Gransnet forums

Chat

What has made Gransnet angry this week?

(146 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 01-Dec-21 21:39:51

I'll start!

A child in a covid suit.
Asylum seekers being picked up by the RNLI.

BrightandBreezy Wed 01-Dec-21 23:54:54

The fact that organised crime is making millions from sending desperate people across the chañnel. These frail boats and life jackets are poor protection against Channel waters and the criminals are cynical about human safety so long as they get their money.
Also annoyed that the whole of Europe seems to want to make this an entirely British problem. Everybody knows that asylum seekers are supposed to seek asylum in the first safe country they come to but it's more convenient, and cheaper to turn a blind eye and allow them to travel through several countries until they reach Calais. Can't see France processing them as new potential French citizens. From their perspective why should they? Some other country has also allowed them to pass on into France. It is a whole of Europe problem but no-one seems willing or able to catch the traffickers or find s humane way of dealing with the desperate people.

Kalu Thu 02-Dec-21 00:44:51

The bloody pop ups!! Extremely irritating.

Hear, hear Grammaretto - I despair that people just don’t get it. ?

grannyactivist Thu 02-Dec-21 00:52:04

Hello BrightandBreezy, I don’t think I’ve responded to you before. smile

It can be very hard to sort out fact from fiction, so I hope the information below, might make you feel slightly better.

In 2020 Germany had the highest number of accepted asylum seekers in Europe at over 128 thousand people, followed by Spain and France at 124 thousand and 86 thousand respectively. When compared with EU countries, the UK ranked only 14th out of the individual countries in terms of the number of asylum applications per capita. [Official UK Govt figures.]

Neither the 1951 Refugee Convention, nor EU law requires a person to claim asylum in the first safe country they reach. People trying to cross the Channel can legitimately claim asylum in the UK if they reach it. The ‘Dublin Regulations’ is a system (not a law) which allows one EU country to require another to accept responsibility for a person who has claimed asylum when specific conditions apply, including that the person is shown to have previously made a claim of asylum in another EU country. The intention is that asylum claims are then shared more evenly between EU countries.

However, the Dublin system only operates within the EU and it will cease to apply to the UK following Brexit.

I do share the general anger and concern about illegal trafficking and the lack of safety for the passengers, but until we permit legal means of arrival this sad state of affairs will continue. ?

Elegran Thu 02-Dec-21 08:47:25

BrightandBreezy On other threads at other times, you have used the words "As a Christian, I . . . " and "I would help them in an emergency, as I would help anyone . . ." so I assume you know the story of the Good Samaritan? I believe he is a role model for professed Christians?

The Samaritan who helped an injured traveller didn't say that the man might be a criminal, or putting on an act so as to get hospitality, he just dressed his wounds and looked after him.

What makes his actions noteworthy is that Samaritans were not a wealthy or powerful nation. They were of a different religion from the victim, and from a tribe which was despised by the majority of citizens and generally not expected to act generously. Unlike Britons.

Beswitched Thu 02-Dec-21 08:49:21

I'm a bit speechless at the opening post.

lemongrove Thu 02-Dec-21 08:55:04

Beswitched
I think this thread is a mistake all round.

Iam64 Thu 02-Dec-21 08:55:48

I’ve been angry about
- The misinformation about asylum seekers being perpetuated as ‘truth’ on gransnet and elsewhere. So thankyou granyactivist and Elegran for responses that restore my faith

- very angry and desperately sad at the number of media reports covering the criminal trials of parents who tortured and murdered infants and children.

nanna8 Thu 02-Dec-21 09:15:39

I’ve had a lovely week and nothing to be angry about really, only thankful. It makes me cross that the news is invariably unpleasant, more so in Britain even than here in Australia which is bad enough. They are so very negative and miserable.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 02-Dec-21 09:20:04

A post asking if the poster brought her mother back to the UK from the S American country she was born in and had decided to return to, so she could get better medical treatment here, would ‘the government’ give her a property, and said poster not confirming whether the mother had ever paid tax and NI here so as to entitle her to a pension and benefits despite some posters having given very helpful advice. I guess the answer was No. That made me very angry. Now everyone can tell me how horrible I am.?

glammanana Thu 02-Dec-21 09:32:45

Protesters at RNLI stations protesting and potentially stopping people being rescued they should be ashamed of themselves in my opinion.

MaizieD Thu 02-Dec-21 09:40:15

Germanshepherdsmum

A post asking if the poster brought her mother back to the UK from the S American country she was born in and had decided to return to, so she could get better medical treatment here, would ‘the government’ give her a property, and said poster not confirming whether the mother had ever paid tax and NI here so as to entitle her to a pension and benefits despite some posters having given very helpful advice. I guess the answer was No. That made me very angry. Now everyone can tell me how horrible I am.?

So angry that your post is virtually incomprehensible.

Which thread are you talking about?

Zoejory Thu 02-Dec-21 09:43:33

I know what post you're referring to, Germanshepherdsmum
No idea what the title was.

I did wonder if it was real. Seemed rather unusual.

Bellanonna Thu 02-Dec-21 09:48:22

Beswitched. Thoroughly agree. I had to read it twice in case I’d misread it.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 02-Dec-21 09:51:56

Maizie, I'm hopeless with links but it was a post under 'Care and Carers' meant to be entitled 'Can I get my mother another house' I think but poster's English wasn't good. Sounds as if mine isn't much better! Anyway if you want to read it you can give me a good blasting for being angry!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 02-Dec-21 10:34:58

I read the OP of that thread germanshepherdsmum I decided not to read the thread.

Frustration and anger seems to be seeping into many threads at the moment. Which is one of the reasons I am posting less.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 02-Dec-21 10:58:50

The British government for dangling carrots in front of these illegal immigrants - I'd want to go to a country that offers housing and money to those who arrive on our soil! I often think Britain is sinking with the weight of these illegals!

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 02-Dec-21 11:05:08

If you’re referring to the thread I mentioned Gwen, there was nothing to suggest that the person who might be coming back to the UK would be doing so illegally. She had lived here at one time. It was just her family’s assumption that she could come back here, having decided to return to Colombia where she was born, for better medical treatment and be given a property, with no evidence that she was entitled to a UK pension or benefits.

trisher Thu 02-Dec-21 11:23:07

The biased, ill informed and racist views spread by this government and a right wing media and swallowed whole by some GNers who really are old enough to know better and who should research and find out about subjects but instead regurgitate the crap they are fed.
This country has an unacceptably low number of immigrants. It treats asylum seekers appallingly. It has an asylum process that is protracted and incomprehensible. It returns people to high risk countries. It treats them inhumanely when they are held in detention centres and when they are deported.

AGAA4 Thu 02-Dec-21 11:26:46

Most of the subjects of the posts above would inspire anger especially child abuse for me.
I don't know whether going over them again is a good idea. Do we want to feel permanently angry?
If you can do something about any of the issues eg give the charities that help people then do that. If there is nothing you can do anger won't help.

Galaxy Thu 02-Dec-21 11:27:42

A lot of the threads about a problem within the family are trolls presumably with the aim of making people angry. I didnt see that particular thread, and wouldnt comment on the veracity of individual threads but I would be very wary of those type of threads, especially if they are very long!

3nanny6 Thu 02-Dec-21 11:36:49

This week I have been angry because several times I have gone on threads to post and after carefully writing a post and then previewing to check for mistakes before posting I found that the preview button done nothing and then trouble with the post button also so after waiting a message came up saying host error. it has been happening all week.
I will try this post today and see if it goes through, all so annoying.

Elegran Thu 02-Dec-21 11:46:22

Gwenisgreat1

The British government for dangling carrots in front of these illegal immigrants - I'd want to go to a country that offers housing and money to those who arrive on our soil! I often think Britain is sinking with the weight of these illegals!

No carrots dangled in front of them - how can the government give anything at all to an illegal immigrant who hasn't even told them that they are here? It takes red tape to allot money to anyone, even when they have paid NI for years, and they can't work to earn any.

If they are intercepted they are stuck in bleak barracklike places until their request for asylum is considered, which could be a long time ahead, and they are not given anything more than what will keep them alive until then. No entitlement to benefits or any other priviliges of citizenship.

Where do you get your facts from?

MaizieD Thu 02-Dec-21 11:49:32

Galaxy

A lot of the threads about a problem within the family are trolls presumably with the aim of making people angry. I didnt see that particular thread, and wouldnt comment on the veracity of individual threads but I would be very wary of those type of threads, especially if they are very long!

It's interesting what makes people angry. I had a quick look at the thread in question, the poster was given good advice and there really wasn't enough detail to make a judgement on it. I can't get worked up about it.

MaizieD Thu 02-Dec-21 11:52:15

Where do you get your facts from?

I think that calling them 'facts' is crediting them with a veneer of credibility that they don't deserve, Elegran

Elegran Thu 02-Dec-21 12:03:16

I should have put the word into inverted commas! So-called "facts".