Gransnet forums

Chat

Uncritical support for trans ideology is a bad idea - a calm explanation of why this is.

(106 Posts)
FarNorth Mon 22-Nov-21 12:23:47

A 6 min video from Catherine Robillard, explaining her views.

youtu.be/nnD5LXeGNPA .

Doodledog Mon 22-Nov-21 19:14:59

The link between homosexuality and transsexuality is spurious at best. The 'sexual' thing about trans is, as mentioned on the video, autogynaephilia, or the male fetish about 'being' a woman. If this were linked to homosexuality, presumably there would be fewer 'lesbian' transwomen insisting on being assumed to be real women and ignoring the fact that many lesbians are not interested in sex involving penises.

The idea that gay men are just feminine men, and lesbians masculine men is idiotic, anyway. For some reason we are often treated to a lecture on the history of feminism, or attitudes to gay people, but none of that has any bearing on this issue, as anyone who had watched the (very short) video would know.

Mollygo Mon 22-Nov-21 20:05:00

The difference between VS and most posters is that most posters
-do not deny that trans have rights, but agree that these rights should not erode the rights of others.
-do not blame all transwomen for the crimes of the few against natal women, but do blame those few who commit the crimes especially against natal women, for claiming to be women and compelling natal women to refer to their assailants as she.
-do not blame all trans people for safeguarding failures of law enforcement but don’t accept those failures being used as an excuse for the few dangerous trans to make use of, to cause fear and danger to natal women.
- don’t expect the estimated but unproven number of trans to carry the crimes of the few. (Not sure where the figures came from but happy to be told.)
Noticeably, posters on GN say that they know of trans people who live peaceably, without attacking women, or the rights of women, or demanding that people declare their pronoun, or claiming to have changed sex.
VS can’t blame trans, but is unwilling to accept that many posters don’t blame all trans.
I don’t see any apologies from VS for the appalling behaviour of the few trans, which make the acceptance of the many more difficult.
The post by the OP makes concerns clear in a reasonable manner, but there is no mention of that either.
Since VS has ‘hidden’ the thread we’ll never know whether she watched and listened or didn’t bother.
Thanks again FarNorth.

lemongrove Mon 22-Nov-21 20:46:16

Doodledog

CR speaks perfect sense. I really hope that she doesn't pay the price for daring to speak out, and the fact that I have to hope for that speaks volumes.

We are constantly told that transpeople are the most vulnerable members of society, which this article challenges very well, but we only ever hear of violence from TRAs against women. In any case, the claim is another bit of sleight of hand by Stonewall, as unless there is a register of transpeople it is impossible to measure their experience against that of any other group in society.

I believe that Stonewall is doing a lot of damage to the trans cause by making people hostile to it because of the extreme pronouncements and lengths that they and their followers go to. They really don’t get that do they?

NanKate Mon 22-Nov-21 20:49:09

Well done Catherine Robillard for such a clear and straight forward explanation. I wish she could be shown our comments here on GN. ?

NanKate Mon 22-Nov-21 20:50:29

I agree Lemongrove.

Doodledog Mon 22-Nov-21 20:53:11

I believe that Stonewall is doing a lot of damage to the trans cause by making people hostile to it because of the extreme pronouncements and lengths that they and their followers go to. They really don’t get that do they?

Bullies tend to rely on shouting others down, spurious statistics and intimidation. I don't think they are necessarily good at strategy.

Since Stonewall moved from being an LGB pressure group to a trans one, they have alienated lesbians and gay men (and probably bisexuals as well), and are doing a great job of creating hostility amongst the general public of all sexual persuasions.

FarNorth Tue 23-Nov-21 01:23:44

Allsorts

I won’t be watching it, I haven’t heard anyone speak about trans that are not biased and hypo critical of those who are heterosexual.
No doubt her loyal followers will.

I'd be interested to know in what way you find Catherine Robillard to be biased and hypocritical.
If you won't watch it, of course, you won't know whether she is or not.

I hope that others, with open minds, will watch the video and if they find fault with it, will say so.
(I had never heard of CR before coming across this video, nor had several others on here, so we are definitely not 'loyal followers'.

Doodledog Tue 23-Nov-21 01:35:56

I hadn’t heard of her either. She seems like an ordinary woman, not a rampant transphobe - the sort who would run the book club and be a stalwart of the WI.

Elegran Tue 23-Nov-21 01:52:42

I liked her hat.

AGAA4 Tue 23-Nov-21 08:23:11

Maybe she should have a word with Stonewall. Some of her common sense may rub off on them.

Lucca Tue 23-Nov-21 09:56:07

I was going to post about this. What I don’t t get is how the trans community talk a lot about needing to feel “safe” eg at Sussex (?) university ….so how is JK Rowling supposed to feel “safe” with all those death threats ?

I am not remotely anti trans by the way.

Also violet sky comes on and says her piece and declares she’s hiding the thread …..end of debate I guess,

FarNorth Tue 23-Nov-21 10:06:05

I think the activists' "reasoning" is that transphobes / people who disagree with them are less than human so anything goes.
I couldn't guess at the "reasoning" of organisations & venues which claim "we want everyone to feel comfortable" when it has just been pointed out to them that they are making a lot of women very uncomfortable by, for instance, making the women's facilities mixed-sex.

Nannashirlz Tue 23-Nov-21 12:46:31

At the time when jk put her first Twitter I supported her being a 100 per cent woman lol and the amount of abuse I received from trans ppl was unbelievable along with many other woman. I reported loads of them. I got ppl like me etc I said what a real woman who is being bullied if you removed your dress you are a man abusing a woman. So why is that except nowadays

GagaJo Tue 23-Nov-21 15:17:02

Lucca

I was going to post about this. What I don’t t get is how the trans community talk a lot about needing to feel “safe” eg at Sussex (?) university ….so how is JK Rowling supposed to feel “safe” with all those death threats ?

Also violet sky comes on and says her piece and declares she’s hiding the thread …..end of debate I guess,

Is there any wonder VS is hiding the thread?

There is no debate possible on GN because of the pile on and vitriol throw at those that don't toe the party line.

Another GN member is on hiatus and I have more or less stopped bothering to participate because of the lack of civility.

This site is fast becoming a GC site only. If ordinary, cis, older members are being treated this way, I can only imagine how anyone trans feels.

Doodledog Tue 23-Nov-21 15:32:16

There is no debate possible on GN because of the pile on and vitriol throw at those that don't toe the party line.

Please stop the posturing, GagaJo. People can read the threads for themselves, and see that the 'vitriol' tends to come from the TRAs. Yes, people respond in kind at times, but there is no 'party line', and any 'pile on' is just because there are more people who object to being dictated to by the Stonewall agenda than there are those who bow to it - it's a matter of numbers, not collusion or ganging up.

The thread about parallels with Pro-lifers, for instance, began with an offensive and inaccurate premise - both groups were described in ways that nobody identifying as belonging to either would accept, and things went downhill from there, with more inaccuracies, ignoring of questions, accusations of lying, homophobia, Nazism and so on - all coming at the gender critical, not from them. People can draw their own conclusions without you needing to post on other threads giving a very partial account of events.

Lucca Tue 23-Nov-21 15:51:08

GagaJo

Lucca

Is there any wonder VS is hiding the thread?

Another GN member is on hiatus and I have more or less stopped bothering to participate because of the lack of civility.

This site is fast becoming a GC site only. If ordinary, cis, older members are being treated this way, I can only imagine how anyone trans feels.

Gagajo please tell me how my post is any way vitriolic ?

Lucca Tue 23-Nov-21 15:52:04

I happen to agree with JK Rowling. I happen to not be anti trans.

FarNorth Tue 23-Nov-21 16:30:49

GagaJo what are your views on what is said in the video?

GagaJo Tue 23-Nov-21 16:31:37

Don't complain about people decamping elsewhere then. You can't have it both ways. Hound people that disagree with you when they have the temerity to do that and complain when they leave.

Doodledog Tue 23-Nov-21 16:35:53

Who is hounding whom? And who is complaining about anyone leaving?

Hiding a thread is not leaving, and nor is taking time out when you realise that you have wrongly accused someone of lying.

If anyone else has left, or 'decamped', they will have their reasons, but being 'hounded' is not likely to be one of them.

Chewbacca Tue 23-Nov-21 17:10:04

Don't complain about people decamping elsewhere then. You can't have it both ways. Hound people that disagree with you when they have the temerity to do that and complain when they leave.

Eh? Who's complaining? confused They can decamp to wherever they want, when they want; they're not contractually obliged to post anywhere!

I'm tired of repeating this because I, and oh so many others have said it ad nauseam but, I'll try again.... there is no issue about anyone living as a trans man or trans woman; they have my 100% support to live how so ever the choose. BUT, I find it increasingly worrying that a small, but very vocal minority, bully, physically threaten, hound, vilify and attempt to ruin any one who dares to say "Hang on a minute, could we slow down a bit and consider how other vulnerable sections of society will be impacted by this?" Stonewall has done the trans movement no favours at all.

FarNorth Tue 23-Nov-21 17:17:37

GagaJo I posted the video in the OP.
I asked what you think of it, since you posted here.

If you aren't interested in the video, why are you on this thread apparently quarreling with other posters?

Mollygo Tue 23-Nov-21 17:20:40

Whose posts are you referring to as vitriolic GagaJo?
Who is complaining that someone has left?

I’ve noted the hiding the post, but that’s not a problem. If someone wants to do that, why not?
Clarify hounding.
I don’t need to repeat what Doodledog or Chewbacca have posted but I agree with their posts.
What do you think about the contents of the video, GagaJo? Or are you “not going to watch it” like another poster? It’s your right, but the thread started with the video.

Chewbacca Tue 23-Nov-21 17:54:33

Chiwetel Ejiofor is neither gay nor trans. He played the part of Lola, the drag queen in Kinky Boots. Should he apologise and promise never to do it again? Or should he just be left alone to do the job that he does very well..... act?

Chewbacca Tue 23-Nov-21 17:55:04

Wrong thread! blush