Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you consider that large and medium-sized dogs should be phased out?

(190 Posts)
mokryna Sat 22-Jan-22 15:13:39

Would you consider that large and medium-sized dogs should be phased out to protect planet as their carbon paw print is the same as an SUV car?
Mark Howell, a councillor for Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole Council claimed that pets consume 20% of the world’s meat and fish and this demand adds to pollution as it has to be transported.
This is not to have present pets euthanized but in the in future would you try to think about the size of the family pet?

Josieann Thu 27-Jan-22 15:18:29

Iam64

Coastpath

Joanathan Gullis, the Tory MP for Stoke on Trent North, talking about his dogs being off lead in a park.

twitter.com/bmay/status/1486349166565601281

What a strange post from Jonathan Gullis. I don’t know whether dogs were allowed off lead in the park, neither does he. He’s accusing the person who reported him as being a Labour counsellor or supporter. Why does he reach that conclusion?
I’m a dog owner, I walk my dogs but I always know whether Dogs have to be on lead. It’s my responsibility

Politicians just want to muddy the waters on the most simplest of issues, or to see things from a distorted viewpoint. Unnecessary ranting, silly man.
It's a wonder none of them suggested dogs having to wear masks.

Bridgeit Thu 27-Jan-22 15:28:02

….. and before long humans began to phase each other out, but there was still far too much hot air being expelled into the atmosphere. ……

Springchick Thu 27-Jan-22 15:38:01

Wow ! Dogs and cats are sentient beings and who are we humans to say we must phase out large dogs that eat meat , these animals are here living and breathing and do less damage than humans to this planet . Dogs are man’s best friend and cats are too so they have a right to life , and before anyone gets on to the (cats kill birds and wildlife ) , so do humans ? It’s a natural instinct for cats it’s in their nature , long before humans decided to feed them this is how they survived . Gods perfect creations . We are NOT the most important species on this planet , we are the biggest polluters and destructive beings , perhaps we can phase out a couple of million humans who are murderers, rapists, child abusers , and violent individuals who destroy lives , yes that includes animal abusers and fox hunting for fun ?

MayBee70 Thu 27-Jan-22 16:39:43

Iam64

Coastpath

Joanathan Gullis, the Tory MP for Stoke on Trent North, talking about his dogs being off lead in a park.

twitter.com/bmay/status/1486349166565601281

What a strange post from Jonathan Gullis. I don’t know whether dogs were allowed off lead in the park, neither does he. He’s accusing the person who reported him as being a Labour counsellor or supporter. Why does he reach that conclusion?
I’m a dog owner, I walk my dogs but I always know whether Dogs have to be on lead. It’s my responsibility

Without listening to it again I think he described them as a left wing whingebag…

Iam64 Thu 27-Jan-22 18:35:05

MayBee70 - yes he did, lovely individual

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 29-Jan-22 13:12:26

I'm sure the meat dogs eat we wouldn't touch with a barge pole, so they are helping to dispose of waste meat, what's wrong with that? By all means phase out dangerous dogs whatever their size, but leave these soft, clever animals to be our pets

M0nica Sat 29-Jan-22 20:23:27

The problem Gwenisgreat1, is that some owners are getting so disassociated from reality they do not want their dogs eating waste meat, they too have to have chicken breast beef steak etc.

When I was a child my mother would go to the butcher and when buying the family meat would buy a couple of pounds of 'lights', the parts of the intestines that humans do not eat, to feed to our cats and later the dog. The animals got 2 meals a day and no treats. I rarely remember any of them ever being ill or needing to see the vet. As for being overweight - I didn't even know animals could be overweight.

We do not have pets, we are away from home and in France too much, but if we did have one. I cannot see that we would feed it any differently.

OnwardandUpward Sat 29-Jan-22 21:14:25

I am a bit scared of big dogs and have been knocked over by (off lead) dogs that have run at me. My own dog is a smaller breed.

I don't necessarily agree with phasing out larger dogs, but I do think that the breeds of dangerous dogs that kill people should be phased out. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_Kingdom#2020%E2%80%932029

Skydancer Tue 01-Feb-22 20:01:05

I did a search for Germs Dogs Carry. It’s quite revealing. Sorry I’m about to offend most Gransnetters but I don’t even like going into a house where there are dogs. All that drooling into the carpets- it’s disgusting. And small children should be able to play on grass without encountering any dog mess or residue. It’s everywhere. And nobody can ever clear up urine.

Iam64 Tue 01-Feb-22 20:28:07

Good oh sky dancer, we need never cross each other’s front door step.

Blondiescot Tue 01-Feb-22 21:31:23

Iam64

Good oh sky dancer, we need never cross each other’s front door step.

My thoughts exactly. Don't like dogs, don't come to my house. My dog is part of the family.

Coastpath Tue 01-Feb-22 22:00:55

Not all dogs drool Skydancer. Mine's a terrier and she never drools.

I have read that living with a good mix of dog germs can actually improve your immune system and can prevent allergies.

My house is a dog's house and has fur, chewed dog toys, muddy foot prints, half eaten chews on the floor and dog shaped dents in the sofa cushions. You would hate it I'm afraid.

My dog is happy to host other dogs and will, if biscuits change hands/paws, even tolerate some people. smile

As I know nobody has been ill as a result of visiting us and our dog.

nanna8 Wed 02-Feb-22 06:40:15

We could phase out 90% of the politicians . They produce a lot of unhealthy hot air which pollutes the planet.

Iam64 Wed 02-Feb-22 07:55:00

I’ve always lived with dogs, only two have been droolers. One a lab cross, the other my current huge lab puppy. Both well mannered, will sit, wait as food is prepared then bowls set down for them. That’s the point they drool so they’re allowed to eat