Gransnet forums

Chat

how do i wash my hair

(62 Posts)
ChickenAnnie Thu 04-Nov-21 11:30:03

I would be so grateful for any suggestions on how i can wash my hair whilst my foot is in a cast? I cannot put any weight on my foot so cannot have shower.

CocoPops Fri 05-Nov-21 04:58:39

My solution was to wash my hair at the kitchen sink. I put a chair by the kitchen sink. Then stood on the "good" leg and rested the knee of the leg in plaster on the chair seat.

Theoddbird Sat 06-Nov-21 10:46:27

You can buy waterproof covers for a cast. Use with a plastic seat in shower. Hope it heals soon x

Nannashirlz Sat 06-Nov-21 10:47:01

Hi has someone who is recovering with broken ribs and fractured shoulder so I’m trying to do mine with one arm. I do mine with dry shampoo lol I’ve attempted to do with regular way with bad results or I had it done at hairdresser. I understand with you it’s your foot but you could sit on your loo with your head over the bath.

christine96777 Sat 06-Nov-21 10:47:23

When I broke my shoulder, a couple of years ago my husband stepped up to help, as I could do very little for myself, we bought a seat for over the bath. If you don't have someone to help what about a mobile hairdresser once a week, or contact adult social care

Awesomegranny Sat 06-Nov-21 10:57:44

Dry shampoo

Paperbackwriter Sat 06-Nov-21 10:58:34

PollyTickle

How about treating yourself to a weekly do at the hairdresser. Even if only for the shampoo at the backwash.

My first thought too. A wash and blow dry lifts the spirits too!

Charleygirl5 Sat 06-Nov-21 11:07:53

I use a stool in my shower each time and it has been a Godsend post surgery. As others have said, it is easy to cover POP. The kitchen sink with a chair to sit on is another option.
I think I found my stool via Amazon and the legs can be shortened or lengthened which is useful.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 06-Nov-21 11:14:47

You need a stool or chair that is high enough for you to sit at the sink and wash you hair there.

Please do not try just to stand holding on to the edge of the sink with one hand.

The risk of falling is too great, and washing your hair using only one hand is not likely to be easy, or give a very satisfactory result.

Otherwise the solution of sitting down in the shower on a bath stool is the obvious one if you have a walk-in shower.

Is there no possiblity of getting a friend to help?

Joesoap Sat 06-Nov-21 11:16:00

When I had my hip replacement I wasnt allowed to bend over for a while, I stood in the shower and leant over as far as I thought I should do and held onto the shower stool,it worked well but then I didnt have a cast on.
I hope you find a method that suits you.

GrannyGear Sat 06-Nov-21 11:18:12

How often do you wash your hair? Not a daft/rude question. I once worked with a lady who washed hers every day. Assuming you want a shampoo once a week, why not treat yourself to a weekly visit to a hairdresser while you are "in recovery mode"? If getting to a salon is a problem there are mobile hairdressers who will come to you. Just an idea.

HazelGreen Sat 06-Nov-21 11:19:03

I had a special seat/padded bench that went over the bath. The plaster was put in plastic bag and bit of masking tape at top. The thing you buy in chemist not comfortable, too tight at knee. The plastered leg was propped on nearby loo and wiht shower attachment on bath, it was highlight of the day to have a good wash or shampoo.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 06-Nov-21 11:22:13

Have you tried Dry shampoos? Or when I was last in hospital I was given a strange cap I put on my head and it shampood my hair!

Jazzhands Sat 06-Nov-21 11:39:40

I fell and broke both wrists. I tried dry shampoo for a while, but then phoned my hairdresser. They had someone who would come and do it for me at home at a reduced cost for as long as I needed to mend. Heros!

Unigran4 Sat 06-Nov-21 12:12:20

When I had a frozen shoulder and couldn't lift my arm above my waist I went to the local hairdresser just to have my hair washed. No blow dry, just combed out and left to dry on its own. Very cheap and problem solved.

Riggie Sat 06-Nov-21 12:15:28

Sit at the sink or basin and use a jug?

Or go outside in the rain!! Washed and dried my hair last Sunday and got caught in a sudden downpour which left it dripping

Chicklette Sat 06-Nov-21 12:16:51

When I had a cast in my foot I hopped into the bath and hung the leg over the side. I washed my hair in the bath sometimes, other times leant over the bath.

Coco51 Sat 06-Nov-21 12:19:41

Over a sink - before showers there was no alternative

Nannapat1 Sat 06-Nov-21 12:53:08

After my hip replacement, I visited the hairdresser a few times for a wash and blow dry, easier than struggling. I do only need to wash my hair once a week though and left it a bit longer just post op. And no it did not get greasy, dirty or smelly: the hairdresser was amazed! Now I'm back to kneeling over the bath for home hair washing, but appreciate that with a cast on this may not be possible!

janywoo Sat 06-Nov-21 12:57:33

I have offered to shampoo and condition my regular clients at the salon, no charge. It's a nominal fee for a shampoo at most salons. Some people have taken advantage of my offer ,asking for "a little mousse"or a "few bobby pins",or even a free "quick braid". Fortunately ,most people don't take my kindness for weakness, as the saying goes.

Fernbergien Sat 06-Nov-21 13:13:20

Remember that cling wrap is good to put round knee after a replacement. Also elsewhere ie wrist. Enough to keep part dry in shower.

Mallin Sat 06-Nov-21 13:43:50

Why don’t people these days know that regular hair washing is a newly acquired habit?

Oofy Sat 06-Nov-21 13:54:44

I also had a LimbO, suggested by the vascular nurse, when I had a leg ulcer. She even suggested I could go into a swimming pool with it, as I was bemoaning the fact that I wouldn’t be able to swim on our holiday abroad that year. I didn’t quite like to, though. What would the other bathers have thought?! The manufacturers say only gentle bathing. The covers stay up a bit like a stronger version of self-supporting stockings.
I was also going to suggest the hairdressers, PollyTickle.

seadragon Sat 06-Nov-21 13:54:59

A little anecdote amidst all the useful advice: An older friend with beautiful hair told me she had found she hardly needed to wash her hair at all as she aged... During lockdown my hair grew far down my back and I now wear it up all the time. I wash it occasionally but not nearly as often as I used to. It has acquired waves, ringlets and a sheen it hasn't had since I was a teenager...and, I am reliably assured...does not smell. I remember years ago seeing a tv programme about hair being self cleaning and how washing not being good for it....

Elless Sat 06-Nov-21 14:39:00

I'm in a cast at the moment and fortunately I can lean my knee on the toilet and lean over the bath to wash my hair. I also have a Limbo so enjoy a bath all the time, I had to order a special size from Limbo and they made it at no extra cost.

AJKW Sat 06-Nov-21 14:46:54

You can buy a plastic cover for your cast with a tight elastic top to stop water seeping in allowing you to shower. Although because of your cast you may want to put a plastic chair in the shower to sit on.
I would not usually recommend Amazon for any purchase I don’t like the way they monopolise the market but you will find this product on their website.