Gransnet forums

Chat

Places you didn't realise were so wonderful

(130 Posts)
Coastpath Tue 25-Jan-22 10:29:57

Escape to the Country yesterday was set in Lincolnshire. I had no idea how beautiful it is with such pretty villages, elegant towns and glorious beaches. We see so little of it on TV. Lovely as they are, Yorkshire, Cornwall and the Lake District seem to get all the attention. I wonder if there are other less talked about places which you've discovered and fallen in love with?

pascal30 Wed 26-Jan-22 11:38:48

Cuckmere Haven and the South Downs are absolutely magical

Susieq62 Wed 26-Jan-22 11:40:18

Northumberland is our go to place at least twice a year. But it has become so busy as a result of TV and Covid. I don’t want it to be spoilt!

Callistemon21 Wed 26-Jan-22 11:42:14

HannahLoisLuke

Callistemon21

I was surprised to see Lincolnshire in a different light yesterday. Years ago I visited Cleethorpes for a jazz festival and was very underwhelmed.
A few years ago we travelled through Lincolnshire en route from Hull and were just as unimpressed but didn't linger.

However, we were surprised that we really liked Hull!
Well worth a visit.

I agree about Hull. About fifty years ago my ex was studying architecture at the university and we spent a weekend there as guests of his tutor and wife. It was so green and lovely. Long leafy avenues with beautiful old villas. The docks were mostly filled in and used as leisure spaces. Of course there were/are also run down areas but on the whole I was really impressed. Hope it’s still as good.

We went when it was the City of Culture in 2017, HannahLoisLuke.
In fact, we could have spent longer there.

spabbygirl Wed 26-Jan-22 11:44:52

Warwickshire, I used to drive up to Scotland for holidays completely oblivious to the lovely country I was missing!

moobox Wed 26-Jan-22 11:45:10

We holidayed in Lincs in October. Happily occupied ourselves for a week, spending several days in Lincoln itself. Live in the much praised Northumberland so didn’t need hills and coast grin

SecondhandRose Wed 26-Jan-22 11:48:38

Stamford in Lincs, beautiful stone buildings and the shops are fabulous!

Portmeanne Wed 26-Jan-22 11:50:04

Mid Wales is beautiful- especially the Elan Valley.
Don't expect shops , mobile coverage etc , but what you have is beautiful countryside , dark skies status and friendly folk !

Marilla Wed 26-Jan-22 12:06:53

Mini Moon,
My heart soared to read that you loved Kilcreggan. I lived for many years in Cove, the next village on the Shore Road.
My children grew up there and we all loved it so much.
So nice to see that someone else thought it was beautiful too.

Daisend1 Wed 26-Jan-22 12:09:46

Peasblossom
Agree. Although having lived in North Cornwall for the past thirty years, there is no place like Leicestershire.
Its country side, character, people, why did I ever leave.

katy1950 Wed 26-Jan-22 12:10:29

Northumberland wild and wonderful just spent 4 days in Amble we had such a lovely time

Stephania1954 Wed 26-Jan-22 12:13:40

I live in Lincoln and yes there are nice places. The coastal towns could do with smartening up.
On the way to beautiful Lavenham recently we stopped in Ely and was surprised at how lovely that was.

Annaram1 Wed 26-Jan-22 12:21:19

My Devon is a beautiful county. I've lived here for 18 years and just love it.

JenniferEccles Wed 26-Jan-22 12:26:48

I have always said we are so lucky to live in such a beautiful country which I appreciate more and more as the years pass.

I think there are probably very few places (if any at all) in our country which don’t have beautiful areas around them.

Travelling around we often come across hidden gems, maybe a beautiful little village with thatched roofs and honey coloured stone buildings in an area not particularly renowned for its beauty.

It would be so difficult to pick a favourite area.

Dempie55 Wed 26-Jan-22 12:29:37

Well, I have moved from Devon to The Wirral, and I love it here. It's the only way I could afford a home near the sea, yes it's the Irish Sea, but it's still lovely. The other great thing about the Wirral is that it's very flat, and therefore great for walking and cycling, unlike Devon, which was very hilly! The Wirral also has a relatively mild climate compared to Devon, which was freezing in the Winter months!

poshpaws Wed 26-Jan-22 12:36:57

The Scottish Borders, where I used to live - hills, rivers, standing stones, lovely little market towns.

And the town itself, and surrounding countryside, of Brighton. I absolutely fell in love with that area.

Then there's Hebden Bridge, a wonderfully quirky town and the countryside around it is absolutely gorgeous.

pascal30 Wed 26-Jan-22 12:37:25

Dempie 55 yes Iagree, I was brought up in Heswall and would ride my pony all along the sand looking over to Wales. It was a wonderful place to have a childhood and we used to walk out to Hilbre Island... Enjoy xx

Dee1012 Wed 26-Jan-22 12:41:27

I agree with all of the comments about Northumberland...as you can see, dreadful place!!wink

Beau1958 Wed 26-Jan-22 13:13:17

Norfolk especially the North has some spectacular beaches I never knew existed and very pretty villages. I can’t say the people are as friendly as those up north though just my experience

ayse Wed 26-Jan-22 14:09:28

pascal30

Cuckmere Haven and the South Downs are absolutely magical

Love it. As a child we went hunting for Bee Orchids and finally found one. Mum left it where it was.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 26-Jan-22 14:23:16

We retired to north Norfolk which we already knew well. Lovely area and we find Norfolk people very friendly.

Peff68 Wed 26-Jan-22 14:49:59

I live in cute village in Leicestershire it’s beautiful countryside around here.

Rileysnana Wed 26-Jan-22 15:12:00

Suffolk is beautiful. I spent many childhood summers there at my aunties in Southwold.

sandye Wed 26-Jan-22 16:10:00

I live in the lake district and it is always the same places you see. the lake district coast is beautiful but never seen

Bazza Wed 26-Jan-22 16:11:40

My Canadian stepmother had travelled the world and always said Britain is the most beautiful country of all.

madeleine45 Wed 26-Jan-22 16:13:08

I have visited many parts of Britian, some chosen by me and others found due to singing in a concert somewhere. As i would be perhaps staying b+b it gave me the chance to do a bit of wandering around in off the track places. I would meet other singers who lived there and would tell me of secret special places to visit. But as you said "sshhh! if you tell everyone they will all find it. I love travelling through the wolds to the coast and see very little traffic. On a summer day you will hear traffic news about queues and hold ups in both Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales . I wake early due to bad back so could be off and away and arrive at the coast about 8am, have a walk on the beach and if ok have costume on and at least paddle in the sea. By lunchtime places get busier and I disappear off , and go home via Driffield or go to Malton or to Beverley . Only tell special people how to get to these lovely places. No smokers, petrol head noisy racers, or litter louts will get the chance to hear about places from me. If you look about and not just follow the sat nav like a sheep you can find something worth looking at. My greatest pleasure over the last 30 years is to buy the NGS Yellow Book, which gives you great private gardens to visit all over England and Wales and there is another book of the Scottish gardens. Treasure troves, that allow you to visit wonderful gardens, support the charity and find new and special places to visit. Happy travelling everyone