Gransnet forums

Chat

Children not invited to Wedding

(53 Posts)
Beswitched Mon 24-Jan-22 20:08:57

Here in Ireland, if your children's names aren't included on a wedding invitation you just presume that they aren't invited. It's usually no big deal. Apart from nephews and nieces children not being invited is the norm.

But on Mumsnet I see many threads about how to word invites to make it clear you cannot bring your children, or posters really upset that their children aren't invited.

Is Ireland very different to the UK in this regard? Or is it just a Mumsnet thing?

Nannarose Tue 25-Jan-22 21:44:27

I think when people say 'invited / not invited to a wedding' they really mean the meal & 'do'.
In England, the actual legal wedding does have to be open to the public so that anyone can object. I think the tradition of the whole community turning up at the church every Saturday has now largely died out - but I do remember going along myself to see people I knew getting married, and how lovely it was to see neighbours and old school friends waving at my wedding.

I think it still occasionally happens, usually when someone well known in community gets married. A local class turned out this summer to sing to their teacher as she walked into the church - just organised informally by the parents as a surprise to a popular teacher.

Grammaretto Tue 25-Jan-22 22:02:30

My nephew had his wedding in a huge RC church. During the service several people, off the street, including one family with a crying baby toured the church! It was certainly memorable.

Our own tiny wedding was supposed to be adults only but someone brought their kids. I was annoyed on behalf of all the friends and cousins I would have loved to have been able to bring their DC but we just couldn't afford it.

Weddings are a minefield. Who'd have them!