Gransnet forums

Chat

Places you didn't realise were so wonderful

(130 Posts)
Coastpath Tue 25-Jan-22 10:29:57

Escape to the Country yesterday was set in Lincolnshire. I had no idea how beautiful it is with such pretty villages, elegant towns and glorious beaches. We see so little of it on TV. Lovely as they are, Yorkshire, Cornwall and the Lake District seem to get all the attention. I wonder if there are other less talked about places which you've discovered and fallen in love with?

Kate1949 Fri 28-Jan-22 20:55:18

Antone who has been to Stratford Upon Avon knows that it's a pretty, quaint town. If you go off the beaten track, it's even nicer.

Urmstongran Fri 28-Jan-22 20:34:27

Plockton, Kyle of Lochalsh. My stepfather’s place of birth. On the Gulf Stream with its own micro-climate. Palm trees along Harbour Street.

Josieann Fri 28-Jan-22 20:18:38

Koblenz, Cochem and Bernkastel - great wines too!
Bavaria, I had a holiday job in München.
I was surprised how nice Bremen was too. Very Gothic. DH bought a Mercedes at the factory there and I bought a Steiff bear! Our son was sick in the new car when we drove it home!

silverlining48 Fri 28-Jan-22 19:47:56

I think you are in Germany Jacky, you could tell us about lovely places there.
I will start with Bacharach on the middle Rhine or Monschau in the hills south of Aachen. (Sorry forget the area name. ) Black Forest and Bavaria both lovely.
Few British tourists think of Germany as a holiday destination and its a pity they don’t realise there are so many beautiful areas.
The bonus is they like us, and many speak fluent English.

JackyB Fri 28-Jan-22 15:12:49

You're all making me homesick.

GagaJo Thu 27-Jan-22 23:23:06

Georgesgran

GagaJo - does it begin with a B?

C. Small place.

Chewbacca Thu 27-Jan-22 20:50:20

Mmmmm! Amble sea food restaurant on the quayside! Pure heaven!

Georgesgran Thu 27-Jan-22 20:22:30

GagaJo - does it begin with a B?

Georgesgran Thu 27-Jan-22 20:21:14

What a boring beach Dee1012
No crowds, no amusement arcades and all that dreadful sand! Don’t even mention Amble, Alnmouth or Bamburgh - dreadful places and who would want a boat trip to see a load of seals and puffins? ?

Callistemon21 Thu 27-Jan-22 19:49:53

Chewbacca

Flash highest village in the UK above sea level Callistemon! smile

Newcastle is a lovely city MissAdventure, I always have a stop over there when I go up to Alnmouth.

Well, you live and learn Chewbacca
I do remember going to a lock-in in a pub round there very many years ago.
I didn't drink because I was driving!

GagaJo Thu 27-Jan-22 18:43:35

I won't name the town, but it's an impoverished coastal town in Northumberland. Stunning beaches, always empty, even in mid-summer. Even people in Newcastle laugh about it, as if it's a joke, but I love it. An area of extreme natural beauty.

Treetops05 Thu 27-Jan-22 18:14:13

Tewkesbury Abbey, I grew up there and thought it boring - I realise now how lucky I truly was x

nanna8 Thu 27-Jan-22 10:13:33

Porepunkah up near Bright in Victoria. We went there many years ago and again just recently but I had forgotten how lovely it is.

Callistemon21 Thu 27-Jan-22 10:12:17

Hereford shopping, Ross shopping, blush! I really must do that trail when the weather improves.

Kate1949 Thu 27-Jan-22 10:10:14

Absolutely Callistemon. We are not too far from Herefordshire but it never occurred to us to go there for a break. We've been to different parts a couple of times now.

Naninka Thu 27-Jan-22 09:59:40

Another vote here for Leicestershire. Not the north this time, but south Leicestershire and the area surrounding Market Harborough. Drive a little further and Northamptonshire greets you - lovely villages surrounding it.
Rutland (my daughter got married in Oakham and had a small do at Normanton Hotel) is gorgeous. Rutland Water is a great walk/cycle and, if you've got money to burn, the Hambleton Hall place next to it is amazing! If not, there are plenty of pubs in the surrounding area offering delicious menus.

Callistemon21 Thu 27-Jan-22 09:58:29

Kate1949

Some years ago we went on a tour of The Black and White Village Trail in Herefordshire. I'd never heard of it before. It's a collection of medieval villages and is beautiful. We stayed in Weobley and visited some of the others from there.

I wonder how many of us have these lovely places within easy reach, practically on the doorstep, have never visited them but travel to places further away?

Kate1949 Thu 27-Jan-22 09:53:25

Some years ago we went on a tour of The Black and White Village Trail in Herefordshire. I'd never heard of it before. It's a collection of medieval villages and is beautiful. We stayed in Weobley and visited some of the others from there.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 27-Jan-22 09:32:14

Glad you like north Norfolk honeyrose, we have a few small hills and sand dunes but can’t offer snowy mountains!

honeyrose Thu 27-Jan-22 09:25:18

North Norfolk is lovely and has some beautiful coastline and villages. We were lucky to have a few short breaks there last year and hoping to do so again this year. We always travelled abroad for holidays, but the pandemic put paid to that and we’re still not quite ready to get on a plane. I appreciate England - which has many, many beautiful places to visit - much more now I’m older and since we couldn’t go abroad. We’re lucky in this country to have such beauty - although ridden with many problems at the moment! Having said that, I’ll always hold memories of the Canadian rockies, Austria and Switzerland in my heart (I obviously love the site of snowy mountains!).

Coastpath Thu 27-Jan-22 09:23:30

Ladyinspain we went to York for our honeymoon (obviously a long time ago). We were married in November so it was beautifully quiet outside of the normal tourist season and the evenings were cold, misty and full of fireworks and woodsmoke on Bonfire Night. Magical memories.

The Minster is incredible, the Shambles too but mostly I remember the narrow, cobbled streets, ancient city walls with beautiful arches in them, cosy pubs, twinkly little shops and cafes. I remember one pub had a glass floor so you could see the roman cellars below. Just 'being' in such an ancient feeling place for a few days was a real experience. When people say they went to New York on their honeymoon I always say, 'Oh, we went to Old York.' smile

bookwormbabe Thu 27-Jan-22 08:51:19

Shropshire is somewhere you don't often hear about, and we have enjoyed the bits we have visited. We spent a lovely pre-Christmas break in Shrewsbury once and it looked great with all the Christmas lights. Friendly people too.

paddyann54 Wed 26-Jan-22 21:08:32

Mini Moon my daughter lives in Kilcreggan now the view from her window is amazing.They love it there and wouldn't move for anything,its a great wee community and she has made lovely friends since they went there 8 ish years ago

Esmay Wed 26-Jan-22 20:49:45

I love the Brecon Beacons ,Herefordshire and Worcester .

Yorkshire is fantastic and the people so warm and friendly.

Scotland is another favourite - beautiful scenery plus Scottish Country dancing !

kevincharley Wed 26-Jan-22 19:31:50

Northamptonshire. The county that most people see from the M1 on their way to somewhere else. As I did until I moved here 8 years ago.
Gentle countryside with pretty villages and some lovely country estates. Great walking.
It's not called the Rose of the Shires for no reason.