Gransnet forums

Chat

Shuffling a Child between 3 to 4 different households

(53 Posts)
ChrisEllison Sun 16-Jan-22 18:42:28

I have a Great-grandchild who is 3. She spends two days a week with her father, two days with one set of Great-grandparents and 2 days with me and her grandmother, my daughter. I say she needs to be in her own bed at her fathers house (who has his mom and grandparents there), and has custody. I think it's harmful and I am seeing behavioral issues with her. I love her dearly, but spending two nights a week in my one bedroom home sleeping on the sofa or floor with my daughter is not a good thing. How can I get this thru to my daughter without her feeling I am booting them out? Would appreciate advice from others.

trisher Wed 19-Jan-22 21:48:48

grandtanteJE65

This is most certainly not good for the child and must, as you say, be addressed.

I have taught school-children that were being shuffled back and forth between divorced parents and even with two settled homes and reasonably amicable relationships between the divorced parents, it often caused harm to children aged 6-16.

I shudder to think of the consequences for a 3 year old.

Which of this child's parents do you get on with best? Your daughter I presume.

Sit her down and tell her that this situation has to be sorted out. If the father has custody, why is the child not living with him?

This biased and prejudiced view is one of the reasons the children of seperated parents suffer, because some teachers look for reasons to find fault with them. Of course some children aren't happy, but so are children from homes where both parents are together.
It needs everybody who has contact and input into the child's development to provide the support the child needs. So no snide remarks when a child has left something at their dads and won't get it until the next week. No dismissive "Oh well she's from a broken home" when a child has problems. But a positive attitude "Aren't you lucky to have 2 parents who look after you." If a child has problems the negativity from a teacher can only make them worse.
Surprisingly children survive, grow up and prosper when they have love and care from the adults in their lives. My GS with good A level results, happy and taking a year out before Uni is an example. He had 3 homes was taken to school and collected by any of 3 of us from when he was in nursery until he could travel on his own it didn't do him any harm at all.

eazybee Thu 20-Jan-22 09:17:58

Two children in my extended family are in the position of commuting between both parents' homes, and in my professional and personal opinion are happy, balanced and flourishing. After a very difficult divorce the parents are now reconciled and they and their partners and family on both sides are totally committed to the welfare of the children.

I agree that being the children of divorced parents is too easily presented as an excuse for difficulties. They can, in my experience, also receive an abundance of love and affection and support.