Gransnet forums

Chat

The danger of cows to walkers.

(168 Posts)
Sago Sun 16-Jan-22 11:22:21

As keen walkers we are alway very wary of walking through any field with cattle, I have been known to do huge diversions, particularly if they have calves at heel.

I read a report yesterday of a lady near Masham who was almost trampled to death and now has a colostomy bag as a result of her injuries.

Should footpaths be diverted or fenced to prevent these attacks where cattle maybe present?

A farmer on one of our regular routes has had to sell his herd after they were deemed unsafe, they attacked a lady who was hospitalised for weeks with her injuries, this seems unfair to the farmer yet I do believe we should all be able to enjoy the countryside.

What could be done to make it safe for walkers but not discriminatory for farmers?

Eloethan Mon 17-Jan-22 16:05:02

Some friends of our - fit people in their early 50's I would estimate - walked through a field in Herts containing a herd of cows and one of the cows attacked him and caused him severe bruising - and scared the life out of him. I have read several reports of this, where the outcome has been far more serious. I had always thought of cows of very benign animals and quite often walked through a field of them when I lived in the country as a teenager. Had I known that this could happen, I would never have risked it.

Iam64 Mon 17-Jan-22 16:18:15

Jillyjosie - absolutely agree with your post. I grew up with dogs and I’ve shared the last fifty years with dogs. I’ve had three during some periods, currently I have two. I’ve stopped walking mins at our local park due to the number of ‘professional’ dog walkers who open their van doors and let six or eight assorted dogs run free
Many of my usual woodland or lakeside walks are now on lead only for my dogs because of the numbers of untrained off lead dogs racing about
We are edge of moorland so some dairy farms but lots of sheep. Two killed by dogs recently

Riggie Mon 17-Jan-22 16:39:08

My friend has Highland Cattle and was almost killed by one the other year.

And yet in some areas they roam freely including across roads.

Awesomegranny Mon 17-Jan-22 17:01:11

Think it’s all down to common sense on both sides. Farmers where there’s a right of way across land should put electric fencing up to ensure people keep to the set pathway if cows are grazing or allow people to walk through an adjacent field instead. Definitely don’t walk your dog off a lead in a field near calves, stay quiet and keep away from the cows if you must venture in the field. Normally cows ignore you, but it’s sometimes the playful youngsters who will venture near but normally don’t get that close. My only concern last year was a farmer had put a nasty looking bull in a field I was going to walk across, so had to divert as there was no way I was prepared to take a risk.

Greyduster Mon 17-Jan-22 17:07:49

I was knocked over by a young bullock that was grazing next to a footpath across unfenced rough land in the Peak District which we had used for years and never seen cattle. Suddenly there were a small herd of them, and they seemed quite peaceful. I kept to the far side of the path and walked quietly past. Next thing this beast had given me a hefty shove in the back and I was flat on my face! DH tried to chase it off but it stood its ground. It had, however, seemingly made its point and I was allowed to get up and go on my way. One of the NT moorland estates which is extremely popular with walkers is now populated with cattle where previously there were only sheep. There are notices, but as someone upthread said, you can’t always see where they are until you’re on top of them!

harold Mon 17-Jan-22 17:16:23

When I was 21 or so I went on a holiday to Ayrshire with a friend. One morning she said "I'm going up the hill to read my book near the pond, What are you going to do?"
So I walked in the other direction and eventually was a mile or so away from the farm where we were staying. It began to rain, it bean to thunder and lightning seemed near, the field on my right contained several cows or cattle, I decided to take a short cut across the field, so I climbed the fence and began hurrying across, The animals near me were stationary but I suddenly realised that another group had started gambling around the edge and suddenly they began running in my direction. The far side of the field where the road lay was quite a way ahead . I quickly turned and ran back to where I had started, startling a small group of quiet animals near the fence.
I continued a my journey in the rain thankful that I had escaped intact.

Cymres1 Mon 17-Jan-22 18:44:08

ExDancer

Cows with calves will be protective and will attack anything they deem menacing. Usually cows on their own will just be curious, but they are big animals and can damage you without intending to.
Generally beef cows are less aggressive than dairy breeds but thats a sweeping statement and not to be relied on.
If you're in a field with cows they will tend to come over and check you out, walk slowly and don't wave your arms about or make a noise, stay by the hedge.
The best thing to do if you have a dog is to let go of it's lead, your dog can run faster than the cows and faster than you, and the cows will chase the dog.
Cows are domesticated but they are not pets (well some are, most aren't) so don't try to make friends with them or feed them.
I'm a farmer's wife and I'm not afraid of cows, but I treat them with respect and give them the space they need.

Very well put, as a farmer's daughter I totally agree. Cows are naturally nosy creatures, we had a dairy herd and they were quite individual characters, but to people unused to their behaviour they can be intimidating, and if not put off, can potentially be dangerous.
Arm waving is a really useful tip, it often stops them in their tracks. I walk through cattle fields regularly with my 2 collies. With my dogs under close control I don't get any problems, but I send them off ahead if I think they are making the cattle nervous. Farmers have to rotate their fields between livestock, arable etc. to get the best out of the soils and ground conditions. It involves a lot of skillful planning to get the best out of the land. It's their workplace and responsible for their livelihood, leisure activities are in a different area of importance. We are the guests. Sadly the way a few people regard the countryside needs a bit of education. Thankfully it's not too many.

Happysexagenarian Mon 17-Jan-22 20:56:52

About a mile and a half from our house is a herd of beautiful white Charolaise cattle. They often graze near the roadside. We have seen people climbing the fence to get a better look at them and walking through the field with their children, usually when they have calves with them. The children wave things at the cows and call to them. They are most likely holiday visitors who don't see cows where they live, or have never seen white cows before. It's a tragedy just waiting to happen.

madeleine45 Mon 17-Jan-22 21:26:48

My grandmother and other family members had farms at various places. Cows are more aggressive than bulls sometimes if they have young calves at foot, and it is especially important NOT to walk between the cow and the calf. That spells danger for the calf and even the most placid of cows will take fright and try to get to the calf directly. Secondly we had had many good and decent walking groups who behaved well but the most important thing that anyone walking through fields with stock in them, is to be aware that if you have a dog with you , it is a different kettle of fish and cattle with young see dogs like wolves and a threat. Sheep can lose lambs just out of running away from the perceived wolf/dog. The most important thing to remember is , if you do have to cross a stock field accompanied by a dog that if there is any feeling of being threatened by a single animal or group is LET THE DOG GO. The dog is more of a threat to the cow than you are, and the majority of dogs can run a darn sight quicker than a human, and faster than the cows too. so in an emergency let the dog go , and get yourself as quickly and calmly as possible out of the field. Dont run, in case you might trip, dont shout , just move as fast as possible. In the meantime the majority of animals will be more concerned with the dog and then if it is well trained, you should be able to whistle to it and get it to come to you. All of the children involved in any farming area where we were , were taught how to behave round the animals. Whilst I understand that a dog is a loved pet, it is far safer to let the dog take the attention and get yourself safely out of the field. But I must say, I have seen so many badly trained dogs being allowed off the leash, chasing pregnant sheep on the hillside , very close to where I lived, and stupid people saying things like , I thought he could have a run up here, or he has never behaved like this before. 3 years ago a local farmer lost more than 10 lambs and 2 ewes died , because an a badly trained or not trained at all german shepherd dog ran amok and the owner said he was usually very good. Personally , even though we had various dogs on the farm and at home I still would not chose to take a dog on a long walk in the spring time on farm land when there are young stock about. Life is tough for us all at the moment and those lost sheep and lambs represented a great loss in income to a hill farmer as well as the fact that he was trying to build up his flock with better quality sheep and so it was not just money lost but 2 of his best ewes from the good lineage. The greater amount of walking groups have done their homework, and have leaders who will have thought about where they are going and prepared an alternative route or a way round the farming areas even if it means walking on a road for a short distance. The countryside is so important to us all as we have realized with the covid situation. Let us hope that this year we may enjoy the pleasure and life affirming scents and views to cheer us. Well at least little by little we have a few more minutes of daylight to enjoy. Happy walking to you all

Bromley Tue 18-Jan-22 09:39:25

Steers in particular are dangerous. There is absolutely no reason why an electric fence can’t be erected to keep them off public footpaths. It’s cheap and quick.

Walkers often can’t let their dogs off the lead as they can be and sometimes are cornered by cattle,or maybe the dogs are too old to outrun them.

If I have a public footpath across my land and my dog just frightens someone,it can be classed as a dangerous dog.
If cattle chase walkers and even kill them, then it seems that is ok.

JaneJudge Tue 18-Jan-22 09:44:08

Bromley, I hadn't realised that regarding the dog confused

The only thing with an electric fence is the weight of a herd of cows will quite easily bring it down.

Petalpop Tue 18-Jan-22 10:24:05

I live near famous common land where one farmer keeps a herd of cattle. They have never been a problem and the common gets busy with walkers and dog walkers but the cattle just mingle in between the people. I do keep clear especially when they are being herded back to the farm as some or so big and on mass a bit scary. The only trouble is not the cattle but car drivers. A section of the road passing the common is not fenced off but there are cattle grids and signs to say cattle and horses crossing. Last year two incidents meant the death of one adult cow and then a few weeks later a calf. It was heart breaking to see its mother mooing over it until the farm could come and shoot the calf.

MayBee70 Tue 18-Jan-22 13:58:20

We do walk across the dunes with our dog and the cows graze there throughout the winter. We would never walk across an enclosed field with cows or cattle in but feel safe enough on open land. We can usually change our route if we see them. Because they have miles and miles of land to roam across they aren’t territorial about it. Also I think animals are calmer in winter: I know horses are. It’s good for the land as well: fertilises it and there are far more flowers growing in the summer. I think the farmer only puts quite placid cows on the common land ( at least I hope that’s the case).

Sweetsnbooksnradio4 Tue 18-Jan-22 19:39:21

I ended up having to roll, SAS style, under a barbed wire fence, with my dog, to avoid young stock (bullocks) that had gathered either side of a gate in a footpath. Then braved the nettles in a small plantation to come out past the gate. (Having climbed over said B W fence). A bird watcher was delighted to tell me he’d observed the whole episode!

They had started to take way too much interest in my Border Collie and despite letting him off (per current advice) he and Bullocks kept coming back to me!

Rosina Tue 18-Jan-22 23:03:25

We have meadows locally where cattle graze; people walk there but most are mindful of the dangers and keep well away from the animals. It takes little to panic or unsettle them, and once one or two start moving they all follow. I keep the other side of the river from the cows, but one day I stood heart in mouth watching a complete idiot weaving in and out of the cattle pushing a child in a buggy. Quite what he was thinking it's hard to imagine - one kick would have had the buggy overturned, or worse.

greenlady102 Tue 25-Jan-22 22:29:37

Sago

How can a bull be a dairy bull?

they are a breed kept for milk and not beef

spabbygirl Tue 25-Jan-22 22:59:41

every year people are killed by cows, there's great advice here, I give them a wide berth