Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday 28th November 2021

(54 Posts)
Michael12 Sun 28-Nov-21 06:04:10

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , but its dry and no snow to be seen where I am in Brackley .
After spending the day in yesterday for a change .
Today, watch TV have lunch and maybe a kip this afternoon , and plan my week ahead .
Take Care,
Mick

grandMattie Sun 28-Nov-21 06:46:40

Good morning from a dark dismal E Kent. The forecast is not promising - cold and windy.
At last! I’ve been trying for the last 30 minutes to come in but kept on being given an error message.
Quiet day again. I wonder whether we’ll have to wear a mask at church. I find the combination of spectacles, hearing aids and mask not very good - either the glasses or aids go flying when removing the mask!
Glad that Urms sense of smell is creeping back. Hope that omicron”s appearance doesn’t dash our plans for DS1 to come home for Christmas.
Hope that today is quiet for everyone, pain, anxiety and sorrow are put aside for a while. Carpe diem. ???☀️?☀️??

Beechnut Sun 28-Nov-21 06:47:34

Good Morning Mick and all who follow from Severnside. Dark, dry and cold.

I felt quite chilly yesterday evening. I wondered if it was from my booster. I changed into bedclothes and cosy dressing gown and wrapped myself in a blanket then fell asleep followed by an early night.

After the winds I can see that the protective cover I put on my olive tree is over in next doors garden. I also noticed that some branches on a tree were making the top fence move so I’ll cut them off sometime soon.

Today I hope to make a few more Christmas cards and do some sewing. I’ve a cushion cover to make and I have some work to do on the kitchen blind as a few of the cords have snapped.

Take care all and enjoy your roasts ??

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 28-Nov-21 06:52:41

Good morning from a dark and damp Cornwall, the gales have gone but my word didn’t it blow, spent over an hour in traffic yesterday on what should have been a 15 minute journey as a huge oak tree had fallen across a main road, such a shame to see a very old tree cut into chunks later, but at least nobody was injured. Then a very cold and windy day shopping in Truro.
We’ve spent a good weekend doing an early Christmas present run and took GD out to buy her 18th birthday gifts, so a happy time, we rented a lodge so we were able to have them all to dinner both nights, as DD2 travelled with us it was a nice family occasion both evenings.
Back home later this morning, let’s hope the weather stays clear.
Hope all who follow have a good day with some smiles along the way.

Grandmabatty Sun 28-Nov-21 07:09:22

Good morning all from Polmont where it's 1° and snowing. There's a light covering on the cars and road. I couldn't sleep after a couple of bad nights so I'm up with a cup of tea watching the flakes meander down in the dark. I hope everyone keeps safe.
Yesterday I drove to Stirling to pick up my son. The trains were cancelled and he was keen to see his new nephew. Big brother was thrilled to see his uncle. Then I drove him back afterwards. The rest of the day I did some housework and pottered.
Today I will walk to Aldi and get bread and milk. I'm making lasagne for dinner. Apart from that, I have no plans to go anywhere. Have a good day all.

Ashcombe Sun 28-Nov-21 07:14:49

Good morning, all, from a calm but cold Torbay after a very windy Saturday! I really appreciated the comments regarding my appointment debacle yesterday.

We only ventured as far as my church over the road to attend the Christmas Fair, which was well supported. People were pleased to be there for the first indoor event of this kind for two years. DH enjoyed meeting folk of whom I had spoken and was made most welcome.

Another cold one today is forecast and my thoughts are with those without power or with snowy conditions to face. Take care and keep warm! ?????

Scentia Sun 28-Nov-21 07:24:36

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire where it could be cold but I haven’t even been out to feed the Guineas yet so I will guess that it is cold!
I am having an easy day today, I am shattered after my sale Friday and clearing up after that. If I do another I will keep it online as I fold more stuff yesterday than on the actual sale day. My total will be £172 that I will be sending to Staffordshire Women’s Aid
I am very proud of myself and grateful to all my buyers.
I think I will find it difficult doing nothing today so I may just fill my empty pots with soil to stop them blowing around the garden! Actually I could bleat them cupboard out under the stairs too?
Grandmabatty I hope it’s the nice snow you are getting ours yesterday was that horrible slush!!
Have a great Sunday everyone and put those masks on if you go in a shop or on public transport, we don’t want another winter of discontent❤️

Scentia Sun 28-Nov-21 07:26:09

*clean that
I do wish I stopped to check my spelling before posting ?

AGAA4 Sun 28-Nov-21 07:30:16

Good Morning from North Wales. Very cold up her on the mountain.
My poor little GS is ill
again. He keeps picking up viruses from nursery. He missed out on the snow yesterday.
I have an early dash out but will be glad to get back into the warm.
Wishing everyone a peaceful, pleasant day.

Gingster Sun 28-Nov-21 07:39:18

Good morning and al last the wind has dropped here in Essex.
Last evening I sat in with two of the dgds (12 and 15), while the parent were out for a meal with friends. We had a cosy time in the glow of their gorgeous Christmas tree, watching Strictly and having hot chocolate. A lovely evening, with lovely girls. ❤️

Our car is booked in for the 13th December ?. Needs a new clutch. No garage could fit us in earlier. We can use it but I’m worried it will seize up again. We have two steep hills to get out of our road to go anywhere, and it’s always a crawl in the traffic. I think this is the reason the clutch has gone! . ?.
I have a busy few weeks with concerts, lunches out Christmas shopping and appointments so I’m not sure how I will manage tbh!
A new car is on the cards.

Today DD , partner and youngest DGD are going by coach to Norfolk for a trip on the Polar Express. They have to wear pyjamas , so will wear plenty of layers underneath . Brrrr! ?.

I’ve only just got the gammon out of the freezer - hope it’s defrosted by late afternoon. It’s not big.

Wishing you all a pleasant Sunday. ?

Grandmajean Sun 28-Nov-21 07:48:00

Good morning all.
Bitterly cold here in Cheshire.
Don't plan on venturing far today but need to make some lists to kid myself on that I am well organised for the weeks ahead.
That sounds like a lovely evening *Gingster"

Urmstongran Sun 28-Nov-21 07:49:39

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where it’s dry, calm and quiet. The town centre is like a suburban road for a couple of hours on a Sunday. You could hear a pin drop. The Pennine ridge is quite clearly visible this morning. Always a good sign and there’s a beautiful apricot sunrise behind it. I would take a photo but I’m posting Matt’s cartoon instead!

Himself nipped into Aldi yesterday down in the square and said it was really busy. He used his own initiative and came up with a boneless side of salmon, broccoli and some mushrooms so that’ll be our Sunday lunch sorted. Sad not to be joined by my stepfather yet again but better safe than sorry.

Your description of the snow sounded pretty Grandmabatty. I love to sit behind glass and watch it, especially in the dark. We’ve had none here.

Hope GG13’s family get together in memory of her mum was enjoyable if bittersweet. The 4 y anniversary of my mum’s demise comes up soon. I miss her very much. She would have been 90y last week. I’m so proud of how my stepfather copes now on his own. He misses her I know but is the type of person who concentrates on looking forward IYKWIM so he doesn’t dwell.

Enjoy Sunday all who can. x

baubles Sun 28-Nov-21 07:50:57

Good morning Mick, morning all from snow covered South Lanarkshire. It isn’t deep and I’m hoping it will disappear before too long although the sky does look very heavy.

This morning myself and a friend have volunteered to start serving teas in the hall after Mass, I’m thinking we won’t have many takers if the weather doesn’t improve.

Must do a food shop then start writing Christmas cards so I can get the ones going to far flung places sent off.

Hope your little GS improves AGAA4.

Wishing everyone a peaceful Sunday.

Pantglas2 Sun 28-Nov-21 07:54:15

Good morning all from a dry north Wales where I’m awaiting a newspaper ? and ☕️ - Mr PG is late (I daren’t scold or he’ll go on strike?)

Horrendous weather yesterday has subsided to a calm warm day here at seaside and I hope lauranorderr keeps the weatherbarn doors open all day for more of the same!

Lasagna for us as well grandmabatty but I’ll have to crack on with bolognaise sauce first and pear and blackberry crumble to follow...?

A peaceful Sunday to all x

Ashcombe Sun 28-Nov-21 07:57:42

Just taken this from my bedroom window. A blessed Sunday to everyone. ?

Nannytopsy Sun 28-Nov-21 08:06:38

Good morning Mick and all his followers. It’s overcast and breezy in Suffolk but not nearly as nasty as yesterday. I have bath sheets waiting to be washed and today might be the day!
It must be cold as the towel radiators have come. They live a secret life of their own!
Sewing, tidying up and baking today. I hope the day is kind to everyone.

multicolourswapshop Sun 28-Nov-21 08:09:50

Good morning everyone it’s here quiet as a mouse. Glad to say I’ll be having a day indoors. My snowball fighting days are over.

Have a safe day all who venture outdoors in that weather . grin

brook2704 Sun 28-Nov-21 08:13:02

Good morning everyone from Inverness where we’ve a covering of snow and it all looks very wintery.
DH is off to work soon, his sumner gardening job at a local pub restaurant changes to clearing out and relaying the log fires in the restaurant in the winter. Usually takes just a couple of hours so he’ll be home by lunchtime. There’s a Christmas fair on locally so we might venture out to that later - will see!
Sorry to hear your DGS is poorly Aga hope thes feeling much better soon
The 13th is a long time without a car Gingster especially as it’s such a busy time of year, is the bus an option? If it’s driveable I’d use it only if really necessary and with a back up plan in place
Hope today is kind to all, take care everyone with the weather as it is just now ?

monk08 Sun 28-Nov-21 08:21:21

Good morning all from the Black country. Sun breaking through, but we are frozen over everywhere and there is snow around.
Roast lamb for dinner, family are coming I'm out of practice cooking for 6.
Tablet needs charging so will catch up with everybody's news later.
Enjoy your Sunday and may you all find some ?.

Stilllearning Sun 28-Nov-21 08:24:23

Another good morning from S Lanarkshire where I got a real surprise when I opened the blind, I didn’t think the snow would come this far west but, like baubles we are quite high.
Oh, it’s back on again. It may inspire me to make a start on those Christmas cards!

A lovely FaceTime chat with my Oban grandchildren yesterday. DGS was telling me all about his hopes to study prosthetic engineering and was explaining exactly what that would entail when 12 year old DGD chimed in from the background ‘She’s sleeping now’! She is very quick and does make me laugh.

As did Matt Urms, thank you!

Gingster your clutch problem reminded me of a young colleague when I started work. Do you remember when there was a little knob that you had to pull out when you started the car before you could engage the clutch? Well she had to have two major repairs before the puzzled garage mechanic discovered that when she got in the car she pulled it out and hung her handbag on it?!

Wishing everyone a good Sunday???

Greyduster Sun 28-Nov-21 08:30:15

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. The sky is clear as a bell in South Yorkshire and it is nitherin’ (to all non-Tykes: extremely cold!). The light covering of snow we had yesterday has completely gone but DD told me last night that in their part of the city they had four inches. They live closer to the edge of the Peak District than we do and always get an extra bucketful! We have no plans today except to try and get a short walk in later. Roast chicken for dinner, and an apple and blackberry pie to follow.
Have the best day you can, folks, and hugs to those who need them.

Marydoll Sun 28-Nov-21 08:37:23

Good morning all from a very chilly Glasgow. No snow here, Grandmabatty, and please don't think of sending any here!

I plan to do absolutely nothing today, I hardly sat down at all yesterday,
It's pretty exhausting trying to maintain the ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐, at Hotel MaryDoll, DD has very high standards! I forgot to put a chocolate on her pillow, which will mean one less ⭐ on Trip Advisor wink

Early yesterday morning, we got what phone call on the landline, we knew right away that it was Dollie, but pretended we thought it was a scam phone call.
She was not a happy bunny because she had phoned the previous evening, when we were at the golf club and some silly lady (the answerphone) kept asking her to leave her name and number! Why hadn't we told her we were going out? It was quite amusing, since we haven't been out at night, since the start of the pandemic! This phone call would never have happened six months ago. My son is like a totally different person now.

It was a very strange visit ​to church last night, some people were surprised to see me thought I had died! ? I was shocked to see how the health of some parishioners had deteriorated and how elderly others had become. ?
My sister in law's friend is covering for me just now as sacristan, I'm a stickler for protocol and I'm sure she thought I was checking up on her, which I wasn't! It all felt very strange watching her carrying out my duties, but I need to be realistic.

We came home to discover, DD had treated us to an Indian takeaway. It was the tastiest I have had in a long time. There were will be no need to make Sunday dinner today, we are going to dine like kings on the leftovers!

Scentia congratulations on your achievement and Urms, you must be so relieved to get your sense of taste back!
Baubles the tea lady, its good to that after Mass teas are starting up. It's a great social event in our parish. I know that if I'm trying to nab someone, I will usually find them in the tearoom!
Hoping that * Mr Greyduster* continues to improve and that he is behaving!
Grandmabatty, DD has just come in to say they are off home. Its sn❄wing now here!

I will come back and read the posts properly, Wishing you all a very pleasant Sunday!

Anniebach Sun 28-Nov-21 08:37:50

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Pittcity Sun 28-Nov-21 08:43:13

Good morning from Colchester where the temperature is 1° (feels like -7°) . Breezy but dry.
My upper arm and shoulder is achy after my booster yesterday. I'll have a couple of ibuprofen with my breakfast and I'll be fine.
Wrapping up and popping to the shops later while DH does a bit more painting. He's done about a third of the house and slowly the "beige" look is disappearing.
Roast chicken tonight.
Love to all. Keep warm x

Jaxjacky Sun 28-Nov-21 08:49:24

Good morning from a clear, dry, cold S Hants, the high winds have gone. There were flurries of snow yesterday near Winchester, not far away.
Boiler man came and temporarily fixed the pressure problem, he’ll be back next week for a permanent fix. MrJ got the Christmas stuff down from the loft and queried why I’ve bought more wrapping paper, oops.
Enjoy your Sunday all, hopefully a ? or two for you all especially those not 100%.