Gransnet forums

Chat

Places you didn't realise were so wonderful

(130 Posts)
Coastpath Tue 25-Jan-22 10:29:57

Escape to the Country yesterday was set in Lincolnshire. I had no idea how beautiful it is with such pretty villages, elegant towns and glorious beaches. We see so little of it on TV. Lovely as they are, Yorkshire, Cornwall and the Lake District seem to get all the attention. I wonder if there are other less talked about places which you've discovered and fallen in love with?

silverlining48 Fri 28-Jan-22 19:47:56

I think you are in Germany Jacky, you could tell us about lovely places there.
I will start with Bacharach on the middle Rhine or Monschau in the hills south of Aachen. (Sorry forget the area name. ) Black Forest and Bavaria both lovely.
Few British tourists think of Germany as a holiday destination and its a pity they don’t realise there are so many beautiful areas.
The bonus is they like us, and many speak fluent English.

Josieann Fri 28-Jan-22 20:18:38

Koblenz, Cochem and Bernkastel - great wines too!
Bavaria, I had a holiday job in München.
I was surprised how nice Bremen was too. Very Gothic. DH bought a Mercedes at the factory there and I bought a Steiff bear! Our son was sick in the new car when we drove it home!

Urmstongran Fri 28-Jan-22 20:34:27

Plockton, Kyle of Lochalsh. My stepfather’s place of birth. On the Gulf Stream with its own micro-climate. Palm trees along Harbour Street.

Kate1949 Fri 28-Jan-22 20:55:18

Antone who has been to Stratford Upon Avon knows that it's a pretty, quaint town. If you go off the beaten track, it's even nicer.