

Oh yes, remember it well - lady gets settled in bed and suddenly this man slides out; we can see him, but she can't - truly terrifying! Made me glad that all our beds are divans, with no space for anyone underneath. Also comes in handy when our 3 year old GS sleeps, as he's worried about monsters under the bed and can see for himself that it can't happen in our house!

MissAdventure Mon 01-Nov-21 15:16:23

Argggghhh!
That kind of thing is my greatest fear, I think.
I'd have a heart attack, I reckon.

Juliet27 Mon 01-Nov-21 15:13:04

It was very creepy. She got into bed, then he slowly slid out from under it. I couldn’t watch any more!!

MissAdventure Mon 01-Nov-21 14:49:36

I haven't seen that, but it sounds the stuff of nightmares!
I have read, too, about a real life killer who hid inside someone's sofa! shock
Makes me glad I only find peanuts and things in mine!

Juliet27 Mon 01-Nov-21 14:32:19

Anyone remember this from a Luther episode that .’ featured a terrifying masked killer lying in wait for his victim in the space beneath her bed.’ That certainly spooked me.

Vetnry Mon 01-Nov-21 14:07:09

Lived in a house built in the 1700s that had a Grey Lady. We all saw her now and again, usually in the evenings but it could be any time of the day - just a glimpse out of the corner your eye. She meant us no harm. We almost regarded her as a friend.
We now live in an even older, stone cottage - full of odd creaks and other noises - again, nothing to worry us. BUT since the recent (the last 12-18 months) the increase in rural crime we are an oasis of super bright illumination from dusk to dawn.

Maggiemaybe Mon 01-Nov-21 09:33:52

I’d have no problem heading down to our cellar - it’s tanked, painted, carpeted, with proper lights and heating. We’ve a freezer, washing machine, driers, exercise equipment, shoe racks, labelled storage boxes and lots of the DGC’s toys down there. It’s just another room in the house.

Some family members still shudder at the thought of going down there after dark though, lights or not. It might be to do with my old porcelain doll, Theresa, and the DDs’ big old dolls’ houses, being there.

Or it could just be the coal cellar next door, full of old boxes and junk, a swinging bare light bulb, cobwebs and the fluorescent skeletons painted on the bare stone walls by the children who lived here before us. Or, at least, we assume they were painted by children…. shock

tickingbird Sun 31-Oct-21 22:32:08

Witzend. Brilliant

dogsmother Sun 31-Oct-21 12:34:44

Witzend ???

M0nica Sun 31-Oct-21 12:08:39

[grin} as well!

MissAdventure Sun 31-Oct-21 10:08:53

grin

Witzend Sun 31-Oct-21 10:08:26

Oops! His caption appeared anyway! ?

Witzend Sun 31-Oct-21 10:04:18

I just had this pic from my brother.
Enough to give anyone the willies, Halloween or not!

I had better not repeat the caption he added instead of the original - I know there are some sensitive souls on here.

MissAdventure Sun 31-Oct-21 08:32:43

smile
Very sensible.

M0nica Sun 31-Oct-21 07:35:57

As one boyfriend commented, taking me to the pictures to see anything even mildly scary was a waste of money. I just sat their with my eyes shut and my hands over my ears - he couldn't even get a snog!

I haven't seen The Omen or Psycho or The Thing that Came from the Deep or anything even mildly scary

MissAdventure Sat 30-Oct-21 22:28:56

A swimming pool..
Have you seen 'The Omen'?

M0nica Sat 30-Oct-21 20:04:05

If we had a cellar, we would have a built in swimming pool. Nobody in our village has a cellar - the water table is far too high.

MissAdventure Sat 30-Oct-21 18:23:43

Aha!
That's what these practical types think as they head down to the cellar to check out a noise!
It's their undoing, I tell you!

M0nica Sat 30-Oct-21 17:51:34

Since these are all sounds would be caused for practical reasons, doors need oiling, tiles have slipped, trees have come down, loose drafty doors and windows cause a howl when the wind blows, it would never occur to me that any of these sounds are in anyway creepy, so I would just deal with them.

pinkprincess Sat 30-Oct-21 01:22:00

That child character Sam in Coronation Street. He puts the creeps up me I don't know how but he does.

MissAdventure Fri 29-Oct-21 20:26:07

I don't use mine.
I just like the look of it.

GagaJo Fri 29-Oct-21 20:24:30

MissAdventure

Would you have one of these in your house?

Played with one of those as a child, at school. I asked it my dad's name. None of my friends knew my dad as parents had long since been divorced. PLUS dad was known by one name, but his real name was another name.

The damn thing only told me my dad's real name. First and last time using a ouija board. Never again.

Calistemon Fri 29-Oct-21 20:09:28

DiscoDancer1975

Forestflame

As a Christian I would never have a ouija board in my home or attend a seance.

Same here....heard some awful things that have happened to people after using one of those...

We were young and foolish.

hollysteers Fri 29-Oct-21 19:25:44

Since experiencing some life changing things, mortal illness, bereavements etc., I seem to have lost that edginess.
A couple of weeks after my husband died, (alone) in the middle of the night, I heard a big crash in the house. The worst had happened as far as I was concerned and I turned over and went back to sleep. In the morning, I saw that a large Victorian oil painting had fallen to the floor in the sitting room. The old frayed string had finally given way.
Something which did make me wonder recently, again in the middle of the night, was the sound of people talking in the house. I got up and found the voices coming from the TV. No picture. My son had fixed up loudspeakers and I hadn’t turned them off, or something similar and they came on all of a sudden.
I like the noise of the freezer, dishwasher etc, living alone, it’s almost like something alive.

Gabrielle56 Fri 29-Oct-21 13:25:30

Confession warning!
As a 13 year old French exchange staying with a stupidly rich family in Auneuil near Paris, my room was an attic loft in a huge 4storey French c18th villa, with skylight windows! The heating was ancient, animal skins strewn on bed and floor, scary or what?! I was so frightened that I peed into my Chocolat chaud cup and emptied down loo in a.m. ....! I stayed 2 nights before being flown in private plain(yep!) Down to villa in Cassis, more scary still! Bedroom windows overhung white cliffs over sea, what should have been an amazing experience was ruined by my fear of the dark in a country in 60s that still used old gaslights in old homes! That's the rich for you!