Gransnet forums

Chat

Cruising in January Should we stay or should we go? . Opinions please

(79 Posts)
Grammajules Wed 22-Dec-21 14:09:12

We are booked on a cruise to America and Hawaii in Jan for 3 weeks with friends.
We booked in March this year, maybe naively..
We are all triple jabbed and in our sixties. We met last week to discuss options due to the current situation. Still going at the moment. Yes, we could postpone but have to pay half the holiday again.
All healthy but now worrying about going. It is not just the loss of the money primarily, but the stress of all the necessary tests and forms and the hassle and potential consequence of testing positive over there. Any thoughts?

BlueSky Wed 22-Dec-21 20:01:01

Too many things against it for the time being for you to enjoy it without worrying. But if you postpone it, don’t leave it too long, or there’ll never be the right time again.

MayBeMaw Wed 22-Dec-21 20:03:29

If other countries are barring UK visitors/holidaymakers, the issue will probably be resolved for you.

Kittye Wed 22-Dec-21 23:13:05

After cancelling several times we finally managed to cruise in November. Had a great time. The ship was immaculate, the staff constantly cleaning and Covid rules in place. I felt much safer on the ship than I feel now. ☹️

Hetty58 Thu 23-Dec-21 00:26:42

I wouldn't go yet, as I'd feel very far from relaxed about it. The thought of perhaps being ill and far away from home is so off-putting.

BlueSapphire Thu 23-Dec-21 08:08:31

Have one booked for next August, so fingers crossed things may be more back to normal by then. I follow an independent group on Facebook for this company, and reports from passengers are that things are good on board. No independent exploring in ports though, only organised excursions.

Parky Thu 23-Dec-21 08:54:37

I certainly wouldn't go, all the tests form filling and hassle are constantly changing. Never mind the horror of having to self isolate in a cabin with limited food and drink options.

maddyone Thu 23-Dec-21 09:24:35

It’s madness to go. I know a couple who took a cruise round Britain this summer just gone, and there was a Covid outbreak on the ship. They came home with Covid. I speak as one who normally loves cruises, but at the moment, absolutely not.

Visgir1 Thu 23-Dec-21 11:31:03

At the end of the day.. Floating Petri dish of germs.

Aveline Thu 23-Dec-21 11:48:18

Equally maddyone I know a couple who went in a round Britain cruise this year and were absolutely fine. Very well managed ship - they have to be!

maddyone Thu 23-Dec-21 11:58:18

Yes Avekine, but it’s a lottery isn’t it? The couple I know were on Cunard line and lots of people went down with it. Luckily they weren’t very ill as they were vaccinated, but it’s still not the holiday anyone wants is it?
I love cruises and have been on a few to really interesting destinations such as Japan and other places, but I wouldn’t advise anyone to chance it just now.

pen50 Thu 23-Dec-21 12:01:18

I'd go! What a delightful prospect at this damp and dismal moment.

DH and I have just booked for a cruise in June - really looking forward to it!

Daisend1 Thu 23-Dec-21 12:14:00

Go and enjoy.

Candelle Thu 23-Dec-21 12:32:28

I am so sorry to read your post as I can imagine how you must be feeling.

We enjoy cruising but despite some wonderful offers at the moment, would not consider doing so at the moment.

The latest I read is that some cruise lines are requiring all passengers to wear masks everywhere around the ship except for eating, so not much fun really. Additionally, when in port, you would have to think about Covid levels/inoculations in each country etc. Not very relaxing.

I wonder - but who knows - if there will be a ban on Brits entering countries by their governments or a Foreign Office ban on us entering others.

The main reason though for us not contemplating a cruise is the thought of being quarantined in a cabin, oops, stateroom, for a fortnight or more. I think I would go mad!

Are you positive that your insurance won't cover your cancellation costs?

I think I would wait it out (unless of course, your cancellation costs increase with time) and see which way the wind blows re. Covid but it isn't going away anytime soon.

MaggsMcG Thu 23-Dec-21 12:36:44

I think you should go if the countries you are visiting allow you to. You might yet find the option might not be yours.

jaylucy Thu 23-Dec-21 12:40:50

I think that the cruise ships will or should have made changes to how they operate - contact the company for how they have done this and make sure that you follow protocol.
Read your travel insurance carefully to see if you are covered at all for anything connected to Covid.
If you are all happy, I'd still go as you are all vaxxed - just perhaps try to spend as much time outside as you can and wear a face covering while indoors - the ship might have an air cleaning system installed.

Nannashirlz Thu 23-Dec-21 12:54:19

We can’t hide in our homes forever, I’d say go enjoy yourself after all if anything covid as taught us life is too short and we should enjoy every min while we can. You should get back in time for your 4th or 5th jab lol

storynanny Thu 23-Dec-21 12:59:20

We love cruises and can’t wait to book another. But, it won’t be for a while yet as wearing a mask all the time is no fun and having to prebook everything on board is a pain
We will probably wait until september at the earliest and just do us trips as and when we fancy it

storynanny Thu 23-Dec-21 13:00:20

We went on the Iona shakedown one nighter this year and whilst it was lovely it wasn’t the same as precovid.

EllanVannin Thu 23-Dec-21 13:01:10

There was an article about flying, that it was safer to fly business class under these Covid circumstances so if I was cruising it would be the equivalent accommodation.
If it's a " one-off " cruise up the ante. I would.

Boolya Thu 23-Dec-21 13:24:17

We had a cruise booked for early January but decided last weekend to cancel it & book another for next November. Disappointed of course, but we want to relax.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 23-Dec-21 13:37:55

What is more important? The money, or your own and perhaps other peoples' health?

Of course you should stay at home!

GreyKnitter Thu 23-Dec-21 13:39:05

Difficult decision isn’t it. Having read the current news about covid on cruise ships I think I would cancel and avoid a very real risk of getting covid.

Stella14 Thu 23-Dec-21 13:44:16

I wouldn’t touch a cruise with a barge pole at the moment. It isn’t just about you contracting Covid. The risk of being stranded out at sea on a plague ship that no port wants, is what puts me off. There are currently 1000 cruisers stranded on a Cunard ship because 60 people have tested positive and are confined to their cabins. Hubby and I enjoyed cruising before Covid, but we won’t cruise again whilst the virus us still an issue.

Good luck if you go.

GoldenAge Thu 23-Dec-21 13:46:13

Far too problematic and uncertain. Maybe people have been on cruises in the last few months but the situation is different now - personally I would feel rather indignant about any cruise ship setting sail in January and getting stranded, requiring the British Government to spend hundreds of thousands of pounds air-lifting thoughtless passengers back to Blighty when we've had to stop cancer treatment to cope with yet again another covid spike. It's selfish to knowingly place oneself in an uncertain and potentially risky position and then to expect (as everybody does) that somehow or other the taxpayers in their country of origin will rescue them.

mrswoo Thu 23-Dec-21 14:06:22

Gosh, this is a dilemma for you. I can imagine you are torn between your head and your heart. Honestly, I think if I were you, I wouldn't go. But - on the other hand - the ship will be covid safe, you will be triple jabbed, wear a mask, comply with all covid rules and regs. So, yes, follow your heart, stay safe and go!