Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's wonderful, warm and welcoming kitchen

(1001 Posts)
kittylester Fri 12-Nov-21 17:43:48

Hoping no-one else has done this.

We need to get things organised for soop's return.

Grandmabatty Sat 11-Dec-21 16:43:11

Newsflash. I have written the Christmas cards!!!
I've been putting it off so long that I was annoyed at myself. The housework is done, floors all washed too. Tomorrow I'm considering making Christmas biscuits. When will it end??

soop Sat 11-Dec-21 17:13:17

For one confusing moment, I thought that our kitchen was about to close and another needed tarting up in readiness for further visits from you lovely lot.

Sigh of relief. hmm It seems that I am a trifle premature.

Nothing would sadden me more than our kitchen door closing and there not being another for us all to gather in. Without your staunch support and uncompromising friendship, my life would be very much poorer. You keep my spirits buoyant. At times when I've felt sorry for myself, it is you who have made a very real difference.

I know that I may have said all the above many times before. No matter, it is important for me to keep reminding you of my gratitude. flowers flowers flowers

muse Sat 11-Dec-21 17:17:03

Hello kitchen peeps. It's been an afternoon of letter writing, more cards and phone calls.

I collected all our post yesterday after posting the first lot of cards. Our box is way up the track and there were three days worth of post in the box !

One card, with a letter, was from a neighbour I knew before I moved to Cornwall seven years ago. We both helped to keep the community garden / play area going. Our news catch up has always been at Christmas time through a letter.

I'd posted my card and letter to her yesterday before I knew the contents of hers. Her news spurred me on to ringing her today. We've just had a long chat. She is now almost wheelchair bound after being so active at the beginning of the year. Early in year she was diagnosed with myeloma in her lower back and is still having chemotherapy. This will be her first Christmas without her husband as he died a month after her diagnosis. She said she couldn't get used to not putting his name on the cards. It was lovely to hear her plans for 2022. Most of it wanting to help others. A very special lady.

Enjoy your evening everyone. I hope you pass by the kitchen tomorrow Grandmabatty if you make those Christmas biscuits.

Jaxjacky Sat 11-Dec-21 18:33:46

You and me both Grandmabatty I felt so guilty when two cards arrived this morning, I’m afraid baking will pass me by.
We’ve put up the tree, MrJ had to cut a bit off; decorated it, then I hoovered and washed the kitchen floor.
We had a delightful time with the GC’s, we’ll next see them Christmas Eve, although I washed their school uniforms and need to drop them over tomorrow, so maybe briefly.
Cards are posted too, as MrJ is one of 9, a few to post. He’s bought me a poinsettia, I’ll try not to kill this one as I normally do, mind you, I’m just rubbish with house plants.
Your kitchen is a safe haven for us all soop, we thank you.

Blossoming Sat 11-Dec-21 18:45:35

Good evening dear Kitcheners. The weather is horrible here so not been out. I will have to go out tomorrow as despite searching I cannot find where I put the darn Christmas cards! If I’m lucky I may be able to persuade Mr. B to go and buy me a box from Morrisons, where they sell some charity cards. It has made me tidy a few things and do some paperwork, so the day wasn’t wasted. I have done lots of walking up and downstairs in addition to my usual physio and cycling so definitely hitting the daily activity targets. TTFN smile

Grandmajean Sat 11-Dec-21 18:54:20

That's sad about your friend , Muse We should grab life while we can.
I kill plants too , Jaxjacky I reckon if I pay £7.00 for a poinsettia and get Christmas and New year out of it I've had my money's worth !
Easy to lose things at this time of year Blossoming - or any time really.
Soop you are most welcome.

brook2704 Sat 11-Dec-21 19:00:18

Another lazy day for me today, still isolating with covid but making the most of it as best I can. I’m making good progress with sorting out cupboards and getting rid of old books and CDs although getting DH to part with anything is quite tricky .. but we’re getting there
Always good to catch up with old friends muse she does sound like a special lady
I always struggle with poinsettias jax , I really like them but I think our house is a bit cold for them especially at night, they never seem to last long but I hope yours does well
Well done with keeping active blossoming it does make a difference

Grandmajean Sat 11-Dec-21 19:05:41

Sorry you are still in quarantine Brook
Our family meal now been moved from 18th to 27th because of blooming Covid !
Who knows if that will happen either

Doodle Sat 11-Dec-21 20:21:40

brook sorry about your result but glad you’re not feeling too bad.
Silverlining I’m sorry you are having to wait for treatment, I hope that you get seen soon and you are not in pain or discomfort while waiting. How annoying about your missing referral. The same has happened in the past to DH. Hope you can get it sorted out soon.
Grandmajean hope your DGD is ok and the Christmas plans can continue. Sorry about your little GS missing his play. Hope he’s ok too.
Urms I love the sayings of children. ?. P.S. in case you’re interested, no sprouts for me either. Muse you are welcome to mine too. Holding your DGD in my thoughts and prayers.
Suedonim such lovely news. I bet you are so excited.
Gagagran. Mince pie here too please ?
grannygravy that elf belongs in the Argy I think. ?

Doodle Sat 11-Dec-21 20:24:31

soop I have everything crossed for you. You deserve the very best of treatment.
TOYA ?

Nannytopsy Sat 11-Dec-21 20:56:12

Hello the kitchen! WI cake and plant sale this morning, then a hint of present wrapping, a bit of ironing, a quick flurry with the decorations and FOUR rugby matches!
There will be another early morning as nephew and family are coming to lunch tomorrow while they have a break in Suffolk.
It’s amazing that we are nearly ready for a new kitchen!
Sleep tight everyone and have a good day tomorrow!

Grannmarie Sun 12-Dec-21 09:05:57

Good morning, lovely Kitchen people!

My house is all decorated for Christmas, overseas cards and parcels were posted last week, and Christmas wrapping has started...but not finished....

A lovely family afternoon yesterday with DSs 2 and 3, DdiLs and DGS2. It did my heart good to see them, especially DGS2's wee face when he saw the tree and decorations. He's nearly 2 now, a happy, lively wee boy who brings us so much joy.

Today I will drive through to DS1's family, it'll be so good to see them. We'll attend DGD's theatre show and I'll stay there till Thursday to provide childcare for her and DGS1 while DS1 and DDiL are away. I'll take the rest of my cards to write !

TOYA, enjoy the rest of the weekend, stay safe. I'm off to do my Lateral flow test before visiting.

Gagagran Sun 12-Dec-21 10:05:47

Nearly time for a new kitchen! Shall we put some festive decs. up for Soop and Mr Soop? We should save them a job with all they have to ponder about and decide.

I am going to a Christmas concert by my old choir this afternoon in aid of the RNLI. I shall wear a mask and my festive top so that it gets its annual outing. Think there may be quite a few in the audience who have not returned to the choir due to the pandemic and restrictions around choirs. That includes me but I am also wary because of DH's health issues. It will be good to see old chums though.

I shall post my cards on the way having finally finished them yesterday!

I have left more mince pies on the table - help yourself. It's a new-to-me sweet pastry recipe and seems to be going down well with all the testers.

Have a good day everyone. sunshine

Grannmarie Sun 12-Dec-21 10:16:58

Thank you for the mince pies, Gagagran, very welcome with a cup of tea! Enjoy your concert.
I'm not a baker, so I'll bring a big pot of lentil soup and crusty bread to Soop's new Festive Kitchen, not long now!

Grandmajean Sun 12-Dec-21 10:37:17

Thank you Doodle both children are hardly ill at all. It is hard for their mum and dad as they are staying away from social situations too. It isn't compulsory but they feel it is fairer on others . They are doing regular LF tests too.
Had a whatsapp chat with the family last night and all are happy to have the meal I had planned ( roast turkey ) even though will have eaten it on Christmas Day ! Difficult to change as all already in freezer for the planned 18th December.
Am going to be busy as family on 27th then friends on the 31st and New Year's Day. Have some very complex lists !
Mild here today. Think most of the country is having a mild day.

silverlining48 Sun 12-Dec-21 11:48:27

Just heard my gd has tested positive, about the last in her class to do so. Dd and Sil both have demanding jobs involved with the public so will they have to isolate too? For how long I am not sure, Brain turned to mush. You say it isn’t compulsory grandmajean t assume advisory.

Grandmajean Sun 12-Dec-21 12:12:38

Not compulsory so long as lateral flow tests of household members remain clear. My DIL is a GP and she is still going to work .

Grandmajean Sun 12-Dec-21 12:18:25

Parents had PCR test when first child was positive Silverlining but as long as no symptoms develop they can go to work and test with lateral flow. Think DIL tests daily. Son working from home just now so can stay with children.

soop Sun 12-Dec-21 13:03:34

I shall be back very shortly to be sure of opening our new kitchen. Haven't gone far. smile

soop Sun 12-Dec-21 13:33:06

Right! Where was I? Sorry but I had an important job to finish., throughout which, I've worried that the kitchen might close and a new one not be opened.

soop Sun 12-Dec-21 13:39:38

I have read through so many posts, many of which relate to positive Covid results. So far, it seems, those of you with family members who have succumbed, are managing to cope with the buggerations it forces families to deal with. Please may the symptoms remain manageable. My best healing wishes to all those concerned.

soop Sun 12-Dec-21 13:42:15

muse Sad news about your friend's illness. Cards arrive here...some of which bear bad tidings. Some, on the other hand are most encouraging.

soop Sun 12-Dec-21 13:44:39

Many of you lovely lot bring cheer to our kitchen. You are all most generous of spirit. The home baked goodies will be ready and waiting on the buffet when we open the new kitchen.

silverlining48 Sun 12-Dec-21 13:48:20

Thanks grandmajean.
I am trying to think quite how many kitchens there have been Soop. I know it’s been many. Think your kitchen is as much part of gransnet as the Archers are to bbc R4 .
I hope things are going well with your medical situation and glad so many have been able to be of help. It’s a worry I know.

soop Sun 12-Dec-21 13:49:01

I need to confess that I am afraid. We both understand that at my age, (80) the risks of bad things occuring during major surgery increase. I love life. I love my husband, family, friends and I love you lovely lot.

There, I've said it. From hereon...positivity will be the name of the game. grin

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion