Gransnet forums

Chat

The danger of cows to walkers.

(168 Posts)
Sago Sun 16-Jan-22 11:22:21

As keen walkers we are alway very wary of walking through any field with cattle, I have been known to do huge diversions, particularly if they have calves at heel.

I read a report yesterday of a lady near Masham who was almost trampled to death and now has a colostomy bag as a result of her injuries.

Should footpaths be diverted or fenced to prevent these attacks where cattle maybe present?

A farmer on one of our regular routes has had to sell his herd after they were deemed unsafe, they attacked a lady who was hospitalised for weeks with her injuries, this seems unfair to the farmer yet I do believe we should all be able to enjoy the countryside.

What could be done to make it safe for walkers but not discriminatory for farmers?

MaizieD Sun 16-Jan-22 12:08:12

I am very curious, ExDancer about what might provoke a cow or bullock into attacking walkers?

I fully understand about cows with calves, but what other circumstances might there be? Are they territorial?

I must confess that if a load of nosey cows comes too close (like standing right in front of me!) I wave an arm and say 'git'... (I wouldn't do it to one with a calf..) and off they go.

MaizieD Sun 16-Jan-22 12:15:24

Sago

MaizieD Here’s a link, this lady did have a dog but there seem to be more and more attacks not involving dogs.

Since the first lockdown I think walking has become a lot more popular which could be the reason behind this.

A farmer friend told me to carry a stick and shout and wave it around if cows come close, this seems to be contrary to official advice!

Thanks, Sago. I've never yet seen an account that didn't involve a dog and cows with calves, but I shall have a search..

I expect your farmer friend told you to wave a stick at the cows because that's just what farmers do grin. That's why I have no qualms about doing the same; they're used to it.

I wouldn't keep too close to the hedge, either. As the article clearly demonstrates, you've no escape route.

eazybee Sun 16-Jan-22 12:16:16

The countryside is a working environment which I appreciate but following a new walk from a country magazine it is not always possible to avoid livestock. We were trapped by a herd (?) of bullocks who were not fenced in; we were unable to follow the approved footpath because they blocked it and ended up on private property where the estate manager drove us back to our car, because he realised the bullocks were roaming and a danger.
I don't know if these walks are approved by the farmers before being published, but we have found stiles blocked, gates locked and barred on rights of way, and cattle in fields described as empty; it is not always possible to make detours.

Namsnanny Sun 16-Jan-22 12:16:57

Yes MaiziD there was a dog, and if you didnt notice, a calf too

Calistemon Sun 16-Jan-22 12:17:09

Be especially aware if they have calves with them, they will become very defensive.

I used to roam at will on a family farm as a child but remember being frightened once when a herd of curious cows followed me. I did run, which was probably not the best thing to do and managed to leap over the garden gate.

They can also be curious about dogs.

I think showing fear or running might make matters worse
but I'd avoid a field with cows if possible.

Namsnanny Sun 16-Jan-22 12:17:43

Oops! Asked and answered

Calistemon Sun 16-Jan-22 12:18:11

X post!

Razzy Sun 16-Jan-22 12:19:31

I once applied to move a footpath to the edge of a field, this would only mean around 20 seconds longer walk but would have been a lovely wide track with no livestock. I was told that was completely unacceptable because it was longer and because the view was not so good. Of course I can put a 6’ hedge either side of the footpath as they cannot do anything about that. But how ridiculous! Councils and planning can be to blame.

silverlining48 Sun 16-Jan-22 12:21:36

A few years ago we were walking, and the footpath took us through a field of cows. No calves and we didn’t have a dog.

There followed one of the most frightening experiences of my life. I love to walk but would always avoid fields with any cows after that. I truly didn’t think we would get out in one piece.

MaizieD Sun 16-Jan-22 12:23:46

Razzy

I once applied to move a footpath to the edge of a field, this would only mean around 20 seconds longer walk but would have been a lovely wide track with no livestock. I was told that was completely unacceptable because it was longer and because the view was not so good. Of course I can put a 6’ hedge either side of the footpath as they cannot do anything about that. But how ridiculous! Councils and planning can be to blame.

I understand it costs a landowner quite a lot of money to get a footpath diverted. It's not a simple process of just moving way markers.

Gwyneth Sun 16-Jan-22 12:30:35

If you have grown up in the countryside you will know not to walk through a field where there are cows with calves. The cows are only protecting their young. Maybe farmers should put a warning notice up to say that there are cows with calves but if it’s a public footpath you can’t really prevent people walking there. Maybe a bit of common sense is required. I wouldn’t walk through a field if there was a warning sign.

MaizieD Sun 16-Jan-22 12:32:54

I don't know if these walks are approved by the farmers before being published, but we have found stiles blocked, gates locked and barred on rights of way, and cattle in fields described as empty; it is not always possible to make detours.

There is no reason why they should be 'approved by farmers' before publication if the walks are based on public rights of way which should be accessible at all times. Farmers should ensure that either easily openaable gates, or maintained stiles are provided. If they are not, then the obstruction should be reported to the Local Authority Rights of Way department.

Fields will only be empty of livestock if they are growing crops. Walk compilers can't possibly guarantee that grazing land would always be stock free.

I'm getting a bit puzzled as to what people think the countryside is all about... It's a shared resource with farmers, not an urban dweller's playground.

GrandmaSeaDragon Sun 16-Jan-22 12:35:15

Yes, I read that report yesterday. Poor lady, sadly life changing injuries. I would never walk through a field of cows. Shortly after moving to Leicestershire some years ago, 2 people were attacked by cows while using a nearby public footpath. Our view looked over pastures. One day I watched a lady, who had lived in the village all her life, completely surrounded by a huge herd for some time. Her well controlled dog was off lead (apparently the advice is to let the lead go if cows attack). She was unfazed by them, but it was scary to watch and an encounter I would never wish to have. We have now moved and my favourite footpath walk crosses a field using for grazing in the summer. We only go that way in the winter. As relative recent country residents, we always follow the Countryside code, but many don’t seem to.

MaizieD Sun 16-Jan-22 12:42:40

One day I watched a lady, who had lived in the village all her life, completely surrounded by a huge herd for some time....She was unfazed by them,

There's the clue. She was completely familiar with cows, lived there all her life. She knew they weren't going to do anything aggressive.

Cows are not out to get you!

Any female animal with young can be aggressive, but cows don't attack people just for the fun of it. If cows were that dangerous how do you think farmers manage to handle large herds of them without body armour and stun guns?

Blondiescot Sun 16-Jan-22 12:44:13

A quick Google search will bring up a number of instances where people were injured by cows without any dogs being involved. It appears that Jeremy Clarkson was injured by his own cows just earlier this year too!

Kali2 Sun 16-Jan-22 12:46:05

MaizieD

I am very curious, ExDancer about what might provoke a cow or bullock into attacking walkers?

I fully understand about cows with calves, but what other circumstances might there be? Are they territorial?

I must confess that if a load of nosey cows comes too close (like standing right in front of me!) I wave an arm and say 'git'... (I wouldn't do it to one with a calf..) and off they go.

As said above, a dog if often the key. Groups of Effers seem to be particularly prone to this, and some breeds more than others (Friesans being particuarly agressive, it seems).

So much so that in the Alps, groups of effers are placed with sheep to deter wolves as they will charge and see them off.

I have never been afraid of cows- as I grew up with farms all around me. But in the East Mids about 15 years ago, walking on an official footpath with our then large alsatian mix dog- I saw the Friesan effers in the next field, as usual, with the gate closed, as usual. Apart that this time, it was not closed properly. They cam charging from quite a distance, so I quickly and calmly dropped to the other side of the hedge, in a lower field, so they would lose sight of us, and interest. But they did not! I turned and faced them, as I was told as a child- making mayself look as big as poss and told them to go away, with strong, deepest voice. They came charging some more.

I knew then I was in real trouble and that the only thing to do was to release dog from lead and head for the fence. The fence was very high, square links buried in ground and with double dow of wire on top. I managed to climb near a post, tearing my inner thigh to shreds, and run across a marsh up to my knees to get back to road and back to field, to get my dog. I imagined her dead and trampled. But she was half across the wide metal fence leading to road (too large to get under) and absolutely terrified, but safe and uninjured. The police was told of the event and they went to speak to farmer (famous local milk supplier) who came to see me and apologised, to my surprise, as he had a reputation for being more than difficult.

Calistemon Sun 16-Jan-22 12:47:11

silverlining48

A few years ago we were walking, and the footpath took us through a field of cows. No calves and we didn’t have a dog.

There followed one of the most frightening experiences of my life. I love to walk but would always avoid fields with any cows after that. I truly didn’t think we would get out in one piece.

They are very inquisitive creatures.

greenlady102 Sun 16-Jan-22 12:48:35

Kali2

MaizieD

As said above, a dog if often the key. Groups of Effers seem to be particularly prone to this, and some breeds more than others (Friesans being particuarly agressive, it seems).

So much so that in the Alps, groups of effers are placed with sheep to deter wolves as they will charge and see them off.

I have never been afraid of cows- as I grew up with farms all around me. But in the East Mids about 15 years ago, walking on an official footpath with our then large alsatian mix dog- I saw the Friesan effers in the next field, as usual, with the gate closed, as usual. Apart that this time, it was not closed properly. They cam charging from quite a distance, so I quickly and calmly dropped to the other side of the hedge, in a lower field, so they would lose sight of us, and interest. But they did not! I turned and faced them, as I was told as a child- making mayself look as big as poss and told them to go away, with strong, deepest voice. They came charging some more.

I knew then I was in real trouble and that the only thing to do was to release dog from lead and head for the fence. The fence was very high, square links buried in ground and with double dow of wire on top. I managed to climb near a post, tearing my inner thigh to shreds, and run across a marsh up to my knees to get back to road and back to field, to get my dog. I imagined her dead and trampled. But she was half across the wide metal fence leading to road (too large to get under) and absolutely terrified, but safe and uninjured. The police was told of the event and they went to speak to farmer (famous local milk supplier) who came to see me and apologised, to my surprise, as he had a reputation for being more than difficult.

effers smile were they also blinders?

JaneJudge Sun 16-Jan-22 12:48:35

You should never enter a field with cows in before you have planned your escape out of the field if they do become cowish
dog on a lead round livestock at all times

MaizieD Sun 16-Jan-22 12:52:06

Blondiescot

A quick Google search will bring up a number of instances where people were injured by cows without any dogs being involved. It appears that Jeremy Clarkson was injured by his own cows just earlier this year too!

Thanks Blondiescot. I'll google.

I'm afraid that Clarkson being injured by his own cows doesn't do much for me. He's not a farmer and not, I suspect, particularly familiar with large animals.

We've had horses for years and I know that one develops an awareness of their movements when at close quarters, without which one could be easily knocked down and stood on. Which makes them potentially dangerous to people who're not accustomed to handling them. I suspect it's the same with cattle...

Kali2 Sun 16-Jan-22 12:52:48

greenlady102

Kali2

MaizieD

effers smile were they also blinders?

Oh yes!

Purplepixie Sun 16-Jan-22 12:54:44

I was always taught to respect the countryside and keep out of fields with animals in there. Make sure that gates are closed behind us and always be on the look out for animals with young ones. Just keep out of their fields, space etc. It isn’t hard.

Esspee Sun 16-Jan-22 12:55:07

I am scared of cattle. It harks back to my days doing geology field trips when crossing a field where the cows and calves were up at the top of the field they decided to attack. A herd of cows attacking is the scariest sight. They are unbelievably fast, and unimaginably big and heavy especially charging downhill.

Keep out of fields with livestock especially with dogs and ensure your animals are leashed in the countryside.

chris8888 Sun 16-Jan-22 12:59:10

I think everyone has the right to walk on public footpaths but you do need to be sensible. I wouldn`t walk in afield with cows any more than I would walk pass a pack of dogs in a park.

25Avalon Sun 16-Jan-22 13:00:14

Young cows (heffers and bullocks) like all young animals are inquisitive and boisterous. They will follow you across the field psyching each other up to get closer to you. If you turn and face them they will stop and if you shoo them they will run away. As soon as you start walking again they will be back doing the same. Doesn’t matter if you have a dog or not.

Adult cows with calves are a different matter as they are very protective and can become aggressive especially if you have a dog with you. I don’t like going in a field where they are. If they chase you it’s usually the dog they are after so make for the gate, release the dog and let it fend for itself. When I was young we were walking a footpath with our collie when cows appeared and started to chase us. We let the dog off and got to a gate and climbed over. The dog leapt on to the top bar and we dragged her over. Moral if your collie is scared you should be?