Gransnet forums

Chat

Am I being unreasonable

(33 Posts)
Jude2019 Tue 18-Jan-22 07:49:49

My son in law had symptoms of COVID I asked he have a PCR test as my husband has an autoimmune disease he refused and now my daughter has fallen out with me. I’ve looked after my grandchildren for the last 2 years for 3 days a week not wanting to be paid as I love having them. My grandson is 2 and my granddaughter is 9 months. I have been diagnosed as COVID positive I can only assume it was from my grandson who had a temp. I’ve not heard from my daughter at all while I’m been very ill with symptoms. They both assumed they would just drop the kids off as everything is okay. I said I needed a couple of weeks to recover and my daughter said she will enrol both children in daycare from now on. To say I am heartbroken is putting it mild maybe I shouldn’t have asked for the PCR test. I have isolated from my husband to keep him safe.

Jude2019 Wed 19-Jan-22 03:21:39

We live in Australia and he had symptoms so he could. I work as a nurse as well. Obviously things are different in the UK I moved here 11 years ago from the UK.

Jude2019 Wed 19-Jan-22 03:23:36

He wouldn’t even do a home test in case it was positive.

gmarie3 Wed 19-Jan-22 05:56:16

I don't understand things like this. There's something wrong with the world these days when so many people can't even be inconvenienced to put someone they love at ease and protect them from illness. The fact that Jude2019 has been a helpful and loving grandparent makes it even worse. I

V3ra Wed 19-Jan-22 06:52:57

Your daughter wants to think carefully before she flounces out on you.

Here in the UK professional childcare settings are having staff go off sick with Covid the same as anyone else.

Our local school had to send children home for the last three days before Christmas because of staff shortages, and the local pre-school sent out a warning letter this week that if one more member of staff goes off they will have to close as they won't have enough staff to be allowed to operate.

Wishing you well for a speedy recovery Jude2019 xx

Madgran77 Wed 19-Jan-22 07:12:39

gmarie3

I don't understand things like this. There's something wrong with the world these days when so many people can't even be inconvenienced to put someone they love at ease and protect them from illness. The fact that Jude2019 has been a helpful and loving grandparent makes it even worse. I

I absolutely agree with this. So unkind and unfair!

grandtanteJE65 Wed 19-Jan-22 13:36:06

Concentrate on your own recovery right now. I hope you feel much better soon.

You are, as everyone keeps telling you, not the unreasonable one in this turmoil.

When you feel strong enough to mention the matter to your daughter then will be the time to find out what you want to tell her.

I know what I would want to say - "self-seeking, uncaring besom" would be the least of it, but that would of course ruin any and all hope of a future relationship with your daughter and her family.

Please do remember that if you had just let them come to your house knowing full well that they might be infected, you would have felt dreadful about not having asked them to take a test first. They refused your reasonable request and now you are paying for their inconsideration.

Jude2019 Sun 30-Jan-22 20:37:41

An update. I met up with my daughter it was a bit frosty to begin with and she was very guarded no apology but she’s stubborn. Anyway we all sat down together son in law as well and discussed how to move forward. I explained I’m not a childminder but the children's grandparent and the only time I see them is when I look after them if I don’t do that I don’t get to see them in a grand parenting capacity. I said in the two years I’ve looked after my grandchild I’ve never let them down and been available at a drop of a hat. I’ve had the children overnight once a week for over 2 years to help them have time together. My daughter had put my grandson in daycare the 3 days I had him and asked if I would still have him overnight which meant I picked him up from daycare and take him the next day. I said no as to me that’s not quality time with him. Suffice to say he now does 2 days at daycare and I get to spend time with him overnight and the next day. We have since gone out as a family.