Gransnet forums

Chat

A Very Argy Christmas

(392 Posts)
lemongrove Mon 06-Dec-21 14:46:55

Hello All,
Have been waiting for Doodle to open the old Argy up for the festive period, but she has gone to New York ( or possibly York) to do her Christmas shopping.She will be here anytime though, so until then, the doors are open, come in and ‘take the weight off’ and order one of our speciality cocktails or maybe a mulled poteen, and tell us what you’ve been up to.
Sitting on Santa’s knee? Ordering new killer heels?tchsmile

Mollygo Mon 06-Dec-21 23:50:47

I’d love to try the poteen. It’ll make a change from the Bison Grass Vodka. Is there somewhere to rest whilst the effects wear off?

Doodle Tue 07-Dec-21 00:24:34

Maw grin
Mollygo. Don’t worry about it. The poteen hits quickly. If you’re lucky you’ll fall on someone well padded. ?

maddyone Tue 07-Dec-21 00:42:59

Me. I’ll have him. There’s a queue for Thor, so I may as well make use of him instead. Is he of any use? Can he boil sprouts? What’s he good at?

maddyone Tue 07-Dec-21 00:44:17

I’m talking about the spare Admiral that Calistemon’s got. She doesn’t want him.

AGAA4 Tue 07-Dec-21 09:06:50

What happened to Thor? He looks like a limp lettuce this morning.
As there is no poteen left after last night I will have to get brewing and I have had to shove Thor into the comfy old armchair with a brandy to recover so no help there.
The llamas are in a similar state.

Grandmabatty Tue 07-Dec-21 09:52:54

I'm wondering whether the Sprout liqueur is the reason I had a nasty sickness bug? Might be best to leave it out and just have alcohol instead. I want to know if Tom Jones is coming. We had such fun the last time.

Calistemon Tue 07-Dec-21 11:08:58

maddyone

I’m talking about the spare Admiral that Calistemon’s got. She doesn’t want him.

He's fast asleep under the bar, can't you hear him snoring?

He might perk up later, it's a bit earlie in the morning for him, he had the middle watch

maddyone Tue 07-Dec-21 11:15:51

I shall be waiting Calistemon.
Meanwhile I shall amuse myself by learning how to make poteen.

AGAA4 Tue 07-Dec-21 11:18:15

Poor you grandmabatty. Hope you feel better now. Just stick to poteen in future.

Tom said he is swimmig the channel over Christmas with his over 80s club. He is doing it for charity. I don't know who Charity is but I'm jealous.
He said he may pop in and give us a rendition of "it's not unusual" after he has done the swim back.

maddyone Tue 07-Dec-21 11:18:19

Who’s actually making the poteen today? I need a person who can stand up long enough to teach me.

maddyone Tue 07-Dec-21 11:19:09

Can I volunteer to rub Tom down with the grease?

AGAA4 Tue 07-Dec-21 11:21:35

It's always me Maddy and I am so used to poteen now that it has no effect.
You can have a session with Thor who helps with the brewing.

AGAA4 Tue 07-Dec-21 11:22:56

You will need to get in the queue for the rubbing down.

Bridie22 Tue 07-Dec-21 12:08:56

OK ladies I'm sending Thor back ? i can assure you he is worth waiting for...his sprout boiling is second to none ?‍? hohoho

muse Tue 07-Dec-21 13:03:13

?Tom in his swimming togs. Pass the smelling salts please.
Now we've located Tom and the drinks are getting sorted, how about the food supplies.

Muse Mansion Mess hut currently has a odd lovely aroma. Chef Rob wants me to taste the new 'Christmas dinner in one' pasty. See you later.

lemongrove Tue 07-Dec-21 16:57:23

Will there be turkey and Christmas pud in the pasty muse?
Sounds like the ideal bar food for The Argy.....may we order six dozen and see how they go?
Thor has gone for a lie down in my boudoir, he says he needs to give his hammer a rest.
Tom will be singing in the bar on Friday night ( it’s not unusual) and requests that ladies stop throwing their voluminous bloomers at him.George will be here too, on duty at the Nespresso machine and we have installed a brand new
( well, it was in 1955) juke box. Three plays for sixpence.

AGAA4 Tue 07-Dec-21 17:07:25

I have roused Thor now if anyone needs him. A pint of poteen and a rub down with vick and he's ready for anything.

Are any of the Argy regulars in the boat cheering Tom on?
The Admiral is with him. Look at him go. Not bad for 98.

lemongrove Tue 07-Dec-21 17:16:23

I like a rub down with Vick myself, but unfortunately he had an appointment to go to.☹️

brook2704 Tue 07-Dec-21 18:07:01

Have we any tickets left for Friday night?
Tom is sure to pull in a crowd again it’ll be a sell out- we’ll have to get Thor on the door checking tickets

brook2704 Tue 07-Dec-21 18:15:09

I took the llamas out earlier and think we can make a fortune offering kiddie rides again , it should pay for the Christmas buffet
lemon can we use your paddock again please at Lemongrove manor?

Bridie22 Tue 07-Dec-21 18:41:38

I hope you remembered the poopa scooper for the llama droppings, there will be hell to pay if the kids tread it through the argy ???

Doodle Tue 07-Dec-21 19:33:08

Maddyone what’s the Admiral good at you ask, something we have all been asking for years.
AGA wot ? all the poteen gone and we’re nowhere near Christmas yet. Get brewing please and thanks for helping Maddyone. You could help me unload the potatoes. Farmer Giles has been keeping piles for me….and potatoes.
Muse glad you’re getting on with the pasties. They were a great success last year.
Right everyone. Brook and I will be holding auditions this evening for anyone who wants to apply to be our Christmas Fairy. Strong nether regions and sturdy thighs a requirement.
No fighting over Sir Tom now. We want him in one piece for his star turn.
Anyone seen ixion . I asked her to go for some pork scratchings. I wonder where she is?

muse Tue 07-Dec-21 20:03:00

Chef Rob says he'll do cocktail size Christmas pasties as well as the usual. I have tried them and well they're sort of, erm... interesting

Will a twirl do for the audition Doodle. Sturdy thighs, yes, but my nether regions leave a lot to be desired.

Grandmabatty Tue 07-Dec-21 20:06:22

I'm very fond of a cocktail sausage or two Muse. Ahem.

Doodle Tue 07-Dec-21 20:21:46

Personally I prefer a big banger Grandmabatty but each to their own ??