Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you consider that large and medium-sized dogs should be phased out?

(190 Posts)
mokryna Sat 22-Jan-22 15:13:39

Would you consider that large and medium-sized dogs should be phased out to protect planet as their carbon paw print is the same as an SUV car?
Mark Howell, a councillor for Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole Council claimed that pets consume 20% of the world’s meat and fish and this demand adds to pollution as it has to be transported.
This is not to have present pets euthanized but in the in future would you try to think about the size of the family pet?

Tulpia Sat 22-Jan-22 16:23:58

Of course not. hmm

ElaineI Sat 22-Jan-22 16:24:17

What about large and medium people? Or large and medium cats? Saw a picture of a Maine Coon? cat in Russia the other day and it was huge! Almost as long as the owner stretched down her.

Sweetpeasue Sat 22-Jan-22 16:24:17

25Avalon

Life is getting very joyless.

My thoughts25Avalon
Guide Dogs? Working Dogs.
Mental Health of us humans count for anything at all.
Give us a break!

sparkly1000 Sat 22-Jan-22 16:29:50

So no guide, assistance, sniffer and police dogs then?

Riverwalk Sat 22-Jan-22 16:32:09

Maybe he's thinking of Operation Big Doggrin

Iam64 Sat 22-Jan-22 16:40:04

Riverwalk

???

I’ve usually had a Big Dog to share my life with one or two smaller dogs. So of course I’ll say don’t be such a misery guts. I do understand not everyone loves dogs. That dogs should be properly exercised and not allowed to pester people or other dogs but big dogs are often big softies whereas little terriers, watch out

Georgesgran Sat 22-Jan-22 16:45:02

Silly man - is he taking some sort of medication?? ?

Daisend1 Sat 22-Jan-22 16:52:23

Who the thought that one up.

MayBeMaw Sat 22-Jan-22 16:57:01

GrannyGravy13

Large and medium sized dogs are often working dogs, not sure that small breeds could be a substitute.

Could you see a chihuahua rounding up sheep? Or rescuing mountaineers with a (miniature ) bottle of brandy round it’s neck?
Daft idea says one medium to large (but small for her breed) greyhound.

MayBeMaw Sat 22-Jan-22 16:57:22

Riverwalk

????

Maggiemaybe Sat 22-Jan-22 16:59:41

He’s a brave man. My opinion is that when it comes to the future of our planet, there’s no subject that should be off the table. We are in an emergency, after all.

MayBeMaw Sat 22-Jan-22 17:00:01

Mark Howell, a councillor for Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole Council claimed that pets consume 20% of the world’s meat and fish
Rosie also strenuously denies consuming 20% of the world’s meat or fish - but was caught munching her way through a whole bag of treats last night which I had failed to put out of reach. ??

Yiayia4 Sat 22-Jan-22 17:04:48

Hope all the big dogs bite him in the bum.

Josieann Sat 22-Jan-22 17:10:00

Then next week they'll be telling us we should all have big dogs so we cover more miles exercising to keep fit.

Coastpath Sat 22-Jan-22 17:15:56

My terrier weighs 6kg but identifies as a big dog, especially when the postman comes up the path.

paddyann54 Sat 22-Jan-22 17:19:33

no ,but I might ban all those overpriced mongrels by another name ,my street is full of something poo's.Most of them are overexciteable and very noisy.When we moved here 32 years ago it was normal to see labradors and terriers and the odd bulldog .Now its Frenchies and poo's .Shame the old breeds are falling out of fashion ,I do love a border collie and an Airedale .

Josieann Sat 22-Jan-22 17:23:55

I think the idea of having a something poo is to avoid having a dog that sheds fur all over the place?

eazybee Sat 22-Jan-22 17:24:20

What a fool.
Anything for publicity.

AreWeThereYet Sat 22-Jan-22 17:25:52

"In 2010 Mark founded Poole People, a local, independent political party based in Poole, Dorset, which is focused on doing politics differently by promoting collaboration and innovation, and seeking common sense solutions. "

His idea of common sense solutions and mine are definitely not the same.

Coastpath Sat 22-Jan-22 17:27:40

Please don't ban me. I was originally an overpriced mongrel (JRT chihuahua mix up apparently), but then when I was 3 I ended up in a home and Mr & Mrs Coastpath came to rescue me. OK , I am a bit excitable and can be noisy but mostly I'm loving, fun and a very good girl.

GagaJo Sat 22-Jan-22 17:34:11

25Avalon

Life is getting very joyless.

Not half as joyless as it'll be when the polar ice caps have melted.

Visgir1 Sat 22-Jan-22 17:34:19

Unbelievable..No!

MayBeMaw Sat 22-Jan-22 18:08:13

Well I think obese people should equally be phased out.
They kearly eat a higher %of the worlds resources than the rest of us. ?

Callistemon21 Sat 22-Jan-22 18:09:09

I thought this was a joke at first.

If every couple who had produced one child were to be compulsory sterilised it might make more sense and save the planet.

Perhaps we could make a start by phasing out Mark Howell, that would save on his carbon footprint.

I don't own a dog, btw, nor a cat nor even a hamster.

Iam64 Sat 22-Jan-22 18:10:27

Let’s phase out miserable no joys