Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday 8th February 2022

(75 Posts)
Michael12 Tue 08-Feb-22 05:58:46

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , but dry here in brackley this morning, for the first time I am know able to look at the town hall clock from my lounge window , thanks to contractors cutting a hedgerow ,by removing 2ft of it .
Today , usual bus trip out later to Bicester for an hour , just for a break .
Take Care,
Mick

Pantglas2 Tue 08-Feb-22 06:13:01

Morning Mick and all who follow from a dark and dry Scrabble bag of tiles ? Laura and Gwen have sleuthed me out so ⭐️⭐️ for them!

Off to my second Reiki session this morning - felt so relaxed and lighter last week after the first one so booked another couple of sessions?

It’s an EV breakfast today and a ribeye ? and salad this evening- not a lot of effort going on in PG Towers today but we spring cleaned yesterday - Mr PG is a dab hand with his stick hoover thingy and doesn’t creak too much getting under the bed and settees....?

Will catch up later with all your bizzinesses x

Beechnut Tue 08-Feb-22 06:15:07

Good Morning everyone from Severnside. Dark and dry here. That’s good to be able to see a bit more into the distance Mick. I’ve started to keep my boundary shrubs lower so I don’t feel enclosed.

A normal Tuesday for me and a meal consisting of fish and vegetables.

Had a good laugh with my brother last night. He told me some tales one of which involved cheese sandwiches ?

I hope there aren’t too many worries today for everyone ??

grandMattie Tue 08-Feb-22 06:16:35

Good morning from a dry E Kent.
Nice to see the clock, Mick, does it chime?
One of Marydoll type adventures for me yesterday. I went to post the bag for gaga, paid with a note and was given change for £10. I was convinced I had given a £20 note. I mentioned that and was crossly told that she’d have to close the till and tally. Ok, I wasn’t in a hurry. So she was annoyed as she was convinced I was wrong. Every last farthing was painstakingly accounted for. She then looked up and shamefacedly returned me the £10 I was owed. Normally, I don’t remember what note I give, but curiously I did then…
The usual loathed housework came after, and little else.
Today, I’ve got T’ai Chi, and a WI meeting in the evening. I can’t get excited about the talk - Laura Ashley. I wasn’t in the country at the time, having been in England “only” 50 years this year.
There was a chat about place names yesterday, we have two charming hamlets round here called Paramour Street and Heart’s Delight!
Have the best day possible. Carpe diem. ???☀️?☀️☀️

FannyCornforth Tue 08-Feb-22 06:19:31

Morning all from a dark and mild Derby.
I can’t be the only one who is eager to hear Beechnut’s brother’s cheese sandwich story? ?
Have a good day everyone x

Gagagran Tue 08-Feb-22 06:24:41

Good Morning Mick. Pant and all who follow from a mild again south coast 9.5c. Can't keep up with the change in temperature. 10 degrees different again. Think we have our own micro-climate here.

My vertigo eased greatly yesterday and I was able to get some fresh air watching/supervising DH tidying the rear garden bed. We only have the one bed there as the rest is shingle and paving. He always wants me at hand to identify weeds otherwise the whole bed would be decimated. For a scientist he is useless at botany - and freely admits it! Anyway, I am very glad he is able to do it because I can't now, due to my joint creakiness and the vertigo problem. We had a gardener when he was recovering from surgery but prefers to do it himself now he can.

Like the sound of the steak and salad Pant - my sort of nosh. I am going to make Buddha bowls today, which are my new discovery and delight.

Hope the day is a good one for us all. sunshine

Gagagran Tue 08-Feb-22 06:26:21

Morning Mattie. Excitedly waiting for the postman now!!

Ashcombe Tue 08-Feb-22 06:39:40

Good morning,all, from a still and dry Torbay.

It must be good to have a better view, Mick. My nearby church has a chiming clock which marks the quarter hours through the day but only the hours through the night. (11.00p.m. - 7.00 a.m.) When I first moved in, I thought it would bother me but I barely notice now.

Enjoy your steak, Pantglas2! Our old teeth don’t cope well with it these days! I’m glad you received your correct change eventually, grandMattie, accompanied by an apology, I should hope! Those villages must have some intriguing history to their names!

In Port Isaac there’s a narrow path called Squeezy Belly Alley. A local folk singer, Maggy Duffy, whom I’ve met, has written a song about it which has its own Facebook page!

www.facebook.com/Squeezy-Belly-Alley-1557477787830102/

And on that note ?, I'll make my exit! ?????

dragonfly46 Tue 08-Feb-22 07:09:40

Good morning, still dark here in Leicestershire.

Up early as my cleaners are here this morning and must tidy up?.
Dexa scan this afternoon to see if my medication is affecting my bones. I hate scans.

How is your DD now Harrigran?
I hope all those with worries have a better day.

Goodbyetoallthat Tue 08-Feb-22 07:17:29

Good morning all from a dark but dry Swansea. Talking of place names locally we have “Salubrious Passage” & a Gower beach known as “Pobbles Bay” (fond memories of Edward Lear & the woeful toe situation)! Fanny C In our family we have a cheese sandwich mystery which has never been solved. Many years ago when the children were young my parents came to stay & my father made himself a cheese sandwich for supper, which would be eaten at 10.30 just before they went to bed. The sandwich was duly wrapped in foil & put in the fridge. When unwrapped at supper time a single bite had been taken. There were 4 possible suspects (plus the dog) but the culprit was never identified!.The children are now in their 20s & 30s & the cheese sandwich mystery is often alluded to!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 08-Feb-22 07:24:03

Morning Mick and all

Just gettilight here in S E Essex.

I am on granny duty for The Imp today, if the weather is dry I will put him in the pushchair and go for a long walk.

Our just 12 yr old GS tested positive for Covid last night, he has a really high temp and nasty cough. He was due to have his first vaccine on Thursday, that will have to wait anonymously 28 days.

Know safe and well folks ?‍♀️?

Grandmajean Tue 08-Feb-22 07:33:19

Early for me !
DH playing golf at 9am so cuppa arrived early.
No idea about the weather yet.
Eye test this morning which I really dislike as just thinking about eyes makes mine feel funny.

Pittcity Tue 08-Feb-22 07:37:50

Good morning from sunny Colchester. A milder, dry day today.
Tuesday is my volunteering day. Hope the better weather brings the shoppers out.
Must shake a leg.
Love to all ? x

Marydoll Tue 08-Feb-22 07:45:53

Good morning all from my mansion, somewhere between Edinburgh and Glasgow. I have a clue what the weather is like.

Despite my apprehension, I'm having a ball, waited on hand and foot by DIL's four sisters, I feel like the queen mother! We just hit it off.
We had a veritable feast last night, the girls worked so hard to produce it.
They were still having well deserved fun in the pool at midnight.
However, there was a bit of sadness, because they are missing their mum. I have arranged flowers to be sent to her today, not that it will compensate for everything.
Poor DD, who had a sleepless night the previous night, due to SILs snoring, was so looking forward to a decent night's sleep. She didn't, apparently, I snored all night! Slanderous.

I'm off to tidy up, while they are all dealing with their sore heads! I feel guilty, doing nothing!
I was really cold, so adjusted the heating ( many are cold water swimmers, so very hardy), DD tells me they are all dying from the heat. I told her not to say it was me!??

Wishing you all a very pleasant day.

Sar53 Tue 08-Feb-22 07:50:37

Good morning from our hotel near Southwold where it is bright but cold. A good journey yesterday stopping at Snape Maltings for brunch and a wander around the shops there.
We then had a walk along Southwold pier before reaching the hotel.
Today we are going to Lowestoft.
Enjoy Tuesday whatever you may get up to xx

Gingster Tue 08-Feb-22 07:52:29

Good morning all.

We have a Little Snoring, Great Snoring, Fingringhoe, and Ugly here in Essex.

The day is looking bright and fairly mild. I’m taking twin Gs’s for their Orthodontist appointment this morning, - they like me to take them as we stop off for a few snacks afterwards.

This afternoon I will pick up a bag of toys, clothes , books and puzzles that my friends gd has grown out of . DD loves getting hand me downs from friends/family for little DGD but she’s a bit fussy and it will probably , mostly end up in the charity shop. ? .

Then on to Bridge Club. Our oldest member is 90 today so we will have cakes (made by her). She is an amazing lady. Certainly the best player In our club, still arranging and cooking/baking for charity lunches, chairing meetings for various associations and is an all round good egg! ?.

I hope Kitty and Sar are enjoying their time in Suffolk. What a shame we aren’t up there this week - we could have had a little get together. ?.

GG I hope your Gs isn’t too poorly . ?.

Love the cheese sandwich story ?. These tales go down the generations of a family.

Wishing you all the best day you can have ???

brook2704 Tue 08-Feb-22 07:54:59

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s dry and bright and all the recent snow has now gone.
I love the funny place names, thanks everyone especially Ash for ^Squeezy Belly Alley!
Snap grandmajean I’ve also got an eye test today after my Fitsteps dance class this morning, hoping all goes ok for you
Hope your DGS feels better soon GG13
So pleased you’re having a great time Marydoll you deserve it! And such a kind gesture to send the flowers
Thinking of everyone with worries and struggles, hope today is gentle and take care all whatever the day brings ?

Grandmabatty Tue 08-Feb-22 07:56:05

Good morning all from Polmont where it's just getting light. 6° and dry at the moment, although it's been very wet.
Marydoll that sounds like such fun. I'm glad you are enjoying yourself. Gagagran glad, too, that you are on the mend. I had a spot of vertigo last month when I had a nasty virus and it wasn't pleasant at all.
I had the most awful nightmare last night! I can still recall bits of it now. I was glad to wake up, I can tell you. Yesterday was a day with dd and the boys. Dgs1 wasn't behaving well and dd dealt with him really well. She has much more patience than I do. A visit involves grandma running about and hiding and playing dinosaurs so I'm usually exhausted when they leave and yesterday was no exception.
Today is fish man day. Salmon fillet I think. Then I'm going to the local retail park to get some art supplies. Apart from that, I'll just potter. Have a good day all.

cornergran Tue 08-Feb-22 08:01:33

Morning Mick, morning All. Heavy cloud over our corner of Somerset.

Very different to yesterday morning when we had a pleasant walk along the sea front in sunshine . I’m off to meet a friend for coffee and lunch, one sort of blends into the other. Mr C is looking forward to cooking steak for himself while I’m out. Not sure what else today, wait and see time.

Hope the day is as good as it can be for us all. Get well wishes for poorly folk.

Jaxjacky Tue 08-Feb-22 08:03:04

Good morning all, positively balmy in S Hants after frost yesterday.
I hope your GS recovers swiftly GrannyGravy. Pleased the vertigo is easing GaGa.
I used to live near a Beacon Bottom when I was young, we used to snigger whenever we heard mention.
Two drives today, I’ll listen to Audible whilst waiting.
Have a pleasant day all ??

AGAA4 Tue 08-Feb-22 08:05:09

Good morning from North Wales. Windy here today.

Thanks to all who sent me flowers yesterday. Very kind and thoughtful people on this thread.
I will have a quick trip into town this morning and not much else planned.
Have a pleasant day everyone
Hope you all find some ☀️

kittylester Tue 08-Feb-22 08:07:32

Good morning from a bright and sunny Aldeburgh.

We had a lovely, lazy day yesterday wandering into town and back with a stop in the SeaSalt shop. In the afternoon, we sat and read and watched the sea from our room.

Today we are going to Snape too. We want to look around the gallery and visit the deli and shop.

We come here a couple of times a year gingster so maybe we can organise something.

AGAA4 Tue 08-Feb-22 08:09:12

Grannygravy sorry your GS is ill. I hope he feels better soon.

baubles Tue 08-Feb-22 08:09:50

Good morning Mick, morning all from damp South Lanarkshire.

It must be nice to be able to see the clock Mick. I grew up in the shadow of a church clock tower which chimed like yours Ashcombe, I loved to hear it.

Mattie, you’ve reminded me that many years ago I made curtains from Laura Ashley material before realising that I had a maxi dress in exactly the same pattern and colour. Somewhere there’s a photo of me standing in front of the curtains, my head being the only discernible part of me.

Marydoll, have fun On our Thursday visits to Portobello beach we usually see swimmers no matter what the weather. Last week one woman caught my eye as she emerged from the sea. She was hugely pregnant, wearing a tiny bikini, a pair of gloves and a bobble hat. grin

We have a lovely unexpected outing with DD’s girls today (a random flamingo). They are on holiday from school and their Dad has booked cinema tickets but he now is unavailable and DD is working so they’ve asked if we would take them. They didn’t have to ask twice. We’ll go for a bite to eat first, I’m looking forward to it.

Have the best day possible. ???

Georgesgran Tue 08-Feb-22 08:10:25

Good morning from Durham. Grey and breezy so far.
Babysitting DGS2 this afternoon, so I’ll definitely get my steps in and come home ready for my bed!
I have a village called Pity Me near me - supposedly it began as Petite Mere - named by the monks based at Finchale Abbey (pronounced Finkle). In Gosforth, there’s a place called Titty Bottle Corner - where all the nannies used to meet up with their babies in prams.
Have a good day. X