Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeling useless at everything

(31 Posts)
Coastpath Wed 05-Jan-22 16:52:17

It seems to me Songstress60 that you have a good heart - you help others and volunteer. You work hard at things even if you find them difficult and when you fail you get right back on and have another go. Lots of people don't do that.
Whilst you might not have liked the outcome, your idea for your garden design was really innovative and creative. I admire you for all that.

Also, can I add that your post was beautifully written and even though I could feel your pain through it I enjoyed the clever, interesting way you had written it and was compelled to read more.

I honestly can't tell you how many things I can't do or have failed at. I'm a crap cook, I'm fat and my hair is always a total state and gave up my volunteering job because I didn't like the nit picking boss. I garden like a dream though and give good hugs. We're none of us perfect.

Give yourself a break lady because you sound great just how you are. flowers

Kate1949 Wed 05-Jan-22 16:36:39

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself. You're probably good at lots of things and a nice person.
I feel pretty useless too. I can't swim or drive despite trying to learn. I'm a pretty rubbish cook. I can't decorate, paint, sew, make cakes or do anything like that. I didn't get any exams at school. When I wrap Christmas presents they look like a dog's hind leg. Everything really. It was all down to confidence and an awful childhood which left me with no confidence and low self esteem. was good at my job but it was only basic office work and typing so nothing earth shattering. However I'm trying to accept myself. I know I'm a decent person. That will have to do. Be kinder to yourself.

Grandmabatty Wed 05-Jan-22 16:29:37

I think you are either depressed, menopausal or suffering from January blues! I see a woman who has many skills and is very resilient. She doesn't find it easy to do one thing, but keeps trying and actively looks for other activities. As for decorating, I have painted and papered in the past. It wasn't always to professional standards, but I felt proud I had tried. Could you be a perfectionist? I have a friend who throws out art work because it isn't up to her standards. Sometimes she can't even start for fear of failing. I also paint, mainly flowers and they are rarely as good as I would like, however I enjoy the process and it absorbs me. I think you are being hard on yourself.

Kathy73 Wed 05-Jan-22 16:27:38

Try to reframe your thinking - focus on the positives. It took you a while, but you PASSED your driving test. When you retired and did voluntary work, you showed strength of character by leaving an uncomfortable situation. At least you attempted the paintings…….
What make you happy?

B9exchange Wed 05-Jan-22 16:25:37

It sounds as though you have had all the confidence knocked out of you, I think perhaps some counselling would enable you to get some of it back and value yourself?

songstress60 Wed 05-Jan-22 16:19:50

I wonder if there are any others on gransnet who feel as inept as I am. Both my sisters do not need to pay tradesmen to do work in the house, and despite trying all I do is bodge things. When I was in work I struggled to climb the career ladder and only had one promotion after much trying. I took 8 attempts to pass my driving test at the age of 45 and even now I have never been on the motorway. I did have lessons but she gave me up after 5 lessons. I feel incompetent at everything despite trying at things. I did have some paintings that I had done in the house then I realised how amateurish they looked so I flung them. Tried to put a new design in my garden with rocks and shells from the beach but yesterday discarded them and threw them back on the beach. When I was in work we did one day's community work so I volunteered to work at a centre for vulnerable families, and worked alongside another woman who was a dab hand at wallpapering, but she refused to show me how to do it.I volunteered to work at a dog sanctuary when I retired the managers manner was so awful I gave it up after a few weeks. He would only trust me with certain dogs. When I looked after the dogs for my sister and her husband my mother said I could not control one of them. I am just so sick of feeling like this. I look back on my life and it's one big failure. Have any other readers felt like this? If so what did they do to resolve the situation? Sometimes I can't be bothered getting out of bed in the morning as these useless feelings overwhelm me so much.