Gransnet forums

Chat

Smoking weed

(221 Posts)
annsixty Fri 03-Dec-21 17:46:36

This is a very bold question posed after reading an answer on another thread.

Do/have you ever smoked cannabis and did you like it?

I was watching a tv programme recently where people got very silly smoking it and I shocked my GD by remarking I would quite like a puff to see what it was like.

deedee27 Sun 12-Dec-21 21:55:44

Hate smoking as parents used to smoke in the car, so associate all smoking with throwing up! In the UK cannabis is cut with tobacco, so it’s always been a definite no, no from me!

catey Sun 12-Dec-21 21:59:41

The smell of whatever we are calling it is what I absolutely hate. I live in social housing with shared garden so windows, doors, accesss are all close together (2-3ft) and my closest neighbour is a woman of same age as me who smokes regulary. She has explained it is for various health problems which of course I cannot comment upon. But the smell is terrible especially in summer, when her also smoking adult daughter visits daily and our upstairs neighbours come down to enjoy the garden and all underneath my kitchen window. I think they well know I don't like it but I never comment as not only does the smell make me sick, (I adopted a small kitten from her years ago, took weeks for the smell to get out of his fur) but I have strong opinions about the suppliers and the use of slave labour and young teenagers to grow and deliver the stuff and its association with the frequent stabbings and even shootings in certain areas of our city. I can also smell it from meters away on passers by in the street, shops, buses and think it is totally anti social but nobody can complain for fear of backlash.

Excuse the rant but I just think there is so much hypocritical minimisation of the harm done and as I say I personally hate it. Ironically my neighbour who uses for her health and CBD potions also is a strong anti-vaxxer, another thing we can't discuss and why I am stand offish.

GagaJo Sun 12-Dec-21 22:38:27

I have a friend who has smoked it daily (when he could get it) for over 50 years. He held down a responsible, professional job with no problem until retirement.

I appreciate some people dislike it and I'm not a user myself. But I think the idea that weed is some terrible drug, while tobacco, cigarettes, caffeine, pain killers and many addictive prescription drugs are fine is hypocritical.

All cultures have some form of drug that some members enjoy like peyote, salvia, ayahuasca and betel (I'm not advocating them, just pointing out).

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 13-Dec-21 08:31:59

I smoked a little when I was younger, had left home. A friend knew a supplier. It never became a habit and only once gave me the giggles, mostly it had little effect on me. My sophisticated friend preferred a spliff as it gave him a feeling of well-being without having to go to the loo too much like alcohol. I didn't use it very often and grew out of it. I sometimes wonder how his life panned out since.

Hetty58 Mon 13-Dec-21 08:58:32

GagaJo, you didn't mention alcohol - a far more dangerous drug - with an awful negative impact on our society.

TwinLolly Mon 13-Dec-21 09:02:57

My friend used to smoke his home grown weed but I never partook. However I tried it one day on the proviso that he didn't smoke it - so that I felt safe and that he could keep an eye on me. It didn't do sod-all for me! smile

TwinLolly Mon 13-Dec-21 09:04:39

Dad wanted to get it for my mum to help her rheumatoid arthritis symptoms as he had heard it works for some people. She declined.

GagaJo Mon 13-Dec-21 09:12:49

Hetty58

GagaJo, you didn't mention alcohol - a far more dangerous drug - with an awful negative impact on our society.

Yes, of course Hetty!

Having had alcoholic family members, I whole heartedly agree.

Mummer Mon 13-Dec-21 10:58:23

Chestnut

About 8 years ago I said to an old friend I'd never tried it in my youth, so he obtained some quality cannabis resin. We sat down with a glass of wine, and smoked it. I felt absolutely nothing, no reaction at all! He was very disappointed as he had gone to some trouble and thought I would enjoy the experience.

Ditto! I tried some of DS when he was at uni. Nothing/zilch/NADA/ waste of effort.however DS still partakes I believe and has completely derailed his life from when he was at uni. He was doing pharmacy masters and now does PET testing in a van.........I suppose he's happy but doubt it struggling to keep home and 3 GK on rubbish money+in work benefits . Not the £75+k he should/could have been earning at 40 but hey ho! It's his life and what do I know I'm only his older wiser Mother.....

Atqui Mon 13-Dec-21 11:09:04

Yes alcohol is a dangerous drug but as far as Onknow doesn’t involve using children to supply it

Minerva Mon 13-Dec-21 14:33:14

Yes and yes for a while in the 60s and it made me very giggly and aware of beauty in my surroundings, trees, the wind, the sea, a church I had never looked twice at, the stars in the sky.

Then we spent time in Asia and twice smoked a spliff, once in the home of a diplomatic couple we stayed with in Delhi and once bought in a famous pot shop in Kathmandu. Both time we had wild hallucinations, the first time I thought everything that was said I had already heard and my head pounded until I thought I was going mad. The second involved cockroaches the size of cats running everywhere in our hotel room. I have no idea what else could have been in the weed but that was it, never again.
I now know personally a few people who developed psychoses as a result of smoking weed from a young age and I’m thankful my youngsters did not have any interest in it. Perhaps tales of the cockroaches put them off.

Purplepoppies Mon 13-Dec-21 17:32:37

Yes I do. Have done since a teenager. I prefer resin but its becoming more difficult to get. I'm not overly keen on the stink of grass tbh, I'm not sure I could keep that private from my neighbours either......
I could mix with alcohol when I used to drink. I have a friend who has to do it in a certain order or they're unwell.
Its very prevalent where I live, I often pass youngsters who reek of weed, or get on buses smelling of it. I don't remember being so blazè about it when I was younger.
I think its time to legalise it. Its working well in Canada.

JaneJudge Mon 13-Dec-21 17:35:05

I wish I had some now tbh

tickingbird Mon 13-Dec-21 17:56:19

It can be dangerous to developing brains and cause terrible psychosis in some. It also causes users to lose all desire to ‘do’ anything but dream of what they’re going to ‘do’.

Grass (skunk) is definitely worse than hashish and smells awful. I cycle and the amount of cars that go past leaving a pungent smell of weed in their wake is pretty shocking.

It does, however, as someone commented up thread, give one an appreciation of music especially. Pink Floyd aren’t known as the stoner’s choice for nothing smile

Kryptonite Mon 13-Dec-21 18:49:37

Why would anyone do this to their brains? Also, supporting criminal gangs.

MissAdventure Mon 13-Dec-21 19:28:30

That's how I feel about alcohol.

SaraC Tue 14-Dec-21 10:42:57

Amused that this post was just above the one asking for gift ideas for 95 year old MIL! Problem solved? Happy Christmas ??

MissAdventure Tue 14-Dec-21 10:56:23

It certainly would be a happy one! smile

Buddleja Tue 14-Dec-21 11:32:20

Bear in mind that in addition to increasing the risk of psychosis cannabis affects memory.

cupcake1 Tue 14-Dec-21 12:45:43

DH and I tried some in Amsterdam because we then smoked normal cigarettes we didn’t think it would affect us - wrong! Felt drunk, couldn’t walk in a straight line and very giggly. It was like being drunk but knowing exactly what you’re doing! Have to admit though it got rid of all my aches and pains I had at the time due to a back problem so I can understand it being taken for medicinal purposes. If I was in constant pain I would take it without hesitation otherwise never again.

Buddleja Tue 14-Dec-21 14:15:11

Cannabis is implicated in psychotic breakdowns for some people and it affects memory in everyone.

Iam64 Tue 14-Dec-21 18:36:56

Buddleja

Cannabis is implicated in psychotic breakdowns for some people and it affects memory in everyone.

Thanks Buddleja. This is a largely relaxed and positive discussion on the use of cannabis. It does make pain more tolerable but the potential negative impact on mental health shouldn’t be dismissed. It does Impact negatively on memory. It is implicated in psychotic episodes. Some individuals never fully recover

MayBee70 Tue 14-Dec-21 18:42:29

Heck. I read that as Buddleja cannabis is implicated in psychotic breakdowns and thought back to one night in my youth when we all decided to try smoking catkins (what was all that about?). But I don’t mean to make light of it as I know several people that have been permanently affected by drug use.

Saetana Wed 15-Dec-21 03:33:03

MollyF Shoutout for the acid - had some fantastic trips back in my 20s! Some people are so po-faced about recreational drug use - if it was legal then we wouldn't need to buy from criminals, although I think many people are confusing dealers of hard drugs with those who sell weed, acid etc. I've met hundreds of people who smoke cannabis in my lift - and not ONE of them was offered hard drugs by their dope dealer! Its an urban myth - people who sell heroin and crack do not sell weed, not enough money in it.

Saetana Wed 15-Dec-21 03:37:09

deedee27 - Please don't spread misconceptions - cannabis in the UK is NOT cut with tobacco, why on earth would anyone do that? Some people smoke their cannabis without tobacco, or use it to make edibles, the rest of us are a happy enough adding our own. Where on earth did you get that ridiculous idea from?