Gransnet forums

Chat

Thermals.

(41 Posts)
beautybumble Sun 28-Nov-21 12:13:37

Hi. Can anyone advise on the best thermal gloves and vests for women please? I don't want to take pot luck and have to send it back again. I would like to be a bit warmer this year. Damart are good but a little pricey? Thank you.

Amberone Sun 28-Nov-21 17:39:30

I use M&S Heatgen too. I love them because they just look like scoop neck, long sleeve t-shirts - depending on the weather I wear them under a thin cardigan, a thick jumper or just a coat. The colours are great - I've got them in blues, teal, red, purple, black and white (bought over three years).

beautybumble Sun 28-Nov-21 23:35:23

Thank you everyone. I've gone for M&S . I looked into Tesco but they were very thin. The ones I ordered will last me for quite a while.

mokryna Sun 28-Nov-21 23:53:05

Damart irritates my skin, you could try uniqlo’s heatteck thermal underwear. It can be bought online if there isn’t a shop nearby.

mokryna Sun 28-Nov-21 23:55:04

Posted too late.

NotAGran55 Mon 29-Nov-21 06:13:47

Uniqlo Heattech is fantastic. 3 differing levels to chose from, all sorts of different styles . Often on offer,

www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/women/innerwear-and-loungewear/innerwear

ninathenana Mon 29-Nov-21 09:20:58

I'm quiet surprised how many of you wear vests.
I haven't worn one for about 55 yrs or more

Forsythia Mon 29-Nov-21 09:22:45

They don’t look like vests really. Mine are more like long sleeve T shirts with thermal properties. Not granny vests as such.

Jenn53 Mon 29-Nov-21 12:46:32

As I am asthmatic I must wear thermals in winter and find those at Marks & Spencer really good. Also, Uniglo does some nice Heatech(?) long and short sleeved vests. The thermal socks are good too.

Milliedog Mon 29-Nov-21 12:52:20

I have some M and S thermal tops but they are quite clingy and I'm sure you can get warmer ones - I just haven't found any yet. May try Damart....

Madashell Mon 29-Nov-21 13:45:33

M&S thermals for me. Does anyone else tuck their vest into their pants? As I’m getting older I hate gaping around the waist especially when I’m gardening, decorating or whatever when it’s a cold day, so have taken to this ancient practice. A big thumbs up for big, well fitting knickers.

Nagmad2016 Mon 29-Nov-21 14:27:18

I've always enjoyed M&S thermal vests. Damart are also good. I bought a silk vest for wearing under sweaters to prevent itching. It is very comfortable, but not that warm.

Qwerty Mon 29-Nov-21 16:40:50

I'm with Mapleleaf. For thermal, woolly gloves I usually buy Thinsulate ones in the sales from outdoor shops in the Lakes, pre Covid obviously.

Smurf44 Mon 29-Nov-21 17:33:37

MadasaShell. I thought everyone always tucked their vest inside their pants! How else do you keep your waist and lower back warm? I live in a cold Victorian house so a vest is a must for the winter months, though I don’t usually wear one in the summer. My 92 year old mum is horrified I don’t wear a vest in a heatwave! But she has always tucked her vest well inside her baggie knickers for years!
I’ve been wearing sleeveless 100% cotton vests from Matalan for a few years. They are not thermal but come in two lengths (both are long enough to “tuck in”) and at around £4 are good value. They look like extra-thick t-shirt material (not sure if it has a special name) and can be round neck or V neck. They wear and wash well too. ??

Dorset Mon 29-Nov-21 18:09:30

M&S Heatgen. Feels light and comfortable yet so warm. Brilliant variety of neck shape too, e.g polo neck.

avitorl Mon 29-Nov-21 18:47:22

I have just ordered M&S Heatgen tops from Ebay after reading this thread.I've gone for leggings too so I hope they will keep me warm throughout winter. Thanks all x