Gransnet forums

Chat

Smoking weed

(221 Posts)
annsixty Fri 03-Dec-21 17:46:36

This is a very bold question posed after reading an answer on another thread.

Do/have you ever smoked cannabis and did you like it?

I was watching a tv programme recently where people got very silly smoking it and I shocked my GD by remarking I would quite like a puff to see what it was like.

silverlining48 Sun 12-Dec-21 15:43:08

In my day it was called hashish and the cigarettes were reefers. I never did it then, no one I knew did, but would give it a try now as long as i could eat and not smoke it. Would need to be sitting down ( well you never know ),!

gulligranny Sun 12-Dec-21 15:50:04

I'm with Secondwind - never had the slightest desire to try it, although I've been in enough Brown Cafes in Amsterdam so probably took in some second-hand smoke!

AnnieB4 Sun 12-Dec-21 15:52:28

Yes tried it a few times many years ago...smoked it, ate it in cake... very little effect...but had some in Israel...much stronger... really knocked me off my head but never a big fan..preferred to get drunk!

Bazza Sun 12-Dec-21 16:07:17

I tried it some years ago in Amsterdam when I was in my sixties. I’ve never taken any recreational drugs and was just curious. I had a space cake as I don’t smoke, and after about an hour I felt absolutely dreadful and was as sick as a dog. Never again.

Authoress Sun 12-Dec-21 16:08:38

Yes and yes. I suspect I'd prefer low carb cannabis brownies these days :D

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Sun 12-Dec-21 16:09:57

Yes, just once, not so long ago, and it was fab. Don't know if I'd do it again but I thought I'd try it and enjoyed it.

Yammy Sun 12-Dec-21 16:57:18

No never tempted even as a student. Don't smoke tobacco either or really drink much. A cheap to run ex Methodist as DH calls me.sad

Caro57 Sun 12-Dec-21 17:11:48

Yes years ago - it was ok, nothing more or less. Stopped because it wasn’t worth wasting money on and I didn’t want the tobacco that it was mixed with. Wouldn’t touch today’s stuff with a barge pole - unless for medicinal reasons. Also tried CBD cream & capsules for shoulder pain - waste of money

Jane71 Sun 12-Dec-21 17:12:35

Are there any legal issues with answering this question?
We used to use it years ago, but mainly in cake as we don't like smoking. Haven't used it for ages, but may consider it again if the chance arose.

PamelaJ1 Sun 12-Dec-21 17:24:17

No, never and I’m not sure why. I was usually up for trying most things but somehow I was never tempted by drugs.

It was everywhere where I lived and I could have accessed it easily. Thank goodness I didn’t. One more thing to give up and smoking was bad enough.

Thisismyname1953 Sun 12-Dec-21 17:43:18

My son has just said that he was given 2 £5 notes in his change today which reeked of weed. He promptly passed it to his wife towards paying for his petrol. She said the smell was on her hands till she could wash themconfused at home

SunnySusie Sun 12-Dec-21 17:49:44

Tried it as a student in the 70s, it was OK, but preferred drinking barley wine. Tried it five years ago in a coffee shop in Amsterdam and enjoyed the experience. Went to the US pre-Covid and decided to have a vape which was much nicer than a smoke (legal in the State I visited). Even if it were legal here I think I would stick to my red wine - 2 large glasses a week - perfect. Offspring who lives in the States wouldnt touch booze on health grounds, but enjoys vaping weed on the weekends in the belief its healthier.

Saetana Sun 12-Dec-21 18:02:26

Yes and Yes - unfortunately had to give up when we gave up smoking a few months ago. Its not necessary to buy ridiculously strong stuff if you know where to go. Its nice and relaxing and, unlike alcohol, has no calories and is far less likely to lead to violence. First time I tried back in my teens it did nothing to me the first time (apparently not unusual), second time blew my head off grin

Grandadtel Sun 12-Dec-21 18:07:30

Yes.... I have indulged.... I shared a spliff with my mate once....... It killed me.. ??I was paranoid for what seemed like hrs.... Never again....

fluttERBY123 Sun 12-Dec-21 18:21:44

I don't even know what it smells like. Have probably smelt it without knowing what it was. Would like to know how it smells but no desire to try it. Keen on alcohol in my youth but lost the taste for it in middle age by which time I had had more than enough.

Atqui Sun 12-Dec-21 18:28:44

Although cannabis is probably no worse health wise than alcohol , ( although that’s perhaps debatable with the current skunk) I would not want to,associate myself with the evil people that supply drugs and drag young people into a life of crime and misery.

User7777 Sun 12-Dec-21 19:18:31

I have never smoked, so issue never arose

MissAdventure Sun 12-Dec-21 19:20:13

fluttERBY123

I don't even know what it smells like. Have probably smelt it without knowing what it was. Would like to know how it smells but no desire to try it. Keen on alcohol in my youth but lost the taste for it in middle age by which time I had had more than enough.

Fresh mown grass, mixed up with cabbage, farts and pepper. smile

Bridgeit Sun 12-Dec-21 19:24:52

No…ooo I can’t cope with the ‘hey man’s’ ?

Bonneygran Sun 12-Dec-21 19:33:51

I remember chuckling at Jack Nicholson’s line in the film, “Easy Rider” when Captain America ( Peter Fonda ) offered him a joint….” No, no; I’m in enough trouble, what with the booze an’ all!”
Commenting for a friend.

Lauren59 Sun 12-Dec-21 20:19:11

I remember going to a concert when I was about eighteen, where we all smoked before going in. What a waste of good money for that concert ticket. I didn’t remember much the next day and wondered whether I’d made an arse of myself!

Lauren59 Sun 12-Dec-21 20:20:15

I have a few friends who still enjoy it once in awhile. We are all in our sixties.

MollyF Sun 12-Dec-21 20:48:13

Of course - what sort of teenager didn't try it? Also acid, fantastic. I'd smoke dope now but can't inhale since I gave up smoking.

Evie64 Sun 12-Dec-21 21:43:37

Yes, happy daze grin. 1970s were great. As previously mentioned, the stuff nowadays is bad. Queen Victoria used to smoke it for her period pains and children with uncontrollably epilepsy have benefitted greatly from medicinal cannabis.

Amandajs66 Sun 12-Dec-21 21:48:53

Many years ago I cooked with it, didn’t notice any difference but maybe I didn’t use enough. A few years later I smoked it occasionally as I was with a man that smoked it. Again it didn’t have any affect.
However now my youngest son who is in his late 20’s smokes weed on a daily basis. I do worry about him but he’s been travelling the world for the past 4 years and I’m lead to believe that it’s the norm among back packers.