Gransnet forums

Chat

Selling your own children, heartbreaking courage.

(102 Posts)
LauraNorderr Thu 27-Jan-22 13:58:25

Desperate mothers and fathers in Afghanistan are selling their children to feed the rest of the family. Having already sold a kidney. How desperate they must be. What kind of world is this.
I’ve posted under chat because some avoid news and politics and we mustn’t avoid this.

LauraNorderr Thu 27-Jan-22 13:59:31

What can we do? How can we help?

ixion Thu 27-Jan-22 14:04:19

I saw news footage of this, babies in bundles and little ones, at a ?market place.

I wept.

Smileless2012 Thu 27-Jan-22 14:09:36

I have no idea Laura but there must be something surely. If these desperate parents are having to sell a child to feed the rest of the family, whose buying them and why?

I'm glad I didn't see that ixion your post alone reduced me to tears.

LauraNorderr Thu 27-Jan-22 14:09:54

I wept too Ixion.

Boz Thu 27-Jan-22 14:10:08

The West (probably USA) will have to go back in.

Dottygran59 Thu 27-Jan-22 14:11:30

Oh dear God NO - just NO - there must be something we can do

Smileless2012 Thu 27-Jan-22 14:15:46

But what then Boz? How will that help these poor children and their families?

crazyH Thu 27-Jan-22 14:18:38

I hope these babies are going to good homes who will love and care for them …I hope they are not bought for nefarious purposes

Callistemon21 Thu 27-Jan-22 14:20:54

LauraNorderr

What can we do? How can we help?

As long as the Taliban is in charge, international aid will be withheld although some help is trickling through from charities.
Even if there is food in the street markets many cannot afford to buy it.
Another problem is that some agriculture was changed from crops to opium poppy production still ongoing. Afghanistan produces most of the world's opium. Nothing has changed in years.

ixion it is heartrending.
One baby was shown who had been sold and promised to a man as soon as she can walk.

Callistemon21 Thu 27-Jan-22 14:22:05

crazyH

I hope these babies are going to good homes who will love and care for them …I hope they are not bought for nefarious purposes

No, they are sold to men who say they will become wives for their son hmm

Boz Thu 27-Jan-22 14:25:48

The Taliban haven't the will or resources to help the Afghans. I am not warmongering but feel an occupation force would feed the people. Where is the food to come from but Food Aid as the Taliban will not talk to the West officially and are under sanctions.
A terrible mess. I am very upset, especially when you have to consider the fate of the little girls who will be sold as child brides.

Callistemon21 Thu 27-Jan-22 14:32:33

The Taliban haven't the will or resources to help the Afghans

The culture of the Taliban means that girls are second class citizens, slaves, even if food was abundant girls would still be uneducated an sold as wives to old men.

Iam64 Thu 27-Jan-22 14:34:44

It’s shocking but unsurprising. What an absolute shambles the US and allies have made here. I’m ashamed of our part in the way we walked away, leaving chaos in our wake.
Those children will be worth a lot to the crooks who buy them. There’s a world wide market for child trafficking.

BlueBelle Thu 27-Jan-22 14:39:56

I don’t know any way we can help these families because even if we donate more money it won’t go to these families
I m afraid you are not imagining realistically Crazyh no they won’t be going to be looked after at all, poor little souls and poor families
The only way I can think is to find out what charities if any are working with these poor families and donate directly to them

lavendermine Thu 27-Jan-22 14:47:35

Oh, how dreadful I didn't see this. Bluebelle is right about donating, the money will not reach the families. What a heartbreaking situation this is.

ixion Thu 27-Jan-22 14:54:10

I watched Sky News at midnight, initially with no sound, in order to cherrypick items I was interested in.
I saw the row of women as the camera panned along -
All silently showing neat (I have to say) nephrectomy scars.
I didn't sleep much after that.

Madgran77 Thu 27-Jan-22 14:57:24

So so upsetting!

Serendipity22 Thu 27-Jan-22 17:26:11

Selling the children to who ??

It reduces me to tears. If i see the news while im eating or drinking, i feel absolutely riddled with guilt. Its beyond any words i know, i mean if everyone gives a donation, then i ant help but think who will get the money?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 27-Jan-22 17:41:58

Unfortunately the only viable alternative is to keep an occupying force permanently in Afghanistan. Doing this would mean that we would have to go back to losing troops to IED’s and all sorts.

The Taliban are only interested in their Poppy Farms and pillaging the Country.

The few charities who are operating in Afghanistan do so at great risk to themselves and the Afghani locals.

OnwardandUpward Thu 27-Jan-22 18:41:11

The girls can legally be married at 8 or 9 I think. It is very heart breaking. There is an underground church there who is helping people with aid, I've donated to them before but it felt inadequate. I might be able to get the name of it if anyone wants it.
I think if people can feed their kids, they won't need to sell them- and really if they do sell them to feed the ones that are left, how long can they continue like that and what must it be like for those siblings that are left? There are no words.

Madgran77 Thu 27-Jan-22 18:58:38

There is an underground church there who is helping people with aid, I've donated to them before but it felt inadequate. I might be able to get the name of it if anyone wants it

Yes please

Serendipity22 Thu 27-Jan-22 19:44:00

OnwardandUpward

The girls can legally be married at 8 or 9 I think. It is very heart breaking. There is an underground church there who is helping people with aid, I've donated to them before but it felt inadequate. I might be able to get the name of it if anyone wants it.
I think if people can feed their kids, they won't need to sell them- and really if they do sell them to feed the ones that are left, how long can they continue like that and what must it be like for those siblings that are left? There are no words.

Yes please x

LauraNorderr Thu 27-Jan-22 20:29:52

Onward and Upward. I’d like the details please.
It’s a shame you can’t give details here but I imagine that could put the organisers at risk. I will quietly spread the word among trusted friends who I know will want to help.

ixion Thu 27-Jan-22 23:06:49

Me too, please.
Total discretion!
Thank you.