Gransnet forums

Chat

Can anyone make me feel more comfortable?

(52 Posts)
Aveline Sat 22-Jan-22 09:42:41

My niece and god daughter has just let me know that, while on a visit to her boyfriend's family in Egypt, she's marrying him in a Muslim ceremony. She met him working in England. I know I should be thinking, 'as long as she's happy etc' but I just feel worried. What rights will she have, what about any children, basically how safe is she under Sharia law etc etc? It's not so much the religious but the cultural aspects that worries me. I just don't feel comfortable about it all. Can anyone share good news stories about such marriages?

Aveline Sun 06-Feb-22 11:00:07

Update. Well the bride and groom came for a visit yesterday. I must say my niece/God daughter looked very happy which was lovely to see. She said even before I mentioned it that their marriage was not legal here in UK but that they planned a civil ceremony here. I said that we'd be happy to travel wherever it took place. However, he said there might be a delay as they'd have to wait for his extended family to visit. Hmmmm. They were all at the Muslim wedding. I'd like our side of the family to be able to attend a legal one asap. I'm still very slightly concerned. Oh well...