Gransnet forums

Chat

It’s my birthday but it is tinged with sadness

(41 Posts)
Shinamae Wed 09-Feb-22 10:33:40

I have had a lovely birthday week but it is my actual birthday today. I met my daughter in Frome in Somerset she travelled down from London and we had a lovely couple of days together. Went out with family last night for a lovely meal and I’m just about to get ready to go for lunch with some friends. I am very aware today that I have lived 20 years longer than my brother who died at the age of 49 with cancer. He was a very very good man and I was the black sheep of the family(alcoholic) and since his death have always thought I am living on borrowed time and really how unfair life is that he was taken so young. It’s at times like this I do wish I had a faith but I haven’t…

Sweetpeasue Wed 09-Feb-22 22:42:33

Hope you've all had lovely birthdays. Congratulations to Shinamae, Germanshepherdsmum and Annapops ???

Grannmarie Wed 09-Feb-22 22:41:24

Lovely thread, Shinamae. Lovely posters.
NNGB.

Shinamae Wed 09-Feb-22 22:19:55

Granmarie and Gwyneth…??

Gwyneth Wed 09-Feb-22 21:47:07

I think I’m just in time to wish you a Happy Birthday Shinamae. ?? I hope you enjoyed your lunch.

Grannmarie Wed 09-Feb-22 21:32:35

Shinamae, you are "allowed" to eat whatever you like on your birthday, enjoy the rest of your special day.smile

Shinamae Wed 09-Feb-22 21:30:06

I have had a splendid birthday (ate far too much!! ?) thank you all again for your good wishes ????

Grannmarie Wed 09-Feb-22 21:16:38

Thank you, Annapops.

SueDonim Wed 09-Feb-22 15:18:39

I’m so sorry, Shinamae. flowers

Shinamae Wed 09-Feb-22 15:12:53

This has turned into a lovely thread albeit tinged with sadness. Happy birthday to GSM and Anapops and thank you all for your good wishes ?????

sukie Wed 09-Feb-22 14:44:07

Happy Birthday Shinmae, Germanshepherdsmum and Anapops! All the stories here pull at my heartstrings and bring back my own memories of loss but in a good way. I appreciate the many reminders posted that we must try to celebrate and live fully in the day we're in to honor the memory of those we've lost. Thank you all for that!

Annapops Wed 09-Feb-22 14:42:03

Thank you GSM, I certainly will. Along with others who are reminiscing about their loved ones who were taken too soon, I too will hold the honour of knowing my little sister deep within me. Thinking of you too Granmarie.

Grannmarie Wed 09-Feb-22 13:20:59

Thank you, GSM.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 09-Feb-22 13:08:20

Happy birthday Annapops, I’m so sorry about your sister. I hope you can raise a glass to her on her very special birthday.?
So sorry about your brother too Grannmarie.?
And thank you all.?

Grandmadinosaur Wed 09-Feb-22 13:08:09

Happy Birthday to Shinamae Annapops and GSM ?

Smileless2012 Wed 09-Feb-22 13:02:52

'Happy Birthday' to you too GSM flowers wine cupcake.

lavendermine Wed 09-Feb-22 12:50:54

Happy Birthday to both Birthday girls flowers

FannyCornforth Wed 09-Feb-22 12:44:03

Happy Birthday Shep and Anna! ?

Grannmarie Wed 09-Feb-22 12:38:22

Many happy returns, Shinamae, GSM and Annapops flowersflowersflowers.
Such bittersweet memories, but it is important to live the best life we can in order to honour our departed loved ones. We don't know what's in front of us, so it's good to be thankful for what we have. My dear Mum always told us to count our blessings.

It was my dear brother's 53rd anniversary recently, he died aged 12, I was 13. I lost my brother and my pal, I'd never known him not being there. He could have been a father and grandfather by now, I think of him every day. My faith helps me to believe that we will all be reunited one day, that's a comfort.

Annapops, what a close bond with your wee sister, your 7th birthday present ?.
DS3 was born on DS2's 3rd birthday, they celebrated their 18th and 21st together.

Thinking of all with sorrow and sadness.
???

Annapops Wed 09-Feb-22 12:21:48

Happy birthday Shinmae. I fully understand how you are feeling. It's my birthday today too, a birthday I shared with my little sister. I always remember coming home from school on my 7th birthday and there she was. We lost her when she was 13 years old. Today she would have been 60. I will always love, treasure and live on for her. Sending youthanks.

sodapop Wed 09-Feb-22 12:20:33

Happy Birthday Shinmae sorry its tinged with sadness too. Make the most of your life now as your brother I'm sure would have wanted. thanks

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 09-Feb-22 12:17:38

Thank you everyone!

Kate1949 Wed 09-Feb-22 12:16:51

Happy birthday Germanshepherdsmum

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 09-Feb-22 12:00:42

Happy birthday to Shinmae and Germanshepherdsmum
??????
I hope you both have a good day. I think as you lose loved ones birthdays, anniversaries and holidays are usually a time of reflection.

hulahoop Wed 09-Feb-22 11:53:20

Happy birthday to Germansheperdsmum *and *Shinamae .? im not posting a lot at the moment but do read so sorry if I have missed previous birthdays x

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 09-Feb-22 11:35:16

Have a nice birthday Shinamae, a lovely lunch and try to remember the good times. It’s my birthday too, nice to share.?