Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday 8th February 2022

(76 Posts)
Michael12 Tue 08-Feb-22 05:58:46

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , but dry here in brackley this morning, for the first time I am know able to look at the town hall clock from my lounge window , thanks to contractors cutting a hedgerow ,by removing 2ft of it .
Today , usual bus trip out later to Bicester for an hour , just for a break .
Take Care,
Mick

Grammaretto Tue 08-Feb-22 09:55:23

Good morning from the Scottish Borders where the sun is so bright I had to draw the curtain.
Great that the Hen do is going well MaryDoll I have only been to one Hen night. It wasn't something that was done in my day.

Stilllearning surely that was a setup! by your Sis-in-law!

There is the village of Dull in Perthshire, where tourists love to have their photos taken.

Great news for your family Beauregard

My DGD had the exact same thing GrannyGravy - covid just before her vaccine was due but she is recovered quickly and is back playing football now.

I am storing a bike for someone who is coming for it this morning. Not really decluttering but every little helps! Today there is to be a discussion about a possible new community garden so plenty of distractions.

May the sun shine for you all sunshine

GrannyOwl5 Tue 08-Feb-22 09:59:14

Morning everyone from a bright and breezy north Kent coast.

A morning in the garden beckons; a small ornamental tree/bush that has happily grown by the front door has given up the ghost and is now a depressing brown site/sight. Its brother on the other side of the door is growing away really well, so don’t know why it’s decided to die off…

There is a Squeeze Gut Alley in nearby Whitstable. Apparently it got its name because the local boys, when being pursued by a very overweight local policeman, used to dodge down the alley which narrows dramatically half way down and the portly policeman couldn’t get through. He was left fuming wedged in the alley whilst the boys taunted him from the other side.

Have a good day

Aldom Tue 08-Feb-22 10:09:29

Morning all. One more name to add to the list of unusual street /place names.
This one is in Oxford. Crotch Crescent. I really do feel sorry for the people who have that for their address.

luluaugust Tue 08-Feb-22 10:14:56

Good morning all from slightly overcast W Kent. Off to enjoy a walk and coffee this morning, we are lucky to have a couple of NT houses within easy driving distance. A friend lived at Pratts Bottom near Bromley at one time it used to amuse the children. Good wishes to all.

Urmstongran Tue 08-Feb-22 10:15:29

Last summer we were up in the West Highlands with my stepfather. We visited Ullapool and walking back to the car to return to Plockton Himself turned a corner to use the public toilets. As we waited I turned round and saw the name of the street! It made me chuckle knowing where Himself had headed but I expect it probably referred to a local person.

Marydoll Tue 08-Feb-22 10:16:10

I hope these take.
Everyone has surfaced and much hilarity at breakfast.
They were astonished to see that the kitchen fairies bad been at work! I can't help myself! ?

harrigran Tue 08-Feb-22 10:20:59

A late good morning from a mild NE, it was 11 degrees at 1am.
SIL sorted DH's computer which required a new battery, I was afraid it was about to die and I would lose all things pertaining to DH.
After lunch SIL and I drove to Waitrose and stocked up on good wine and bought a few tasty things for dinner. It was a nice sunny afternoon and Waitrose is a 40 minute drive so it got me out of the house. DD was working from my music room again so we brought her a treat back, the little coffee and walnut cakes are delicious.
DD was really concerned that she had not received her results from the hospital so rang the secretary, who said the results were in the post, seems they are in limbo somewhere because she has not received them yet.
I have cupboards to tidy but I am feeling lazy today.
GD sent me a message to say that she wasn't too poorly with covid and was confined to her room. Hate it when the GC are poorly.
Marydoll, your hen do sounds fabulous.

joyce6135 Tue 08-Feb-22 10:57:04

Morning all, what an interesting lot of posts today. The unusual place names reminded me of my father wanting us to move to a house in Titty Ho, but my mother refused because she wouldn’t have such an address. We then moved to Rotten Row!?
Pleased to see Marydoll is enjoying the hen do, thoughtful of her to send flowers, I do enjoy her posts. Have a good day everyone.

Grandmabatty Tue 08-Feb-22 11:18:04

The village of Dull is twinned with the town of Boring in USA! No funny names where I stay sadly

Marydoll Tue 08-Feb-22 11:34:37

I could get to love this lifestyle. Spoiled rotten at breakfast.

We have discovered this house if for sale. Anyone got a spare £1,000,000?

Blossoming Tue 08-Feb-22 11:36:44

My family rude place name is in Orkney but I’m fear I’d get banned if I post it here!

Megs36 Tue 08-Feb-22 11:39:13

Good morning all, Today I have an appointment at The Memory. Clinic. Have to bring someone who ‘knows you well’ and husband not fit enough so eldest son is taking me, should be interesting ! Add this to my dental disaster, mentioned last week, I feel anxious to put it mildly ??. Wish me luck …..

Annaram1 Tue 08-Feb-22 12:16:55

Good late morning all! When I visited Nanaimo in Canada to see my daughter she lived near a road called Jinglepot Road. Not rude, just sweet.

I hope all with troubles or illness feel better as the day goes on.

Blossoming Tue 08-Feb-22 12:35:16

Blossoming

My family rude place name is in Orkney but I’m fear I’d get banned if I post it here!

And THIS is what it should have said!

My favourite rude/funny place name is in Orkney but I fear I’d get banned if I post it here!

GrannyOwl5 Tue 08-Feb-22 13:01:57

Blossoming

I have a good friend who lives there Blossoming; we always have a snigger when we address her Christmas card ??

Blossoming Tue 08-Feb-22 13:54:49

GrannyOwl5 I can’t help a snigger whenever I see it grin

ixion Tue 08-Feb-22 15:35:29

GrannyOwl5

Blossoming

I have a good friend who lives there Blossoming; we always have a snigger when we address her Christmas card ??

Well, that's my afternoon rapidly disappearing!
Learning an awful lot about Orkney whilst scouring Google maps, so all is not lost?

BlueSapphire Tue 08-Feb-22 17:08:17

Yes grandMattie, the Pratts Bottom in E Kent!

Urmstongran Tue 08-Feb-22 17:33:14

I got curious!

madeleine45 Tue 08-Feb-22 20:06:07

Well it has been a rather stressful day and I feel exhausted but the overall gain is worth it all ( I think!) I had bought a secondhand ford focus with very low mileage, but my back has been getting worse and instead of having 2 bad days and 5 good per week it tends to be 5 bad and 2 good now. So great difficulty and pain getting in and out of the car, but didnt think I could afford to do anything about it. for the last week it has been a struggle and have been awake and worrying at 4 am etc, and couldnt think what to do for the best. Well there is a silver lining to dark clouds. Due to the lack of new cars second hand ones are holding their price, and my very good garage that I have bought from before, sell mobility cars. These cars are well looked after . Disabled people have these for 3 years and then change them. So , when I checked, the price of my car had gone up so much that I got more or less what I had paid for it , and sadly due to the covid situation, many mobility drivers have not been able to do much driving due to shielding. So upshot was that they had found me a second hand ford kuga with very low mileage. I have felt very worried about spending my savings on a car , but I have been left with only the options to change the car or stop driving. In a lot of pain and worrying about what to do no one to be able to go through it all with , and all sorts of hassle but today I did it, and have done all the paperwork and insurance and all that stuff and oh what a difference. I can get in and out of the car with only the ordinary pain that I live with, I feel I will be able to keep going. Best of all unbelievably it is a 2019 model with only 360 yes 360 miles on the clock. So I am looking at all the jobs I have not done and the piles of ironing I cant begin to do anything with but who cares? For the moment I have managed to get through buying a car , on my own, and think I have done ok and been fair to everyone. The relief is enormous, and the worry off my back so who knows , might even get some sleep tonight. i have been very grateful to read all your posts in the middle of the night, when I cant sleep and it lets me think of other things and is interesting to read what you are all doing. Obviously you have all known each other a lot longer than I have but it is great to be able to feel part of the everyday life of people, and follow interesting threads over time this last couple of years have been so grim and I have missed all the society of friends, swimming, choir, gardening etc. all the things that we just enjoy together and coping with moving and being alone has been tough , so thank you for all the interesting things you have written and I am sure you have saved my sanity over this past year!!

Urmstongran Tue 08-Feb-22 20:15:04

? madeleine45! Happy motoring in your Kuga. ?

Jaxjacky Tue 08-Feb-22 20:39:35

Well done medeleine ?? enjoy.

muse Tue 08-Feb-22 21:05:13

Enjoy your motoring Madeleine. Wow. What a low mileage. Well done. Hope you get a good night’s sleep now.

There are so many Cornish places with body parts in the name?. A fun place we have is Minions.

brook2704 Tue 08-Feb-22 21:11:11

That’s great news madeleine well done with your new car - enjoy!

Blossoming Tue 08-Feb-22 21:14:51

Lovely news Madeleine, enjoy getting out and about in your new car.