Gransnet forums

Chat

I didn't know that! Tell us something interesting!

(170 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Thu 27-Jan-22 13:52:55

Did you know that collagen and gelatin are the same thing? It's called collagen inside the body and forms connective tissue i.e. skin, tendons, ligaments etc. It's called gelatin when skeletal tissue and other animal waste is rendered down as a by product of meat production. (Vegans and vegetarians take note! This is where collagen comes from whether you swallow it or apply it externally!) A rose by any other name...

Whatever the beauty industry tells us, (and they try hard to convince us), both substances are broken down to exactly the same amino acids in the digestive system and used to repair and build new proteins.

The offer of collagen powder on GN today normally retails at £6.25 per 100g (40% off your first order fetches it down to £2.50/100g. The offer is a 400g tub for £24.99)

Amazon sells a gelatin powder for approx £1.60 per 100g. Some is even cheaper.

paleoleap.com/all-about-gelatin-and-collagen Read right to the end of this one. It's not long winded and won't blind you with science! If it doesn't work as a link, just copy and paste or type it in.

Aldom Sun 30-Jan-22 22:47:06

BeverleyJB

“Anne Boleyn had a bigger bust than Jayne Mansfield, and both died by decapitation.”

I just looked up Jayne Mansfield's death JaneD666 and found out something else interesting….
She was the actress Mariska Hatigay's mother!

Yes, I have known that for a long time. smile

Callistemon21 Sun 30-Jan-22 22:55:08

Interesting fact - I've never heard of Mariska Hatigay.

Do we know Anne Boleyn's size from her clothes if any remain?
There are no contemperaneous portraits of her remaining, although Venetian diplomat, Francesco Sanuto did say she had a bosom not much raised!

MaddieL Sun 30-Jan-22 23:04:25

You are right! I never knew that either.

Grandma2213 Mon 31-Jan-22 00:24:35

Most kangaroos are left handed. Just heard that on Radio 4 today!

Witzend Mon 31-Jan-22 07:53:40

CountryMouse22

Shinamae

Heroin was once used to treat children’s coughs. (Up to 1912 apparently)

And Coca Cola used to contain cocaine, hence the name.

You used to be able to buy Collis Brown’s Compound, for tummy upsets/cramps, which I believe contained morphine - a derivative of heroin, isn’t it?
It was magic, anyway -just a few drops in a small glass of water.

Unsurprisingly it was withdrawn many years ago, but was def. available in the 70s. A lot of us (airline crew) used always to have some in case of Delhi belly.

Rabbitgran Mon 31-Jan-22 08:58:04

Rabbits are unable to vomit.
I always wondered why my husband's family took so much glee from using stamps upside down, didn't realise that it's treason.

TwinLolly Mon 31-Jan-22 09:12:09

The Scottish bagpipes have been in existence for several hundred years, but their origins can be traced back to as early as ancient Egypt, making them one of the oldest instruments known to man.

Latin and Greek references point to the bagpipes being used in North Africa, the Arabian Peninsula, the Aegean, the Caucasus and the Mari of Russia from c.100. They came to Europe as early as c.800 and to Scotland as late as 1750.

weeducky Mon 31-Jan-22 09:47:21

giulia, my Mum also told me to eat jelly cubes for my nails. I am 75 and have always had extremely strong nails, so always believe your Mum wink

Witzend Mon 31-Jan-22 09:56:27

If I’ve remembered correctly, the ancient Greeks didn’t have a word for ‘art’ as such, they used the word for ‘skill’.

Something that comes to mind when I see ‘conceptual’* art, and mentally compare it to Old Masters, or classical type sculptures in museums.
*Not that I’m writing all that off by any means, but I do think about the ‘skill’ factor.

Rumpunch Mon 31-Jan-22 10:17:50

Witzend

CountryMouse22

Shinamae

Heroin was once used to treat children’s coughs. (Up to 1912 apparently)

And Coca Cola used to contain cocaine, hence the name.

You used to be able to buy Collis Brown’s Compound, for tummy upsets/cramps, which I believe contained morphine - a derivative of heroin, isn’t it?
It was magic, anyway -just a few drops in a small glass of water.

Unsurprisingly it was withdrawn many years ago, but was def. available in the 70s. A lot of us (airline crew) used always to have some in case of Delhi belly.

You could still buy Collis Browns up until about 4 years ago as I bought some for an old Aunt who would never go on holiday without some. I had to ask for it and explain why I needed it but I did get some. I agree - it works very well as does Kaolin and Morphine. Both I believe still available from Pharmacists but hidden away.

Blondiescot Mon 31-Jan-22 13:04:57

Rabbitgran

Rabbits are unable to vomit.
I always wondered why my husband's family took so much glee from using stamps upside down, didn't realise that it's treason.

Horses can't vomit either. That's why it is so dangerous if they get colic.

grandMattie Mon 31-Jan-22 13:45:53

Did you know that tropical storms are called different names depending where they are?
In the China Sea area, they are called “Typhoons”, in the Indian Ocean, they are called “Cyclones” and in the North Atlantic they are “Hurricanes”!

Callistemon21 Mon 31-Jan-22 14:40:36

They are cyclones in Australia too; I've never experienced one but have listened to one on the phone!

Cyclones (by any other name!) spin counter-clockwise in the Northern hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern hemisphere.

Shinamae Mon 31-Jan-22 15:22:11

Alfred Hitchcock was frightened of eggs!

Callistemon21 Mon 31-Jan-22 17:25:34

Shinamae

Is that why he made The Birds?

(Sorry, couldn't resist! ????????)

Shinamae Mon 31-Jan-22 20:23:15

Callistemon21

Shinamae

Is that why he made The Birds?

(Sorry, couldn't resist! ????????)

I just knew someone would!! ??

crazyH Tue 12-Apr-22 10:41:07

If you're pregnant, don't eat pawpaw - it causes the baby to abort

HowVeryDareYou Tue 12-Apr-22 13:29:15

The actor who played Les Battersby (in Coronation Street), at the age of 23 stumbled across the dead body of a victim of Peter Sutcliffe. Nigel Havers' dad was the defence lawyer in the case of PeterSutcliffe's trial.

Witzend Wed 13-Apr-22 11:13:24

There used to be a London Street called Gropecunt Lane.,
(I have Bill Bryson’s ‘Mother Tongue’ to thank for that little gem.)

From same source, a lovely archaic English word was ‘ugsome’ (ugly). Dds and I love ugsome, though, and think it’s due for a revival.