Gransnet forums

Chat

Rufus

(55 Posts)
seacliff Sun 21-Nov-21 10:43:47

Seems the thread has gone, why would anyone report that? Posters write from genuine concern and as a kind tribute. If you don't approve, just ignore.
Yes I was thinking of Rufus yesterday. Sadly because we knew of his deteriorating health, I now assume the worst. I enjoyed his irreverent humour, though I know some felt differently. He was a real character and I miss his posts. Good on ya Rufus.

gillgran Sun 21-Nov-21 15:10:14

I saw the title of this thread & thought, "Oh, I remember that name", I thought, " great, he's feeling up to posting again".
Sadly, it seems not to be the case.

These types of comments are because we care.

Kalu Sun 21-Nov-21 15:11:06

Welcome Lucca. ?

Mapleleaf Sun 21-Nov-21 15:42:01

Surely it’s human nature to enquire about someone you haven’t seen or heard of for some time - this is certainly true in real life so why not in this virtual life? We come to recognise regular posters, and when they suddenly stop posting without saying they are leaving, or having a break, it’s only natural to show concern and hope they are alright. I can’t see why that would be a reason for deletion of a thread unless it perhaps becomes speculative, which I don’t see in this thread at all.

rafichagran Sun 21-Nov-21 16:10:17

I am having a bad day, I even got your spelling wrong the second time. Lucca sorry,
I had probably just read something you posted. I have a headache so will keep of forums for the rest of today as I am not concentrating.

Namsnanny Sun 21-Nov-21 16:19:26

Lucca

Aaargh! I’m not even on this thread !!

??????

Namsnanny Sun 21-Nov-21 16:21:27

rafichagran

I am having a bad day, I even got your spelling wrong the second time. Lucca sorry,
I had probably just read something you posted. I have a headache so will keep of forums for the rest of today as I am not concentrating.

Sorry you dont feel able to concentrate rafichagran but oost if you want to. We all get off days!smile

Riverwalk Sun 21-Nov-21 16:35:00

I think it's probably the speculation as to the health/possible demise of a member than GN objects to - fond reminiscing of late members like Greatnan and Jings is very different, IMO.

Rufus went AWOL for a time and there was much speculation and assumptions - someone suggested checking the death notices in the local press, and then he came back!

If he'd wanted other posters to be informed as to his welfare or demise, he would have surely instructed a family member/friend to make an announcement.

Namsnanny Sun 21-Nov-21 16:36:45

All good points Riverwalk

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 21-Nov-21 16:40:42

Well I thought that Rufus was back and I’m disappointed to see that I am mistaken.

Calistemon Sun 21-Nov-21 16:41:59

Chewbacca

You're so very wrong about this kali. When posters go missing, either due to illness, name change or even their demise, other posters enquiring about their well being is because they care about them. It's a sign of how popular and well respected they were/are and that their posts were valued and are now missed. Did you take issue with the threads about our old friend Phoenix?

I didn't realise a thread had been deleted and I wonder why.

No, it's surely not wrong to wonder where a poster is, especially one who started a thread every day with news from Down Under.

Bluesky and others - me too. I get regular news from Down Under but Rufus's news gave a different perspective on what was happening.

If he'd wanted other posters to be informed as to his welfare or demise, he would have surely instructed a family member/friend to make an announcement
I don't think I would.
I wonder how many would do that?

Calistemon Sun 21-Nov-21 16:43:57

Lucca

Aaargh! I’m not even on this thread !!

Were you lurking Lucca
? ?

muse Sun 21-Nov-21 17:02:48

Thank you for starting the thread seacliff I recall a couple of posts from Rufus in September.

When I first posted on his evening threads, we chatted a lot about Cornwall. I live very close to where his wife, Vera, came from. Love his sense of humour ?

Kali2 Sun 21-Nov-21 17:14:36

Apologies as I never had a conversation with Rufus and was not aware of his health issues. I still feel uncomfortable about discussing someone who is not able to join in and probably unaware.

Hope he is OK.

Farmor15 Sun 21-Nov-21 17:24:36

When he joined there were some who seemed rather sceptical of his sense of humour. I responded to some of his early threads and was glad he persisted and was accepted as a valued member after a whilesmile.
I don't think anyone would miss me if I disappeared, but I don't think there is anything wrong with enquiring about a member who has been open about their health issues.

seacliff Sun 21-Nov-21 17:48:36

"muse Sun 21-Nov-21 17:02:48
Thank you for starting the thread seacliff "

There was actually an earlier thread today, and sorry but I can't remember who started it. I had been thinking of Rufus yesterday, so I started composing a reply, when the thread was suddenly zapped. Hence the second thread.

MayBeMaw Sun 21-Nov-21 18:02:59

Kali2

Apologies as I never had a conversation with Rufus and was not aware of his health issues. I still feel uncomfortable about discussing someone who is not able to join in and probably unaware.

Hope he is OK.

Sometimes it’s good to be in possession of the facts before sounding off let alone reporting. hmm

Jaxjacky Sun 21-Nov-21 18:18:20

Ah well, we all make mistakes MayBeMaw.
My post on the deleted thread was deleted before the thread was!

Calistemon Sun 21-Nov-21 18:22:35

I'm beginning to wonder what was so contentious on the thread as I didn't see it.

I do hope old Rufus is ok but don't feel optimistic. sad
I know some posters reported some of his posts but he was an old man and probably of his time (and had lived in Australia for very many years!).

Lucca Sun 21-Nov-21 18:27:41

Maybe it was just gnhq who decided to delete it ? Feeling a bit bored ? No political argy bargy going on ?

Rafichagran….worry not, I thought it was funny!

Calistemon Sun 21-Nov-21 18:30:17

They don't know unless a post/thread is reported, Lucca as this site is "lightly moderated" apparently.

I expect a post of mine to be deleted on another thread because it will be reported. The moderators would never notice it otherwise.

Kali2 Sun 21-Nov-21 18:32:03

MayBeMaw

Kali2

Hope he is OK.

Sometimes it’s good to be in possession of the facts before sounding off let alone reporting. hmm

Perhaps you didn't read my post, I didn't report. Even now I am aware of the facts, I haven't changed my mind about discussing someone without them knowing it.

Megs36 Sun 21-Nov-21 18:32:46

It seems Rufus had many admirers. (His fan club)! Many of us had private correspondence at various times, My memory goes back before the pandemic when he and I expressed a view that didn’t agree with some others, in fact I believe he was banned for a while ?. Wherever he may be now let’s just remember his comments, and opinions, we all have them.
Cheers ????????

Jaxjacky Sun 21-Nov-21 18:36:40

Cheers Megs ??, to Rufus.

muse Sun 21-Nov-21 18:48:26

Cheer from me too. Currently with an G+T in hand. I recall Rufus likes a sherry,

Calistemon Sun 21-Nov-21 18:51:30

I wasn't in a fan club ( never have been! ?) but I used to enjoy his daily reports from Oz.

Cheers Rufus, yes, I have a very dry sherry to hand.