Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday 28th November 2021

(55 Posts)
Michael12 Sun 28-Nov-21 06:04:10

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , but its dry and no snow to be seen where I am in Brackley .
After spending the day in yesterday for a change .
Today, watch TV have lunch and maybe a kip this afternoon , and plan my week ahead .
Take Care,
Mick

Mapleleaf Sun 28-Nov-21 09:02:19

Good morning,

It’s a much calmer morning than yesterday, but still looks very chilly. We didn’t get snow near us, but it was in the surrounding areas. I’m just so pleased the strong wind has passed.

A quiet day in store today.

Hope you all have a good day.

LauraNorderr Sun 28-Nov-21 09:11:36

Good morning Mick good morning all. Dry but dull in Anglesey this morning. Those pesky winds of the night before have even stripped the leaves from the evergreens but at least we have our roof intact.
Orlins turn to cook today so it’ll be a lovely big roast.
Have a good Sunday everyone ?

EkwaNimitee Sun 28-Nov-21 09:14:24

Good morning Mick and everyone from Carlisle where it has started snowing this very minute! Large flakes and it looks like it won't be just a brief shower. Not a gardening day!
I have a list of little jobs to do including writing the Australians' Christmas cards which I am hoping to post tomorrow in town, snow permitting. Otherwise, it will be a bit of reading and scanning in my last batch of DH's photos. That's a project that's gone remarkably quickly. I thought it would take all winter as I'd had a large cupboard full of albums.
Thanks for the laugh, Urmston, Matt is a clever fellow.
And love the sunrise Ashcombe, I miss the lovely Solway sunsets here as I'm surrounded by houses now.
Have a good day all, with snow or not as you wish.

Kalu Sun 28-Nov-21 09:22:18

Good morning all from Glasgow, covered in snow here too.
We felt it chillier last night and bumped up the heating now we know why it was so cold and looking at the sky, there is more to come. It’s such a pretty sight and so very quiet outside.

A day indoors then where I may look at the to do list or decide to do some basic housework and then settle snugly down for a few episodes of Hanna. Gripping stuff.

Wishing a pleasant, peaceful Sunday to all.

aggie Sun 28-Nov-21 09:23:18

Good morning everyone, no snow here ! It is dull and very still .
Washing blew off the line yesterday , not mine , I have a couple of clothes horses indoors !
Just got word that Eldest might be visiting between Christmas and new year , he changes his mind and back while I am left with a tidy spare room , but if I leave the junk he turns up ! I love to see him but I do like to know what the plans are .

Grammaretto Sun 28-Nov-21 09:25:33

Good morning from a winter wonderland here in the Scottish Borders.
The white stuff is still coming down but luckily it was fine yesterday for the first anniversary of DH's death.
I surprised myself! I only cried once when the pipe band played at the opening of the Town Hall after its year long refurbishment. (both hall and band)
DMiL and other family came to tea. I had made soup and pudding and she brought her home-made cheese straws. At 96 she can still cook. She apologised that she had only bread flour and not the proper kind!
DS poured the champagne and when I said "it's proper!" he said yes I gave it to you.

I am envious Jax of your Boiler man! I am happy for you but wish I could get my cooker installed. I think I have waited since July when the old Rayburn was condemned.

I will come back and read some more soon.
Hope everyone has a pleasant first Sunday of Advent.

BlueSapphire Sun 28-Nov-21 09:33:12

Good morning everyone from a bright blue-skied Northampton, but cold, -2°C today. No plans for today except stay in the warm.

Amused myself yesterday by making cranberry and ginger vodka for Christmas. It's sitting on my kitchen windowsill, and I have to give it a good shake every day for a couple of weeks. Picture included, I hope!

Then in the afternoon sat down to compose my Christmas letters on the laptop. They are all saved so I can tweak them later should I need to add to them or change them, and ready to print.

Hope we all have a peaceful Sunday.

Dogsmakemesmile Sun 28-Nov-21 09:37:13

Good morning from a white Scottish Borders. Have made lentil soup and will start on a curry later. Presents to wrap and presents to find. I have an annoying habit of putting things away and spending a lot of time looking for them at this time of year.
Thinking of you all especially Grammaretto.

Gingster Sun 28-Nov-21 09:43:15

stillearning - the story if you’re friends clutch made me giggle out loud ??. Yes I remember those buttons you had to pull out. Isn’t it strange how quickly you forget these things

Nannagarra Sun 28-Nov-21 09:43:39

Good morning from the Sefton coast where it’s 3C but I wouldn’t say it’s nithering. A friend from Yorkshire, a retired MFL HOD, introduced that apt word to my vocabulary some years ago. No ☃️ here.
A Mary Berry lasagne (discovered thanks to Lucca) has been requested by my family. Apart from that I’m supplying refreshments to the roofers and thinking of more jobs which need to be done!
Warm wishes that you all have the best day possible. Keep warm and safe folks.
???☃️?☀️ ?

harrigran Sun 28-Nov-21 09:46:42

Good morning from a very cold NE where we have snow.
No damage to my house but there are a lot of trees down and house walls that have collapsed in to the street and on to cars.
Our seafront and lighthouse appeared in online newspapers yesterday, the waves were reaching the top of the lighthouse.
DD and SIL were supposed to be visiting his brother last night but weather conditions were too bad to travel and they were at risk of power cuts. We settled down with a nice bottle and watched Freddie Mercury.
DS and family were coming this afternoon but where they live is always the first to get snow and the last to melt so not sure they will make it.
Take care, it is icy out there.

Forsythia Sun 28-Nov-21 09:52:23

Good morning from south London where today is cold and bright with a clear blue wintry sky. No snow here luckily. A quiet day ahead for us, emptying and stacking pots in the garden followed by a roast dinner later on. Hope you all have a good day. Good wishes to those who are suffering.

Jaxjacky Sun 28-Nov-21 10:08:19

Grammaretto since July!!! That’s dreadful, are you still managing? Shall I send my chap up? I wish I could.
Thank you BlueSapphire you’ve reminded me to print out the certificates I’ve received for buying the GC’s saplings through the National Trust. All too easily forgotten filed away online.

Grammaretto Sun 28-Nov-21 10:29:09

Thank you Jaxjacky! I manage with an electric ring and a microwave. As it's just me now most of the time - it's fine and on the plus side I use it as an excuse when I'm asked for home-baking and I have frequently been asked out for meals smile
I haven't made a Christmas cake or Black Bun yet this year either, which I normally do.
Thanks Dogsmakemesmile

Grandmadinosaur Sun 28-Nov-21 10:33:28

Good morning from East Yorkshire. It’s a bright sunny sky but very cold and we have a layer of snow on the ground and the cars. I got up to the bathroom at 1.30 and it was there then. Had a bad night sleep after that. Don’t know if it was that extra glass of fizz I had, too many chocolates while watching Strictly or what it was.
Currently DH is upstairs doing a good clean all round. He’s not a bad old thing really ?
We will pop out somewhere later. As we have a nice new dining table we are in the look out for some place mats that do it justice more than the old ones.
DS and Dgs are joining us to eat later. We are having hog in a duvet. It’s a large oblong of sausage meat covered in bacon. I got it in the local butcher and am giving it a trial run ahead of C. Lunch .
Take care all.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 28-Nov-21 10:39:18

Morning Mick and all

Kate this morning.

We had a lovely day in London yesterday, we have never seen Covent Garden so busy!!!! It was freezing walking along the South Bank. Much laughter, good memories made and lots of reminiscing.

Will now settle down and read the thread.

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️?

hollysteers Sun 28-Nov-21 10:53:19

Good morning Mick and all from a still but dull Lancashire coast.
My brother in law died last night (five years after my husband, his older brother) after a difficult time unhappy in his nursing home and suffering strokes. I am travelling south anyway on Wednesday to stay with DD for a couple of days (he lived in London) but it looks as if I will be making another sadder journey in the not too distant future.
Now to make some phone calls, but a quiet day here.

Urmstongran Sun 28-Nov-21 10:59:50

hollysteers ?

Blossoming Sun 28-Nov-21 11:05:50

Good morning Mick and everybody.
It’s dry and overcast in my corner of Lancashire. Currently 1°C. It was very cold overnight and the garden pond is frozen but there’s no ground frost. No slippy roads and pavements. No real plans for today, other than making sure I have everything I need for tomorrow’s first NDPP meeting.

Stay safe and warm all ??

Grandmadinosaur Sun 28-Nov-21 11:06:28

Sending condolences hollysteers a sad time ?
GG13 Your day out in London sounds wonderful especially at this festive time. I’m very envious.

Blossoming Sun 28-Nov-21 11:07:00

My condolences Hollysteers

Grandmabatty Sun 28-Nov-21 11:13:10

Condolences Hollysteers ?

LauraNorderr Sun 28-Nov-21 11:16:06

Hollysteers flowers

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 28-Nov-21 11:38:48

Good Morning all from dry Harrogate
Decided to go to A&E yesterday, just in case. Seems I'd cracked a few bones in my left wrist and right elbow! I was feeling quite sorry for myself so excused myself from my stewarding duties at the Art Exhibition. Will be going to collect my pictures later this afternoon.
This morning after I had put my slow cooker on, and put a wash on, My DD2 arrived with DGS. He was a bit amused by my splint and plasters!!. They re joining other DD and DGD to go swimming and then on to a water park near Doncaster.
"BlueSapphire" not sure a brew like that would be safe on my windowsill, it would probably be sampled until there was none left!!
My sympathy to you "Hollysteers", so sad.
Have the best day you can folks (what's left of it)

gillgran Sun 28-Nov-21 11:58:48

My sympathy for you, hollysteers.

Sounds painful Gwenisgreat, take care.

flowers for all of you.