Gransnet forums

Chat

Valentines cards and gifts.

(97 Posts)
Sago Mon 14-Feb-22 08:14:04

30+ years ago I gave birth to our second child, our first son.
I had laboured all Friday 13th and had an emergency section in the early hours of the 14th.

My lovely husband came back to see us at lunch time, he announced that the florists were charging a fortune for flowers as it was Valentine’s Day and handed me a brown paper bag with a courgette inside.

Amazingly we went on to have a third child.

I have told him not to bother with 14/2!

Do you receive gifts?

Happysexagenarian Wed 16-Feb-22 10:42:33

We always exchange lovely cards and small gifts, and we usually have wine with dinner. This year DH gave me a lovely bunch of red tulips and I gave him a mug coaster with a romantic message on it!

Toby1932 Wed 16-Feb-22 10:33:50

I have always bought a card for my hubby and organised something special, sometimes a weekend away, sometimes a gift, sometimes I go all out a cook a really special meal.
Hubby as much as I love him sometimes gets me a card but never does anything else.
This year has been really hard emotionally and I got hubby a card but was going to cook a meal. But hubby got me NOTHING.
I know it’s silly but I was reallly upset and sad. I ALWAYS do something for him be it valentines, his birthday or our anniversary, I always trying to do something special so I feel a bit neglected ?
Am I being silly and unreasonable?

Twopence Wed 16-Feb-22 10:27:49

My first inkling of DH's interest came as a Valentine card in 1964. Cards exchanged every year since, never flowers or gifts by mutual agreement. Since last year we decided to keep cards from previous year and use them again. We know our feelings for each other after 56yearssmilesunshine

GrammarGrandma Wed 16-Feb-22 10:23:31

We decided years ago just to do cards and have a nice evening. Actually, all our evenings are nice!

CanadianGran Tue 15-Feb-22 23:26:25

flowers for those that are missing their loved ones.

DH once made a little card out of a note pad paper, it's been re-used every year; he marks the year on the back. The original note is faded, but I love it. He also tends to but the miniature roses in pots, so I can plant it in the garden once warm enough.

I don't get anything for him but a kiss.

madeleine45 Tue 15-Feb-22 23:04:15

My husband and I always did things that meant something to us. He was always romantic and we had our pet names for each other. I looked yesterday at my little group of bits of paper cut out from different papers over the years. He put me a lovely message in the guardian, the yorkshire post, another local paper near where we lived. The guardian used to have whole pages of these messages and we would note that such and such a message which was near ours was there this year, or wonder what had happened to x and y . we have walked along a canal towpath that we used to visit years ago and climbed up at a lock to find if the fish and chip shop was still as good (it wasnt but still!) I still miss him very much but valentines day is when I allow a lot of these memories to come out of the box and know that if he was here now he would still be doing something special.

Kartush Tue 15-Feb-22 22:49:44

We have never celebrated valentines day and have been happily married for 50 years

Treetops05 Tue 15-Feb-22 20:46:46

Nope, I used to get 'something' when my daughter lived at home as she nagged...sadly no longer.

Coolgran65 Tue 15-Feb-22 20:38:58

My dh gave me a card and flowers (£15 the price was still on them). I gave him a card and M & S Belgian chocolates. We always make a gesture.

Missingmoominmama Tue 15-Feb-22 20:30:35

Jaberwok- my hip was two year old yesterday. I hope your husband’s is as successful as mine has been!

We had fish and chips and a walk with the dog yesterday. I gave him a rude card; he gave me a biscuit in the shape of a daisy.

bridie54 Tue 15-Feb-22 19:54:48

We celebrated early with a delivery of a Valentines Day afternoon tea box. The company only do afternoon tea boxes on set weekends and additional times for special dates. I saw the notification aboutValentines Weekend and suggested we do this and skip the cards etc.
Our tea was lovely with heart shaped meringues, tiny chocolate hearts and other wee extras in addition to the usual goodies.
I hope they do it again next year.

JadeOlivia Tue 15-Feb-22 17:49:50

I had caviar and champagne ..which sounds great, until you realise that the smallish box of caviar was also my birthday present in January, and the champagne was 2 glasses left over from father- in- laws 91st bday celebrations the day before. My husband really enjoyed his share of both presents ...

Mummer Tue 15-Feb-22 17:02:50

A bloke I was seeing in 1994/5 once sent dozen red roses interflora to my office, they were well past their best, so I rang him , thanked him sooo much then told him the state they were in and said I did so because I cared so much that he'd taken the time and effort in his very important dangerous and busy schedule to do the deed and I so wanted to right the wrong done to him. He asked if I could complain on his behalf as he was at the time of my call, in a hostage situation!! Oops!! So I did, he got a refund in full (how much!!) And I got an amazing replacement! We've been hitched now since 1998! He stopped bothering after about 5yrs!

Mummer Tue 15-Feb-22 16:51:56

CBBL don't fall for it! Nobody is as they appear to the world at large...... I'm sure you're enjoying your life as suits you , and not to impress the nosey holes on social media ?

Mummer Tue 15-Feb-22 16:50:19

#TIT FOR TAT GRRRRR

CBBL Tue 15-Feb-22 16:49:16

My husband and I have never bothered with Valentines day, but I have to confess feeling a little left out this year at pictures of relatives with meals out, weekends away etc. The curse of Facebook, perhaps?

Mummer Tue 15-Feb-22 16:49:04

Me and #1 hubby never bothered really , then when he was laid up in hospital he got a nurse to go buy me a card and some flowers? Odd? I of course went to visit Empty handed, to be met with his hurt expression and upset! I felt horrendously mean and devastated that I'd let him down In Front of staff and inmates (patients!) We never did it again.......jump forward 17/18 years He moaned and complained at every opportunity about me missing valentine's when he was very ill (he was) but failed to appreciate how damning it was for a newly married me being made to look an absolute cold hearted witch! I realised after I actually got to know him that it was all to impress the nurses-zero to do with him making a loving gesture, that's why it was ignored for ever after as it had been before!! So NO to ripoff valentine's Day over last few years just slap up home cooked meal with fave pud! even if#2DH liked in past to treat me, but never wanted returns he just did it because he loves me , not fit for tat!

LindaPat Tue 15-Feb-22 16:37:26

We exchange homemade cards, and usually a gift or two. Mr LP is very good at finding unusual quirky things that he knows I will like.

This year I received a lovely gold necklace with a hanging heart, set with a red stone, and a gorgeous glass mug, set with a spray of small enamelled roses twisting round it. Really lovely and so unusual.

I also got 2 doz red roses last week, just because. He often buys me things "just because". ( I know, I'm very lucky)

We don't do meals out etc, but on Sunday 13th, for his present, I took him to the model railway exhibition in Doncaster. He was so pleased that not only did I want to go with him, but had surprised him with the outing. Actually I love looking at the model layouts, not at the trains, but the little scenes, houses, people etc. Masks were worn, and a good day was had by us both!

Take care xx

Dibbydod Tue 15-Feb-22 16:30:52

I’ve kept a beautiful Valentine’s card my late partner sent me , so, this year decided to order online a lovely Heart Shaped pendant in stainless steel with his actual hand writing etched on the front and a picture of the Valentine’s card on the back ,it looks just lovely and something to remember him by .

Thisismyname1953 Tue 15-Feb-22 16:26:56

We met on Valentine’s Day 1968. He never used to buy me a card or present even though I considered it an anniversary wink. However , he sent me a Valentine’s card in 2007 but then died unexpectedly in July that year at only 57.
It would have been our golden wedding anniversary later this year .

Sue450 Tue 15-Feb-22 16:13:19

Got one once from someone I worked with, I was 16, bit embarrassing really because I likes him to talk to but that was all.
My dd had one yesterday with a bunch of tulips from her partner. She asked if her Dad had bought me a card or a pressie. I said no, we don’t give cards or pressies to one another
My romantic old dh said he loved every day with me he’s 81 so I thought that was quite sweet.
My gd has never had one but I send her one every year from Oscar our cat.?

Gaga46 Tue 15-Feb-22 15:31:29

When I was young Father Valentine knocked on the door and when I went to pick up the gift it disappeared. Pulled by string by my Dad. Was this just a Norfolk custom?

Serendipity22 Tue 15-Feb-22 15:29:08

Few grans mention red and white flowers not good match, i have never ever heard of the superstitious before....

A new thread could be started about superstitions !!!!

smilesmilesmile

Juggernaut Tue 15-Feb-22 15:07:24

@ Sago,
Our son (our only child) was born on St.Valentine's day 1987!
Husband was organised in those days and had already bought me a very lovely card. He stayed with me throughout my 19 hour labour, dashed home to walk the dog (a neighbour had done the lunchtime dog walk), and was back within an hour with a beautiful Orchid!
Since then we've never really celebrated St. Valentine's day as a romantic event, it was parties, discos, bowling, paintball and so on as DS grew up.
Even now that he's married with a son of his own, we all have a meal together on 'the day'.
I still get a single Orchid every year though!
I'm in no way high maintenance, but I would probably have crowned your husband with the Courgette!

DeeJaysMum Tue 15-Feb-22 15:02:24

Yesterday was our 8th V-Day together and the 8th year I've received nothing.
Every year I've got him a card at the very least but never got anything in return, in fact, if those 8 V-Days, I've one only seen him on 1 of them and yesterday we didn't even speak, so I've decided it's time to stop bothering with it (and maybe him) altogether.