Gransnet forums

Chat

Selling your own children, heartbreaking courage.

(103 Posts)
LauraNorderr Thu 27-Jan-22 13:58:25

Desperate mothers and fathers in Afghanistan are selling their children to feed the rest of the family. Having already sold a kidney. How desperate they must be. What kind of world is this.
I’ve posted under chat because some avoid news and politics and we mustn’t avoid this.

OnwardandUpward Tue 01-Feb-22 09:06:21

I know that Muslim is not a race, which is why I said "racist or divisive". Good that aid is doubled, though these comments were unhelpful at the time.

Yes, I am a Mother and Grandmother. More than this I am a girl. I was a girl. I did suffer misogyny growing up and I still do- so I am against any form of misogyny. These girls don't even have basic rights to start with, unfortunately.

I think in their position, I would sell myself rather than sell my child, but there might be huge punishments for that and perhaps it's socially acceptable to sell a child?

LauraNorderr Tue 01-Feb-22 11:44:29

Sell ourselves before we would sell our children is a noble sentiment but who would buy us. No longer young, no longer a virgin. As for selling our body for sex, who would pay when they can just take what they want when they want it.
Personally I can not ‘get my head around’ the idea of selling one of my children but neither can ‘get my head around’ being so very desperate that I would consider it.
I have never had to protect my children from starvation, from violence, from serious deprivation of any description and therefore cannot judge.
I have donated money but cannot feel satisfied that that is a solution. We need to fight for action on the ground to wipe out ideologies that treat women and girls as less then human. It is beyond disgusting, horrendous, unimaginable, heartbreaking in the 21st century.
I have no appropriate adjective.