Gransnet forums

Chat

What gets you up in the morning?

(110 Posts)
Sago Thu 11-Nov-21 10:29:07

This morning my 7 year old granddaughter was up and dressed in record time as her first pony arrived yesterday!
She was out feeding her first thing without my daughter having to go through the usual nagging and coaxing.

While all this was going on I was over a 100 miles away drinking tea and reading the papers online….. no hurry for me today!

I only get going quickly if I have to, mornings are deliciously slow for me at the moment!

What gets you up and at them?

Amalegra Fri 12-Nov-21 12:19:31

The knowledge that’s it’s another day in which to face current challenges (family!). I’d rather get up and at it and bully myself into a sense of some sort of optimism/confidence than lie in bed worrying! A cup of tea and the newspaper (online) does it nicely.

Theoddbird Fri 12-Nov-21 12:25:35

I get up because I see that laying in bed is a waste of precious time. I want to see the sun...I want to read...I want to sit and enjoy breakfast and a cup of coffee. Before I get out of my bunk I do my meditation though...sets me up for the day smile

Alioop Fri 12-Nov-21 12:35:27

My dog walk, although she's normally still in her bed needing coaxed to get out of it.

Joesoap Fri 12-Nov-21 12:42:47

My body clock I think, which wakens me at 9am promptly why I dont know, as other DN pain sufferers I dont jump out of bed any more but take things easy, then have a cup of tea and slowly move around until its get dressed time it maybe as late as 11 am if I have nothing planned,if something is planned then I get up earlier and still have time to take things easy.I think this is called getting old!

Cambia Fri 12-Nov-21 12:47:26

The very best thing about being retired is no rush in the morning. Wake up about six, tea, read the papers, do half an hour Greek Duolingo, play only three patience games as a reward for doing the Greek and then eventually get up about 8. Grateful every day for this as we used to be up at 5am for years every day.

Sawsage2 Fri 12-Nov-21 12:50:05

Just my body clock. Go to bed 2am, get up 11am.

Daisydaisydaisy Fri 12-Nov-21 12:51:19

Hi there ,
I've started exercising for the first time in My life...I always walked everywhere as dont Drive but since covid I put on some weight.I came accross Body project and Moore to health on You tube and enjoy it most of the time .at least 6 times week for an hour . The weight is starting to come off too yaaaaagrin

GagaJo Fri 12-Nov-21 12:53:48

silverlining48

It’s 11,15 am so time to get up. Have a Nice day all.

JEALOUS! I've done 3 hours of work by that time.

silverlining48 Fri 12-Nov-21 12:58:14

I used to have done 3 hours work too Gaga. Retirement does have some compensations. grin

Daisend1 Fri 12-Nov-21 13:00:06

That first cup of tea. Never in my view can anything compare.

GagaJo Fri 12-Nov-21 13:05:22

silverlining48

I used to have done 3 hours work too Gaga. Retirement does have some compensations. grin

I'm hoping that I can at least scale back on the work by 61. I'll still have to work (no pension until 67) but hopefully can cut down to 20/30 hours a week.

albertina Fri 12-Nov-21 13:15:24

You said "deliciously slow" and I love that. I am adjusting my life to deliciously slow after a lifetime of stress and rush, especially first thing in the morning.

I love going back to bed with my breakfast. My little dog has figured out my routine and doesn't even wake up.

readalot Fri 12-Nov-21 13:20:58

The toilet

Joesoap Fri 12-Nov-21 13:28:41

ExDancer, we will be thinking of you every morning hoping things might get better for you.

Happysexagenarian Fri 12-Nov-21 13:43:50

Mr Happy with a kiss and a cuppa, soon followed by a loo visit.

Tea and cake Fri 12-Nov-21 13:53:33

My dog wanting her breakfast and a walk.

travelsafar Fri 12-Nov-21 14:08:08

Like others the bathroom. Then depending on the time which can vary i get back into bed, especailly this time of year and snuggle down for a while longer. Usually check my phone for the news and emails and try to be out of bed by 8.30am. As someone said, time is precious when you get older, plus of course everything takes so much longer to do when you have chronic pain issues.

nipsmum Fri 12-Nov-21 14:39:45

2 small West Highland Terriers, 8 am on the dot. They walk their breakfast and a walk in the park.

Greciangirl Fri 12-Nov-21 14:58:04

A cup of tea.

Cabbie21 Fri 12-Nov-21 15:03:26

Usually the loo, but if I have already been towards the end of the night, I may sleep in a bit. DH brings me a cup of tea about 7.20, I drink it and do a few Codeword puzzles, whilst listening to Tim Lihoreau on Classic FM. I get up at 8.05 after the news.
On Tuesdays, I get up at 7.40 and pop over to Aldi at 8 for milk etc before breakfast.
If I have jobs to do, I am best getting them done straightaway, before I lose momentum. Then I get a great sense of achievement if they are all done by 11am. But most days, I spend too long online, catching up with news and GN etc and the morning evaporates.

123kitty Fri 12-Nov-21 15:39:22

The sunshine- I struggle to get out of bed most mornings through the winter.

Grannyflower Fri 12-Nov-21 15:46:57

Yep me too ?

pamclark Fri 12-Nov-21 15:54:54

My alarm clock, at 5.45 am - I'm an early bird and love my early morning swim at the gym! Exercise all done and dusted before the day even begins!

Saggi Fri 12-Nov-21 16:05:43

My 4 slipped discs wake me up …. that’s if I’ve been lucky enough to have had sleep . I reach for 3 prescription painkillers wait 1/2 hour for them to kick in and roll out of bed onto my knees and crawl up the side of bed till I’m standing …albeit Jack knifed. Downstairs for a cuppa…. and start getting my disabled husband up and ready for his day) which takes 2 hours) in my state of health. Like another on this thread …I HATE waking up!

cupcake1 Fri 12-Nov-21 16:13:45

The loo, desperate for a cuppa and the pain in my hip and back. Have a hot shower to ease the stiffness then if we’ve got no workmen or anything on laze around reading on line with another mug or two of tea. I’ve always been an early bird it’s a 6am start here DH the same neither one of us could bear to stay in bed once we’ve woken up. I’m just thankful to wake up these days and I absolutely loathe the winter!