Gransnet forums

Chat

how do i wash my hair

(62 Posts)
ChickenAnnie Thu 04-Nov-21 11:30:03

I would be so grateful for any suggestions on how i can wash my hair whilst my foot is in a cast? I cannot put any weight on my foot so cannot have shower.

harrysgran Sat 06-Nov-21 14:55:51

Treat yourself to a wash and blow at the local salon where you can use back wash my sister has metal plates in her shoulder and finds drying as well as washing difficult it's her weekly treat

JaneJudge Sat 06-Nov-21 15:00:27

If you have the funds, I'm sure a mobile hairdresser could could to your home once a week and give you a wash and set (this is what my MIL does)

Mirren Sat 06-Nov-21 15:44:11

I smashed my ankle and was not allowed to put my foot down at all for more than 12 weeks .... no mean feet ,I can tell you , but I did it .
I needed several gadgets to help but the best was a waterproof cast cover . This completely covered the cast to the knee with a very efficient rubber flange round the top as a seal .
The brand I had was a Limbo ( available from a well known online retailer beginning with A) .
I was able to shower and evenbathe and my cast stayed dry all those weeks.

Mirren Sat 06-Nov-21 15:45:41

Last message should have read" feat " not " feet ", of course ?

MooM00 Sat 06-Nov-21 16:21:38

ChickenAnnie. I am with you all the way on this. I am in the same situation. I have got a cast on after a broken ankle. I find kneeling on a small stool leaning over the bath and washing my hair works for me.

Daftbag1 Sat 06-Nov-21 18:43:36

Or do what I'm doing ......... And stay dirty!!!

I can't wash my hair or my face at the moment as any touch triggers the worst pain you can imagine (SUNCT and trigeminal neuralgia), this flare up will be for around 2 months and when I can finally wash my hair it will look amazing!

BluePizzaWalking Sat 06-Nov-21 19:27:42

I agree, sit in the shower tray with you foot outside the shower. You can buy special plastic bags of various sizes to protect body parts in plaster casts from water. I got mine online from Amazon

Calistemon Sat 06-Nov-21 22:35:57

Preferably on a shower stool! It's not easy to get down on the floor and up again with a leg in a plaster cast.

There's no need to leave your leg outside the shower as those waterproof covers suggested by several posters are very good and don't leak.

Lexisgranny Sat 06-Nov-21 22:48:49

Head over bath and a lightweight plastic jug.

Kryptonite Sun 07-Nov-21 11:48:43

Useful post, thank you!

Smurf52 Sat 20-Nov-21 17:26:05

The NHS provided me with a shower chair. I bought a clear sleeve to cover my cast from Amazon.