Gransnet forums

Chat

It's a flipping worry

(34 Posts)
kittylester Sun 27-Feb-22 20:28:09

when the Antiques Road Show features a piece of office equipment that I used when I started work.

Exactly how old am I?

Kim19 Mon 28-Feb-22 17:43:01

Grammaretto, I had these in your picture as a wedding present from MiL.

Sparklefizz Mon 28-Feb-22 18:00:31

I'm still using Pyrex dishes and lids which were wedding presents in 1968.... only 2 of them left, though.

Scotsmum Mon 28-Feb-22 18:21:03

I'm still using Portmeirion lidded casserole dishes which were wedding presents in 1977. I shouldn't say this and tempt fate, but very rarely break anything. Never sure why because I'm incredibly clumsy.

CanadianGran Mon 28-Feb-22 18:45:36

TillyTrotter, I used one of those Telex machines as well, but it was in the 80's. When I had a job interview they had asked me if I knew how to use one, but in my previous office we had a tele-fax, where you fed a paper through a machine, then dialed the number and the 'fax' was sent. Imagine how large my eyes were when I was asked to send a series of production figures on the punch-tape telex machine!

TillyTrotter Mon 28-Feb-22 19:57:41

It was no easy task you were given CanadianGran . ?

AreWeThereYet Mon 28-Feb-22 20:25:05

I used to work in a hotel in London as a receptionist, back in my youth, using a dolls-eye switchboard i.e one of those you see on black and white films where the receptionist has a load of 'holes', one for each telephone, and a load of cords with connectors on the end for each incoming call. A little 'dolls eye' indicator told you which lines were in use. I loved using it. No one I know has ever seen one apart from TV.

When I started work as a computer operator (1980-ish) the fastest computer we had (all mainframes then, no PCs) had 8MB of memory and was as big as my smallest bedroom is now. It was state of the art at the time. I remember trying to explain my job to my DM, who had never seen a computer and didn't understand what they did, and the closest I could get was an old episode of something like the Champions where a girl was putting a magnetic tape reel on a tape drive ?

kittylester Mon 28-Feb-22 20:53:40

I operated one of those switchboards *AreWeThereYet?, I loved it too.

I worked somewhere with a computer room which was full of vast machines. The 'elite' who worked in there had to don hairnets, covers for their shoes and plastic overalls.

Urmstongran Mon 28-Feb-22 21:34:37

I have one.
I remember at 12y using it in Domestic Science. I made cheesy mashed potatoes and drew a fork across the top of them. Very artistically it was garnished with a piece of fresh parsley. Passed to me by the teacher. Looked right posh.