Gransnet forums

Chat

There's a rat in mi kitchen!

(91 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 23-Mar-22 18:09:16

What I'm a-gonna do?
I just saw and heard something big (it must have been if I saw it!) scurrying into my kitchen from the living room.
I feel queasy at the thought.

It disappeared to the murky depths behind the washing machine.

MissAdventure Tue 19-Apr-22 14:53:14

Still having trouble with the mice.
Both grandsons came out rather quickly last week after a mouse ran out from under the bed.
I think that is their home now, and having looked, I think there is enough to keep them happy.
We need to pull it out and clear out all the rubbish thats under it.

downtoearth Tue 19-Apr-22 09:20:58

Reported

sofiaevans Tue 19-Apr-22 07:41:22

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

JaneJudge Tue 29-Mar-22 08:42:02

aww

MissAdventure Mon 28-Mar-22 21:26:13

Well.. my electronic mouse zapped caught a very small mouse today.
It's taken me hours to look inside, but there he was.
He looked as if he had just fallen asleep.

sazz1 Fri 25-Mar-22 16:36:27

My sister had a rat in her kitchen a few weeks ago. She thought it was a mouse and put a mouse trap down which luckily killed it. It was just the one which was lucky. She still doesn't know how it came in as no holes behind cupboards anywhere. She thinks it came in the back door when the kids left it open.
If you have dogs or cats watch their water and food bowls as some rats carry leptospirosis

Ethelwashere1 Fri 25-Mar-22 09:30:33

My mother had a rat in her loft last year. She would be amused to think that her council house was posh enough for a lift lol

Ethelwashere1 Fri 25-Mar-22 09:28:59

I have a rat problem, thankfully just in the garden. Last year I followed the trend of making a wildlife garden as demonstrated by a to programme. I made a pile of sticks for hedgehogs, I regularly feed my birds and have my black compost bin. This year I’ve a family of rats. My neighbour puts piles of bread etc on his grass, I think his baking must be worse than mine. The rat catcher from the council is 55.00 nowadays, he put 2 boxes of appetising blue stuff in my garden but the rats ate it and we’re still there on his next visit. He explained that eating it once won’t work it has to accumulate over a while. Hopefully this is what’s happened as they haven’t been seen this week so my sticks are gone and the bird feeder is gone. I’ve had a bonfire and am now constantly on the lookout. My mother had one on her lift last year and was terrified. It seems like they are everywhere. My sympathies to those affected.

pinkprincess Thu 24-Mar-22 23:15:57

I was infested with rats last summer.There are new houses being built behind me and the trans were being dug, disturbing the underground population.Also the road was inaccessible so the waste bins were not being emptied, result Mr and Mrs Rat were having parties and inviting their mates around.They were also having orgies which resulted in loads of baby rats.
The council refused to do anything.There is no pest control provided so when I rang I was put in touch with Rentokil who wanted £400 yes £400 so I told them where to go.I got some sonic plugs after my granddaughter saw a rat dropping from the ceiling.We have a dog so have to be wary where we put poison but I am still on the watch for the evil beings.

MissAdventure Thu 24-Mar-22 23:11:35

Oooh.
I don't want to hear any screams, or see any tails, or bodies twitching in my traps!

It's all horrible - they should just stay away from humans and stick with their own kind.

tidyskatemum Thu 24-Mar-22 22:36:16

We had a rat which got in through a gap in a pipe from the washing machine to the outside drain. It made a nest in the garage and somehow got inside the walls as we heard it scrabbling about in the loft. We blocked the hole when we were sure it was outside and it screamed the place down when it failed to get back in.

Grannybags Thu 24-Mar-22 20:52:32

stuck even....

Grannybags Thu 24-Mar-22 20:52:16

Just wanted to say thanks MisAdventure I've had that song stick in my head all day!!

merlotgran Thu 24-Mar-22 19:59:58

BelindaB

If in doubt - find someone who ownes a Jack Russell terier and borrow it for the day....

You might have to borrow the owner as well. Mine would smell a rat and not in the way you’d hope for. ?

Daisymae Thu 24-Mar-22 19:16:28

Our council don't have any pest control. However I wouldn't bother about anything outside, we live in the country and they are everywhere. I'm sure that I also read you never more than a few feet away from a rat in London. However I do draw the line sharing a house. I would call a pest control company, bearing in mind they don't live alone.

Mine Thu 24-Mar-22 18:49:32

I need to share this bout rats.......Put bird feeder out on a tree in my garden...Squirrels kept feeding on....I was standing at my kitchen sink when the next thing a rat came through my fence...scurried up the tree...squirrel flew for its life..and rat started eating fro the bird feeder...I froze to the spot....then started shouting on my hubby.....Needless to say the birdfeeder has gone & no more rats been seen.....thank the lord....

Froglady Thu 24-Mar-22 15:46:06

DanniRae

Ever since I read that rats can get in via the toilet we put the lid down. Both toilets have quite heavy lids and, hopefully, the horrible creatures wouldn't be able to lift them shock

I don't have a lid for my toilet as it has a raised seat because I'm disabled. Been training myself to keep the door shut all the time.

Musicgirl Thu 24-Mar-22 15:43:26

Brilliant suggestions by other posters. I am shuddering at the very thought and am glad you cannot see my facial expression. You have my utmost sympathy.

BelindaB Thu 24-Mar-22 15:09:17

If in doubt - find someone who ownes a Jack Russell terier and borrow it for the day....

GreenGran78 Thu 24-Mar-22 15:04:36

My next door neighbour had her paths professionally jet washed. Shortly after she heard scurrying noises in her loft. The pest control man found a small space at the base of her wall, where the cement had been blasted away. A camera in the loft revealed that she had a new tenant, which must have gone through the hole and climbed up through the air space in the wall. Poison dealt promptly with the problem, but she slept downstairs for weeks afterwards, and still worries, even though the access hole has been filled.
I don't mind the little beggars if they stay outside, and I rarely see one, but I don't want them in the house. I hope you manage to get rid of your visitor, Miss A, but old houses are difficult to keep clear. You definitely need the pest controller to come, before they start breeding.

GraceQuirrel Thu 24-Mar-22 14:33:19

I had a little brown mouse that nested under the stairs. Our dog alerted us to something amiss. We managed to catch the poor thing and put him in the garden. He had been living off dog biscuits and made a lovely nest out of a hessian bag. However his wee spot was behind a sofa against a wall, so he had to go. I felt a bit guilty tbh.

MissAdventure Thu 24-Mar-22 14:04:59

I also saw the mousetrap enthusiast testing out just a shallow, washing up type bowl with peanut oil in it.
The sweet smell lures them in, and it's too slippery to get out of. Ugh!
It worked, though.

SillyNanny321 Thu 24-Mar-22 14:01:41

I was told a few years ago after seeing a rat running up the side of a bungalow to get to the baby Gulls on the roof get speared by the male Gull that if you have Gulls around your properties then you wont have rats. Apparently the Gulls deal with the rats so no rats. I love our Gulls anyway & watch the babies every year so having them as rat catchers is a bonus!

Ktsmum Thu 24-Mar-22 13:57:09

Peppermint oil will get rid, they cant tolerate the smell. Sprinkle on cotton wool.pads and leave around the kitchen, they will leave and not come back. Worked a treat on our attic mice xx

Cagsy Thu 24-Mar-22 13:56:12

We had them in the garden, took the bird feeders down and paid £200 to get rid of them, poison in containers our cat couldn't get into. They had to pay about 4 visits to make sure we were clear. We have bird feeders again but over a planter where it's easier to get rid of any of the seed droppings that the wood pigeons don't collect.