Gransnet forums

Chat

Flashing lights to show speed trap.

(86 Posts)
millymouge Tue 09-Nov-21 15:50:24

I was driving home with DH and dogs from a lovely afternoon in the country park. The route takes me through several small, very pretty villages all with a 30 mile speed limit, and I started getting cars coming towards me flashing their lights, DH commented that there was obviously a speed camera up ahead. I am always very conscious of my speed so was within the limit, and sure enough there was a police car parked up just off the road with a camera. I personally would not warn anyone by flashing lights of a trap because, goody goody me, feels you should try to stay within the limits. Would you flash, do you flash, do you think it is wrong or just motorist friendly to warn other drivers (who should be sticking to the speed limit)?

Calistemon Thu 18-Nov-21 23:41:45

I set my cruise control
Ours doesn't work at 20 mph which is the speed limit in many villages around here, but not all, unfortunately.

welbeck Thu 18-Nov-21 20:35:41

some of the attitudes on here remind me of when it was routine, thought ok to drink and drive.
sense of entitlement and stupidity; over-confidence in driving ability.
only through rigid enforcement has that attitude changed, and i think the same is needed for speeding/driving without due care and attention, eg chatting to friends, using phone etc.

ElaineI Thu 18-Nov-21 18:11:41

In parts of Edinburgh and all towns in East Lothian the speed limit is 20mph. I'm quite happy with that but find it is easiest to drive at that speed in 3rd gear which is probably not good for the environment. Roads are busier in towns now and driving fast is unsafe for child and elderly pedestrians.

Shropshirelass Thu 18-Nov-21 17:58:08

It is illegal to flash in order to warn other motorists and if caught you can be fined. Speed limits are there for a reason but many just ignore it putting lives at risk. I don’t flash any more, if they are speeding then they pay the penalty. Yes, I have been caught, twice in over 50 years of driving! Only 2 or 3 mph over the limit. I set my cruise control. Speedometers in cars are set 2 mph below what they show anyway.

Amberone Thu 18-Nov-21 17:51:15

I wish, wish, wish they would put speed cameras on the main road that runs through our village. It splits the village in half so there are constantly people crossing. It's been adopted as a race track from about 9 o'clock on - one of them actually roared up behind us one evening as we pulled out to overtake another car, then pulled into the inside lane to overtake us just as we were coming up to the car we were overtaking. I saw what was happening and had to shout at OH to brake and let him through. He missed both cars by inches and could have killed or injured all of us. Very scary. A number have been arrested but seem to be back on the road quite soon. During the day it is nose to tail for most of the day, thankfully, which keeps the speed down.

Magrithea Thu 18-Nov-21 17:30:05

It's an offence to warn another motorist of a speed trap - but they've got to catch you! I'm about to do an online speed awareness course after getting caught 5 mph over 30, right on the edge of the limit area, as I wasn't paying attention with a friend in the car!

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 11-Nov-21 13:00:40

Does anyone remember the episode of Endeavour where Bright, having been moved to Traffic, was dealing with some corrupt CID men and said that their superintendent’s reach didn’t stretch to Traffic?

Gabrielle56 Thu 11-Nov-21 12:36:20

True-traffic are not generally considered real police! That's why they're nicknamed 'plastics'!

Gabrielle56 Thu 11-Nov-21 12:34:58

Out of interest, we have always had very high powered cars but managed to not have any accidents. If you want to to speed and think you'll be a good driver at high speed why not book a track day, in your own car and see how far you get? It's great fun- if you know what you're doing of course

Kim19 Thu 11-Nov-21 12:33:12

Many years ago we were invited to join a police group who were having a pre Christmas celebration in the same hotel as we were staying. Great fun. However, when I made some jocular\cheeky comment about police the response was a resounding 'oh, p!ease don't ever associate us with them. We're traffic.' Never forgotten that nor the unanimity with which it was said.

Gabrielle56 Thu 11-Nov-21 12:31:39

Elvis58

Most people flash up here.l agree with Kim19. Money making exercise.

Well you're completely wrong! Police keep NIL income from traffic fines! And safety is always the motivation with mobile units, speed fixed cameras controlled by councils are moneymakers unfortunately and are often I. An area where speeding is usually controlled by double parking/narrow roads etc most income comes from teeny racers after hours so win-win eh? As there are almost nil traffic cars on our roads anymore due to tresemme getting rid of over 20k police jobs, we need something or do we want a wild west situation?

Gabrielle56 Thu 11-Nov-21 12:25:37

Being married to ex cop I KNOW that it is an offence of obstruction to warn of police activities in this manner and anyway , if someone's speeding, let them get caught it's no joke when's collision occurs and someone's hurt or worse cos drivers used to belting along!

Granjeanne Thu 11-Nov-21 12:17:02

I flash.

GreenGran78 Wed 10-Nov-21 23:56:52

There is a stretch of road where the police often park on the grass verge and catch numerous drivers. Most locals know about it, but I sometimes warn people who are coming to my house to be wary of it. I also cautioned my GC about it when they passed their tests and got their own cars. Despite this several have received tickets, including my GD.
I would never flash my lights to warn other drivers, though. Some people have to learn the hard way not to speed.

welbeck Wed 10-Nov-21 20:49:34

those people who believe in being able to speed without repercussions, can you explain why.
i don't understand it.
no one in my family ever held with speeding.
someone i knew said if he was driving my car he would drive it as fast as possible; that always did that to test a car's limits.
i realised that we were completely different tribes and i distanced myself. no point talking to people like that.

welbeck Wed 10-Nov-21 20:44:44

Sue, why would you be angry at your village having a speed camera.
i would be pleased if my village had that.

Soniah Wed 10-Nov-21 20:31:13

Sounds like some of you might be eligible for £1,000 fine!

Flossiebo Wed 10-Nov-21 20:28:19

I had a car barrelling towards me, clearly ( honestly, no question) doing well over the speed limit.
I flashed my lights and he gave me the thumbs up.
I had many miles of enjoyment, thinking of him crawling along country lanes looking for a non existent speed camera ?

Marydoll Wed 10-Nov-21 20:21:28

Last year in England, it became a criminal offence to warn other motorists of police carrying out
checks for people speeding. The Department of Transport says that flashing your headlights to warn
of a speed camera or a roadside police speed check is in breach of the highway code. Conviction
comes from a breach of section 89 of the Police Act 1996 which says it is an offence to "wilfully
obstruct a constable in the execution of his/her duty

I think the maximum penalty is £1000.

Calistemon Wed 10-Nov-21 19:47:40

Yes, our satnav beeps annoyingly when going along a certain section of motorway because she thinks we have left the motorway.

25Avalon Wed 10-Nov-21 19:00:30

Our current car beeps at you if you go 1 mile over the speed limit. Any more than that and a voice tells you want the speed limit is - except it doesn’t always get it right and tells you it’30 when it’s actually 40. I then have a conversation with it!

eazybee Wed 10-Nov-21 18:57:15

I like the signs that flash up your speed; everyone immediately slows down, which is surely the intention. I wish there were more, rather than traps to catch motorists out. Most people don't intend to break the speed limit, but it is difficult on roads where the speed limit changes from 30 to 40 back to 30 on a country road of five miles.

Elvis58 Wed 10-Nov-21 18:32:25

Most people flash up here.l agree with Kim19. Money making exercise.

Lemontart Wed 10-Nov-21 17:59:00

My driving instructor always said that flashing your headlights at another car means nothing officially. We can interpret it as meaning "Thank you" or "please pull out in front of me" or "you idiot for pulling out in front of me" or, indeed, "Speed trap ahead" but the onus is still on you to observe traffic, road conditions, speed limits etc.

Maggiemaybe Wed 10-Nov-21 17:14:28

The police should be spending there time trying to sort out the anti social behaviour that seems to be increasing lately

You do realise there are different sections in the police service? The Road Traffic Policing Unit will only be involved with very specific anti social behaviour.