Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday 6th January 2022

(63 Posts)
Michael12 Thu 06-Jan-22 06:05:48

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, and cold outside here in brackley this morning.
Routine being the 12th day of xmas remove all decorations /cards , I will then later get the bus to Bicester and have my usual coffee and small shop there.
Yesterday , paid off remainder of trip to York /Harrogate for next month .
I was also informed of a date change again for andrew Lloyd Webbers Cinderella, a performance in September now, but also booked for Tina the musical as well.
Take Care,
Mick

Grammaretto Thu 06-Jan-22 08:18:52

Good Morning all from the Scottish Borders where it is 1°C.
I am on a walk around my own town today with U3A. The route takes in the new half built housing estate so we can have a nosey.
I am so glad your DD has a refund Alizarin.
I was offered a refund from Ryanair yesterday for our cancelled trip to France when DH was still alive in 2020.
Little did we think that this pandemic would still be going.
Well done to all those who manage to get away for holidays especially this month when it is so cold. I just want to hibernate.

Twelfth Night so the decorations will have to come down. The tree is only just starting to lose its needles.
Thinking of Grannysomerset and Marydoll. and hoping all GMers have a happy day.

Grandmajean Thu 06-Jan-22 08:23:44

Good morning all from Cheshire.
Cold here today.
Sad post Urmstongran but a great Matt to end. Always a relevant and funny cartoon from him.
A "small shop" as Mick would say. Two youngest GC come for tea tomorrow so need to make sure I have the grapes and strawberries requested. Will wait until my car is clear of frost ! Hate scraping it.
I know today is Epiphany but have never really understood why, as the twelve days finished yesterday. Maybe Christmas day is not counted as day one ? I'm sure someone will know.

Chris3 Thu 06-Jan-22 08:35:17

Good morning from a very cold South Yorkshire. Yesterday's shopping trip was excellent. Town was very quiet so I wandered around very happily.
Today I am off for my nails redoing... Something which is a great pleasure for me having recently retired from nursing where such things were not allowed! I am also having a facial, a Xmas present from DS1 and DDil1, so should be looking gorgeous for this afternoon ?
Have a good day everyone

Urmstongran Thu 06-Jan-22 08:36:07

In Spain today is The 3 Kings celebrations. Children excitedly waiting as sweets are thrown into the crowds. Not sure whether gatherings are allowed today - processions were cancelled last year.

Urmstongran Thu 06-Jan-22 08:38:12

Ooh a nice bit of pampering Chris3 how relaxing for you!
?

harrigran Thu 06-Jan-22 08:42:57

Good morning from a cold and frosty NE.
Yesterday was quite a productive day. SIL came in the morning and we got things put away in the attic, while he was up there he located a suitcase and put it handy.
After lunch we did a big Sainsbury's shop and got my fridge replenished. Now that I have sold DH's car thought we would phone the insurance company and see if we could get a rebate for the remaining unused period, result, they say I am due several hundred pounds.
Checked the premium bonds and had two wins and DH would have been tickled to find he has won a few prizes every month since he died.
Nothing planned for today, catch up on some reading maybe.
Happy belated birthday to kitty flowers
Thinking of GrannySomerset.

Georgesgran Thu 06-Jan-22 08:46:42

Good morning from a chilly Durham. DD2 having a face to face with her new GP today - hope it proves fruitful.
Can only echo comments on Alzarin’s DD - I could tell you tales of BA’s treatment of my DD - suffice to say we’ll never fly with them again.
Lots of activity on today’s site - careful how you go.

baubles Thu 06-Jan-22 08:47:38

Good morning Mick, morning all from freezing cold South Lanarkshire.
It must be nice to see your social calendar filling up Mick.

Belated birthday wishes to Kitty and J52.

Have a lovely time at the ballet gagagran, I’m quite envious.

You can’t keep a good woman down Marydoll, a year on and you’re still shopping for Scotland! grin

Glad your DD was refunded Alizarin, it doesn’t make up for the shocking treatment she received though.

A sad day for you Urms.

A day off today as we can’t childmind due to me being unwell and one of the mindees has tested positive anyway. This is a strange virus, yesterday evening I felt dreadful, symptoms seem to go up and down, then I realised that my sense of smell has suddenly deserted me. Yesterday was day 8 since the onset of my symptoms, yet for others I know that has been the first, and in some cases, only symptom. All very weird.

I may do some more of my training today instead of working all day tomorrow, it’s quite tiring.

Wishing everyone a peaceful day.

Anniebach Thu 06-Jan-22 08:48:20

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Grandmabatty Thu 06-Jan-22 08:53:54

Good morning all from Polmont. It is cold and the temperature is sitting at 2°. There was the most beautiful,if slightly alarming sky ten minutes ago. A deep orange. It looked like I had put lights on. Then most of it was swallowed up by a threatening cloud. Red sky in the morning, and all that. I foresee a day of rain ahead. Fortunately I'm going nowhere.
Chris3 welcome. That sounds like a lovely treat. Urms my best wishes for your family funeral. A sad day. All the best for tomorrow and flying to Spain. Pantsglas I am a tad jealous of the sun and warmth.
Yesterday was fun. I had to be a lion and roar, then make various animals out of playdough. Then I was to dance like baby shark. Then we hid in my bed from elephants. When I finally went to bed last night, a plastic hyena greeted me. ?
Today I am staying in. I have a delivery coming from M&S. I ordered new bed linen Kittylester in a dusky pink and new jammies. The bed linen arrived yesterday so the jammies are coming today. Apart from that, nothing is planned. Have a good day all.

Urmstongran Thu 06-Jan-22 08:55:42

Hope your anosmia clears soon baubles I thought it was horrid when mine lasted a week. Eating food was no longer a pleasure, just ‘fuel’.

ginny Thu 06-Jan-22 08:58:08

Good morning. Jack Frost has been sent on his way and the sky is blue here in N. Bucks. Still bloomin’ cold though.

Coffee meet up this morning to chat about WI craft group projects for the year. Then we have Charlie for a couple of hours while DD3 enjoys a hair appointment. He’s 8 months old now and seems desperate to be on the move.
Wishing you all a good day with a smile or two in it.

NannyJan53 Thu 06-Jan-22 09:01:44

Good morning from a very cold Black Country, with such a heavy frost I thought it had snowed!

MrJ is trying to get through to the Doctors. He rang bang on 8am, but cannot even get in a queue! Just keeps saying ring back later. All appointments will be gone by then. Not sure what you are supposed to do?

Drive over to Mums later, and hopefully a walk.

Belated birthday wishes to kitty and J52

Great outcome for your daughter Alizarin such a shame it happened in the first place.

A sad day for you Urms

Have a good day everyone

Scentia Thu 06-Jan-22 09:07:53

NannyJan53. The only way we could get an appointment for DGD was to call 111 and they made the appointment for us. If there is a real need to see a doctor I would do that.x

GrannySomerset Thu 06-Jan-22 09:09:16

Need to brave the supermarket before I go to see DH. Yesterday he felt further away and this protracted waiting is painful and means I can settle to nothing, but life goes on and the fridge is empty so must gird my loins and get on with it. Slightly less frosty and the sky is quite bright.

Chrissielou Thu 06-Jan-22 09:12:10

A beautiful cold frosty morning with a little sunshine in rural Oxfordshire. The fields look beautiful and the pheasants are squawking outside, it was crunchy underfoot when I took the dog out earlier. Such a change from the squelchy mud and mild temperatures of last week. Days have returned to normal now, working from home at the dining room table, its almost 2 years since I was in the office full time.
Have a good day everyone, I hope that those who are struggling find some comfort today.

Susan56 Thu 06-Jan-22 09:22:34

Good morning from Shropshire.

DGD stayed over last night and has only just woken up?At home she has been waking every couple of hours.They learnt about Remembrance Day at school and since then she has been scared of war and unable to sleep properly.She is going to stay again tonight and hopefully that will break the habit of waking up every couple of hours??

Mary, I hope you are having a better day and get to wear the new coat soon!

GrannySomerset, thinking of you and your DH at this really hard time?

Thoughts with Urms today?and all unwell or looking after poorly loved ones.Remember to look after yourselves too?

Nannagarra Thu 06-Jan-22 09:26:42

Good morning from the Sefton coast where I have just watched a pale lemon and turquoise sunrise.
That’s a good result Alizarin, one which reflects the inexcusably poor service your DD received.
Cases here are very high so I intend to avoid my usual Thursday afternoon meet up. One of the group texted us yesterday to say that she has again tested positive.
A quiet day is in order, merely walking DGdog.
My thoughts go to GrannySomerset and all others in need of comfort.
???

BlueSapphire Thu 06-Jan-22 09:28:25

Good morning everyone from a bright and very frosty Northampton, -3°C today. Got a load of towels in the machine, but they will be going in the tumble dryer later.

A successful shopping trip yesterday. Returned younger DGD's too small clothes to M&S, and then into Next to pick up the Christmas present I had ordered for her back in November, but had been delayed ever since. Then swapped DD's present to me for a gift card of the same value; luckily she had given me the gift receipt. Looking forward to choosing something nice with it. Then to Sainsbury's for a few odds and ends.

Got the tree and all the decorations down in the afternoon. Hate it as it looks so bare now, but have left the fairy lights up on the mantlepiece till the batteries run down.

DS brought DGD to collect her present, a big hoodie/blanket, which I think she was thrilled with. And it was a perfect fit too. She didn't want to take it off so wore it home in the car.

Must flick round with the duster today. Sainsbury's delivery later, ballet class after lunch, then to the cinema tonight with a couple of friends to see West Side Story. It's a socially distanced performance, so should be ok, and we will keep our masks on. Must gently remind friends that I had to book and pay for the tickets up front...... Think I will print them out.

Time to shower and dress now. Take care and stay safe everyone.

muse Thu 06-Jan-22 09:28:59

???glorious sunrise (seen from my bedroom window). Mid Cornwall expects rain though today. Lots of it. ?
Lots of busy Morningsters ! I shall try and muster some energy. Take care all.

?brilliant Matt. Thank you Urm ?? for your dear friend.

Huge well done Alizarin. ?

It is definitely weird Baubles. I know one healthy family where all 5 eventually had it. Two were very ill, mother and son. The others just light symptoms.

Lazy day (can’t find that energy) but it’s all action stations around the build here tomorrow. Our friends tested negative this morning so are on their way to us to lend a much needed, helping hand. Staying two nights.
No premium bond win yesterday ?. First time for 2 years! Never had a huge win but £25 or £50 prizes come in very useful. ?
Off to walk Mya soon. She was under the weather yesterday but has a spring in her step again today.

muse Thu 06-Jan-22 09:31:39

??. Thinking of grandmasomerset.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 06-Jan-22 10:04:02

Good Morning all from a very chilly Harrogate. The smattering of snow that fell a few days ago is still there.
I've just received my Sainsburies shopping so have yet to put it all away.
Love the 'Matt' Urms quite apt.
You sound in top form Marydoll with all your bargain shopping! My thoughts are with you *Grannysomerset a terrible time for you. Glad you are coming back Pantglas we shall hope to be in Llandudno in April and we could maybe meet for a chinwag?
Are we going to be able to meet up Mick?
I have been gradually taking decorations down since Monday, today it's the turn of the tree and the lights on it.
Then a trip to Lidl is in order.
Hope your symptoms soon disappear Baubles.
Have the best day you can everyone.

NannyJan53 Thu 06-Jan-22 10:05:52

Thank you Scentia, after 90 minutes on hold receptionist answered and a Doctor is going to ring him by 2.30pm today.

Never had to hang on that long before.

Kalu Thu 06-Jan-22 10:11:41

Good morning from a dreich wet day in Glasgow. Oh well, at least we had two sunny days which made me feel quite motivated. All decorations came down but I have left the Swedish candle bridges at the windows to add some cheer.

Happy belated birthday kitty. What a joy it will be to get back into your own bedroom and with new bed linen too.
Success Alizarin?
You are having a rotten time of it Baubles. Look after yourself.
Such a difficult time for you GrannySomerset. Life seems to be on hold when waiting for the inevitable. Wishing you strength to see you through this heartbreaking time.

All this talk of travel has me itching to get back to Provence, heaven knows when that will be though! DD2 and SiL who are settled in Australia now we’re based in Antibes and who visited us often, are missing France too so whenever they can come ‘home’ as DD still refers to Scotland, a visit to our old haunts in France is on the cards. ?

No idea what I will do today but there is always something to keep me busy, if I am inclined to do anything! May just coorie down later and watch a film.

Have a good day all especially those dealing with whatever worries you may have.

hollysteers Thu 06-Jan-22 10:35:08

Good morning Mick and all from a cold and slightly sleety northwest coast. You have quite a few jollies to look forward to Mick.
Off soon to the south for my brother in law’s funeral tomorrow. Sharing the driving with my DS, hope the weather is ok…
DD in the south is doing a reading and coming out of Covid, I hope she can make it. This covid situation has made me all of a doo dah, more flustered about the whole thing than I would normally be. The funeral will bring back memories of my own DH, his brother’s funeral five years ago.
Thoughts to GrannySomerset?