Gransnet forums

Chat

Camilla-Queen Consort?

(784 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Calendargirl Sat 22-Jan-22 09:38:51

Been discussed before, I know, but in the DT today, it seems that support for this to be the Duchess of Cornwall’s title in the fullness of time is ever more likely.

I, for one, would be pleased to see this happen. Princess Consort would be a silly title for the wife of the King.

I have never thought Charles will allow his beloved wife to hold an inferior title.

LucyLocket55 Sat 22-Jan-22 13:24:05

I was of the era of Diana and thought she was treated abominably by the RF, she was thought of as just a brood mare and not a living breathing feeling woman. Charles (especially) and Camilla behaved atrociously.

However, Camilla has not put a foot wrong since she became part of the RF and has more than earnt the right to be QC. Do not envy her in the slightest !

Lucca Sat 22-Jan-22 13:26:23

I just think it’s all nonsense, in this day and age who honestly cares what Charles wife is called

poshpaws Sat 22-Jan-22 13:31:10

Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was simply titled Queen, no mention of consort.

Not that I care a t*t about the royals, except for Harry, who seems to me to be the only decent one in the entire family - he saw how vicious and dysfunctional "The Firm" and its establishment of courtiers etc., were and removed himself and his family from the poison.

JaneJudge Sat 22-Jan-22 13:35:33

Lucca

In the 21st century really ? So what?

I read that as Jack Dee

Calendargirl Sat 22-Jan-22 13:39:53

Lucca

I just think it’s all nonsense, in this day and age who honestly cares what Charles wife is called

A few GN’ers look quite interested actually.

Gwyneth Sat 22-Jan-22 13:46:26

I think Camilla does a lot of good work for various charities and I have a lot of respect for her. I think she should be known as Queen as was the Queen Mother.

Esspee Sat 22-Jan-22 13:48:46

I care strongly. I care on the moral principle that the woman who committed adultery and caused the break up of another marriage should never be give a title of respect. As for her now husband, I have zero respect for him too.
Truly the monarchy should finish with Elizabeth I.
(II in England)

Anniebach Sat 22-Jan-22 13:51:12

Not St Diana again please

Sparklefizz Sat 22-Jan-22 13:53:41

except for Harry, who seems to me to be the only decent one in the entire family

Decent ?? When he has been so cruel to his family with his lies? If he had any problems, he should have tackled his family in private and not from behind Oprah's skirts when he knew they couldn't respond. He was passive-aggressive, not "decent".

Parsley3 Sat 22-Jan-22 14:16:35

I like seeing Charles looking happy and relaxed with Camilla after all those miserable images of his first marriage. I am of the opinion that having a Royal Family is as cruel as keeping dancing bears. They are not free to live a natural life and we the public can beat them up if they don’t perform to our liking. Still, if Camilla behaves herself then why not call her Queen.

EllanVannin Sat 22-Jan-22 14:19:12

Queen will do for me, I like the woman.

M0nica Sat 22-Jan-22 14:29:41

If a king marries, his wife should be called 'queen'.

The Duchess of Cornwall is the spouse of the heir to the throne. When he becomes king, she becomes queen.

Asfar as I know there are no rules that say you cannot be queen if you have committed adultery or broken a marriage or any other moral reason. If that was the case it would be Prince William ascending the throne.

Anniebach Sat 22-Jan-22 14:32:41

Thank heaven the now working royals don’t give interviews about their personal lives.

I wish the media would give coverage to Camilla’s charity work
but osteoporosis, victims of domestic abuse, care for the elderly isn’t glamorous

Larsonsmum Sat 22-Jan-22 14:40:00

Camilla has become such an asset to the Royal Family, and deserves to have this title when the time comes.

wicklowwinnie Sat 22-Jan-22 15:07:53

poshpaws

Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was simply titled Queen, no mention of consort.

Not that I care a t*t about the royals, except for Harry, who seems to me to be the only decent one in the entire family - he saw how vicious and dysfunctional "The Firm" and its establishment of courtiers etc., were and removed himself and his family from the poison.

It has always been obvious to a great many of us why Harry lives in America.

M0nica Sat 22-Jan-22 15:25:09

Lots of lovely lolly and a fawning and uncritical public.

Anniebach Sat 22-Jan-22 15:27:13

If Harry thinks his blood family are vicious and dysfunctional
why does he keep his titles ?

Why not Mr & Mrs Windsor

Mollygo Sat 22-Jan-22 15:34:37

Poshpaws, thanks for a really funny post. If Harry was escaping ‘the poison’, to get some privacy, why did H&M get their cauldron out and start mixing their own as soon as they reached the US? Maybe he was the poison and took it with him.

Lucca Sat 22-Jan-22 15:38:50

JaneJudge

Lucca

In the 21st century really ? So what?

I read that as Jack Dee

I’m flattered

Lucca Sat 22-Jan-22 15:42:16

Mollygo

Poshpaws, thanks for a really funny post. If Harry was escaping ‘the poison’, to get some privacy, why did H&M get their cauldron out and start mixing their own as soon as they reached the US? Maybe he was the poison and took it with him.

I believe this thread is about Camilla not just another Harry thread please…..
Calendargirl
Yes I can see people are interested, that’s fine but I just don’t understand the fuss about a title

Mollygo Sat 22-Jan-22 15:52:09

Sorry Lucca. Mea culpa. Camilla for Queen. I’ll be waiting for the, “should she be ‘Her Royal Highness or just settle for Her Highness”
As an aside, looking at the year group lists, Camilla is slowly creeping in. I’ve seen 2 already.

AmberSpyglass Sat 22-Jan-22 16:04:01

I’d prefer it if she didn’t have a title. Charles too. Let’s get rid of the lot of them, it’s nonsensical and embarrassing.

Yammy Sat 22-Jan-22 16:16:06

FannyCornforth

Yammy Camilla can’t be ‘just’ Queen in the same way that Phillip wasn’t King.
She won’t be the monarch.

I think that we are all aware of the awful things that are happening in the world

Then why was the queen's mother always known as the Queen and then the Queen mother? Is it something to do with the man being the king so his wife is queen and when the woman is queen her husband is only consort like Prince Albert? We have had Queen Mary and Alexandra.
Though somewhere I seem to remember William of Orange insisting on being king and not consort to Queen Mary.

Kate1949 Sat 22-Jan-22 16:17:36

I'm another one who thinks Diana was treated appallingly. When people say she was difficult, had mental health problems, was neurotic, so would I be if I realised my husband was in love with someone else when he married me.

Rosina Sat 22-Jan-22 16:30:36

When this topic was discussed on TV some good few years ago, the 'constitutional expert' as he was called, Norman St. John Stevas (remember him?) declared that the wife of a King is a Queen - simple as that.