Gransnet forums

Chat

Fed up with the drab weather?

(106 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 24-Jan-22 11:31:04

It occurred to me today that it is only a couple of months or so until April, when the sail blinds go back up in the conservatory to reduce glare and heat???????

mokryna Mon 24-Jan-22 13:38:52

I thought the weather people say that it is the warmest and driest January on record. Not this kind of dry … all gone

GagaJo Mon 24-Jan-22 15:18:31

Northumberland beach today. Would still be there, but GS got water in his wellies and the water was too cold for bare feet.

Patsy70 Mon 24-Jan-22 16:17:04

That is beautiful GagaJo.

Coastpath Mon 24-Jan-22 16:57:34

Blue skies in Bristol with an icy morning mist drifting away to the hills. I love this time of year when all is crisp and frosty. Nature is at the bottom of herself preparing to spring back to life.

GagaJo Mon 24-Jan-22 17:20:25

Patsy70

That is beautiful GagaJo.

It's heaven there, Patsy70. I love it. So does DGS.

Callistemon21 Mon 24-Jan-22 17:24:21

Coastpath

Blue skies in Bristol with an icy morning mist drifting away to the hills. I love this time of year when all is crisp and frosty. Nature is at the bottom of herself preparing to spring back to life.

Was that today, Coastpath?
Please put your hairdryer on and blow the grey clouds away from across the Channel!

Barmeyoldbat Mon 24-Jan-22 17:24:58

Well I think we are having lovely weather for January, cold but you can always dress warm. We are out nearly every day and yesterday I was cycling with 6 layers on the top and 2 on the the bottom half and slept like a log.

TerriBull Mon 24-Jan-22 17:33:33

It is a bit grey today, and yes those can be depressing. However, have also experienced some brilliant blue skies, like those posted. A crisp winter day can be lovely and oh such beautiful pink streaked skies late afternoon, I've seen just recently, quite beautiful and something special to behold.

Often when a mist hangs around in the morning it burns off later and a lovely sunny day follows.

Personally I'm just glad to get through any winter without snow, beautiful it may look for a while, but it generally causes havoc as to getting around and seems to bring life to a grinding halt.

MerylStreep Mon 24-Jan-22 17:47:52

Callistemon21

Grey and chilly here 4C.

But the snowdrops are out, the cyclamen is bright and cheerful and other plants are flowering.
A neighbour's tree is bursting into bloom (the flowers arrive before the leaves).

If only the sun would shine ?

I have 2 Bottlebrush blooms.
We’ve had lots a beautiful sunny days. ?

Lincslass Mon 24-Jan-22 17:51:31

Beautiful sunny day, chilly, but hey it’s Winter. Walking down the garden, see some signs of the coming spring on my ornamental Cherry , few bulbs poking up through the soil. Notarin, it’s just what I love about this season.

Lincslass Mon 24-Jan-22 17:52:24

Should have said, no rain ?

Coastpath Mon 24-Jan-22 18:13:34

Not today Callistemon21, last week, greyer today, but the next time I see the sun I'll send some across to you. It must still be up there somewhere.

Llamedos13 Mon 24-Jan-22 18:49:19

Anyone want to trade your grey skies for some snow and -15 degrees?
spring seems a very long way away here in Southern Ontario, Canada ❄️

Casdon Mon 24-Jan-22 19:00:41

Apparently (according to Derek the Weather) we are suffering from anticyclonic gloom in Wales today Callistemon21. It certainly feels it.

Callistemon21 Mon 24-Jan-22 19:03:17

MerylStreep

Callistemon21

Grey and chilly here 4C.

But the snowdrops are out, the cyclamen is bright and cheerful and other plants are flowering.
A neighbour's tree is bursting into bloom (the flowers arrive before the leaves).

If only the sun would shine ?

I have 2 Bottlebrush blooms.
We’ve had lots a beautiful sunny days. ?

grin
I do venture out occasionally!

Callistemon21 Mon 24-Jan-22 19:04:56

Casdon

Apparently (according to Derek the Weather) we are suffering from anticyclonic gloom in Wales today Callistemon21. It certainly feels it.

I do understand that feeling, Casdon!

Thank you Coastpath, I'll look forward to it.

Hetty58 Mon 24-Jan-22 19:07:45

No sun today - but, at least, no rain. I took a long walk with the dog, had lunch and cut the last of the lawns (started yesterday). It's unusually dry, as normally it's a sea of mud in January.

I do feel so much better on bright, sunny days, though. I have loads more energy and feel far more awake. Roll on spring!

HettyBetty Mon 24-Jan-22 19:32:11

Drab here today but we have had sun recently. We have literally thousands of snowdrops up and nearly in flower in the most sheltered spots of the garden.

The pavements are looking drab and dirty though, I would like several hours of torrential rain to wash them off.

Mapleleaf Mon 24-Jan-22 19:51:37

It’s been very drab, damp and cold here today - the sun certainly hasn’t got his hat on ?. It was the same yesterday. I hate this gloomy weather, much prefer the brighter, chilly days of winter to these damp ones - the damp seems to permeate into my bones, especially my knees. ?. There are glimmers of hope, though - the birds are singing, the bulbs are poking through the soil and there are some hardy flowers in bloom, so not all dull. I am looking forward to a little more warmth, though.

grannyrebel7 Mon 24-Jan-22 20:06:19

I love all the seasons, but winter is my least favourite. We've had lots of grey days which are so depressing, but I think January has gone quite quickly this year for a change. It usually drags. Looking forward to May & June when we get the most light.

Marmite32 Mon 24-Jan-22 20:13:07

Here in Toonie Gateshead much like you, Gagajo.Except no sea view sad.
Sunny and dry every day. No wind. Very cold, but I can cope with that. It's healthy.

Georgesgran Mon 24-Jan-22 21:05:11

Sounds as if we in the North East are having some fabulous weather? How about this for a recent picture - the Northern Lights taken over Tow Law in County Durham - just amazing.

Grandmadinosaur Mon 24-Jan-22 21:16:07

What a great picture Georgesgranand the picture from Llamedos too.

storynanny Mon 24-Jan-22 21:49:33

Very cold but dry here on south coast. I had baby number 2 37 years ago yesterday and it was snowing! I fell over pushing baby number 1 and gave birth the next day a week early. I do repeat this story every year so forgive me if you’ve read it before.
Hasn’t stopped loads of people getting out and about along the seafront though

Llamedos13 Mon 24-Jan-22 21:59:37

Thank you Grandmadinosaur