Gransnet forums

Chat

Masculinity and household appliances

(54 Posts)
JaneJudge Wed 03-Nov-21 20:25:27

Our dishwasher is playing up. I suggested we hand wash the dishes but my husband suggested he load the dishwasher and has spent the last 30 minutes or so opening and closing the dishwasher door at various noise volume

I need to phone our insurance cover people which I will do tomorrow but my Wednesday evening would have been better spent not listening to this huffing and puffing and door opening and closing

honestly hmm

greenlady102 Wed 03-Nov-21 20:28:46

if it keeps him out of mischief..... smile

Galaxy Wed 03-Nov-21 20:35:50

Are the dishes clean now?

Iam64 Wed 03-Nov-21 20:43:52

JaneJudge, we have a similar issue with a washing machine that’s been fixed twice before when it decided spinning was beyond its capabilities. Mr i has tried 3 different lots of washing in an attempt to convince me it works, or ok then maybe it doesn’t work but it’s fixable.
I’ve communicated with John Lewis. A new machine arrives tomorrow.
What is it about domestic appliances and gender ( don’t answer that if it’s going to cause ridiculous comments 😀

Tizliz Wed 03-Nov-21 20:46:39

My OH does not go near these appliances, that is my responsibility.

Iam64 Wed 03-Nov-21 20:53:30

Don’t you share Tizliz?

JaneJudge Wed 03-Nov-21 20:59:48

well he has managed to start it now an hour bloody later than the start of opening and closing but I just find it so irritating blush

we have insurance who can come and fix it properly otherwise I will endure hours of this every week

Good luck with your new washing machine I am64 grin

rosie1959 Wed 03-Nov-21 21:03:14

Tizliz

My OH does not go near these appliances, that is my responsibility.

Nor does mine I went to work one morning my tumble dryer was playing up and I needed the reset button which is right behind the machine I asked DH to pull it out and I would sort on my return. I came home to find the washing machine across the floor enough said
Dishwashers can get a bit bunged up underneath stopping them pumping out I find if I pull it out of its housing and tip it backwards and forwards it can clear it

grumppa Wed 03-Nov-21 21:42:56

I have a simple rule. If a household appliance starts to play up and it’s out of guarantee/warranty, replace it.

BigBertha1 Wed 03-Nov-21 22:14:05

It's vacuum cleaners with us. DH does the cleaning and will not buy a decent machine so he's always fiddling with it.

Calistemon Wed 03-Nov-21 22:35:45

JaneJudge

well he has managed to start it now an hour bloody later than the start of opening and closing but I just find it so irritating blush

we have insurance who can come and fix it properly otherwise I will endure hours of this every week

Good luck with your new washing machine I am64 grin

DH would have stripped it down, discovered the fault and realised the next day the parts needed are no longer available!

SpringyChicken Wed 03-Nov-21 23:00:09

I'm lucky, husband leaves this sort of problem to me and I have a lovely repair man who says when a repair isn't cost effective - even if he's doing himself out of a job.

nadateturbe Wed 03-Nov-21 23:16:34

I would let my husband fiddle about with it all he likes while I go online and look at best reviews for a new appliance. But he would be told firmly to do it tomorrow morning.

VioletSky Wed 03-Nov-21 23:17:06

My husband takes things apart, swears at them a bit, puts them back together and then they generally work.

As far as I can see, he isn't actually "fixing" anything.

I think they must have voice activated switches in there somewhere that only respond to swearing

Namsnanny Wed 03-Nov-21 23:28:40

Can I have the number of your repair men?

I find they dont turn up.
Mind you I dont have insurance so we scrabble around to find some one available!

JaneJudge Thu 04-Nov-21 07:45:36

Namsnanny, ask on your local facebook page, there is bound to be people local to you that will be able to fix electrical appliances.

Witzend Thu 04-Nov-21 08:57:01

Hmm. Dh tends to like gadgets, so I’ve been urging him to dig out the window washer he bought maybe a year ago, and see if it still works. 😉.
The initial enthusiasm has evidently worn off, but the inside of our windows would certainly appreciate a 2nd session.

sodapop Thu 04-Nov-21 09:06:16

My husband is really good at repairing things. However this usually involves retrieving something from his hoards in the barn accompanied by by "I told you it would come in useful "

timetogo2016 Thu 04-Nov-21 09:22:27

Same here grumppa.
Out with the old in with the new.

MayBeMaw Thu 04-Nov-21 09:29:19

To be fair, if a man says he is going to fix something, he will
There is no need to nag him every day for 6 months gringrin

Katie59 Thu 04-Nov-21 09:33:43

Out with the old in with the new, you can train men to use domestic stuff, it’s best to ask them to fix it but the electronics in modern stuff is too complex for most.
Having failed he will buy a new one.

Namsnanny Thu 04-Nov-21 11:26:10

JaneJudge 👍Thanks.

Fernhillnana Thu 04-Nov-21 11:27:39

I put up with a very dodgy oven for several years until it finally gave out and I could persuade dh to replace (after a lot of fuss). Now we have a hob on which only two burners work….

GrammarGrandma Thu 04-Nov-21 11:33:48

Our dishwasher stopped working and the Bosch repair man wouldn't come till I had stopped self-isolating after cancer surgery. It turned out to be broken glass in the pump and we couldn't have fixed it ourselves. Till it was fixed my husband washed up by hand. Am I missing something?

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 04-Nov-21 11:37:23

My DH doesn't really have a clue about household appliances - my domain!!

He tries to use them but usually get stuck, so I have to do it anyway