Gransnet forums

Chat

Does anyone else think they spend too much time on here?

(42 Posts)
Atqui Sat 27-Nov-21 20:20:11

I’m thinking of going cold turkey for a week. ( I don’t think anyone will say”Where’s Atqui?”), but I seem to be spending too much time checking posts and think , as someone on the book thread said , I should be reading a book or doing something productive.Does anyone else feel the same?

LauraNorderr Sun 28-Nov-21 10:37:47

Definitely addictive. If you enjoy it, it’s not hurting anyone, better than alcohol addiction, gambling, smoking and many other harmful addictions.
It’s really just a chat over the garden wall and you get to choose the subjects that interest you.

MayBeMaw Sun 28-Nov-21 10:39:21

Think?
KNOW tchblushtchblush

Urmstongran Sun 28-Nov-21 10:42:39

Josianne ?

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 28-Nov-21 10:47:11

I definitely spend too much time on here when I ought to be doing things I don’t want to do such as housework.

Poppyred Sun 28-Nov-21 11:07:21

My iPad informs me every Monday morning of how much time I’ve spent on the internet in the last week. ?☺️

Doodledog Sun 28-Nov-21 11:07:22

I'm online for a lot of the day anyway when I'm working. Popping in here every now and again is equivalent to chatting over the desk between tasks. I'm often up late, too, as I don't sleep well, and logging on is better than watching late night TV, which is pretty awful.

I've never thought to time myself, as I feel no compulsion to be on here. I would worry, though, if I found myself noticing how much time other people were spending on here - now that's obsession grin.

Hetty58 Sun 28-Nov-21 11:12:30

I just take a look while I'm having a coffee. (I drink a lot of coffee!) If I'm tempted to sit around 'hibernating' too much, then I put the kitchen timer on.

Atqui Sun 28-Nov-21 11:51:01

Hetty That made me smile!!

BlueSky Sun 28-Nov-21 12:30:57

LauraNorderr

Definitely addictive. If you enjoy it, it’s not hurting anyone, better than alcohol addiction, gambling, smoking and many other harmful addictions.
It’s really just a chat over the garden wall and you get to choose the subjects that interest you.

Well said Laura! smile

BlueBelle Sun 28-Nov-21 12:45:38

Yes I do but living alone it becomes a companion I do have long periods in the day when I m not on when I m working or shopping etc but yes when I have free time I do feel it eats into other hobby time

AGAA4 Sun 28-Nov-21 16:32:01

I am on here a bit more than I was and it is much better than cleaning and ironing.

Jane71 Sun 28-Nov-21 17:21:28

I'm comfortable with my time on GN as I only come on occasionally.

Lucca Sun 28-Nov-21 17:22:50

It depends. I’m not well at the moment so I’m on more than usual. In any case I tend to check in a few times a day. Why not ?
And imagine making a comment about “other/prolific” posters. A bit off I’d say.

Millie22 Sun 28-Nov-21 17:50:26

I just have a look a few times each day to see what's happening ... if anything. Usually read the GM thread and any others that interest me.

Have noticed that Calistemon you seem to have lost an l recently.

Josianne Sun 28-Nov-21 18:07:24

I guess it depends what is meant by "prolific" posters Lucca. Is it those like me who churn out four or five posts on a variety of threads before breakfast and then return at tea time? Or is it those who steadily write posts all day long but maybe keep themselves to one or two threads. Then there's the question of the length of posts, and surrounding research that has taken yet more time. That's what I meant easier about having stamina or not.
Hope your health picks up soon.

Josianne Sun 28-Nov-21 18:08:10

earlier not easier