Gransnet forums

Chat

Things!

(55 Posts)
Audi10 Sun 27-Mar-22 18:45:56

Yes! I think that’s the thing they do gain pleasure in the act of giving that’s right Shandy57! Oh what a great idea Jaxjacky garden vouchers! Solved!

Kate1949 Sun 27-Mar-22 18:45:55

I feel the same. It was my husband's birthday last week. He said he didn't want 'things' and could he have foody bits. He loves cooking and was bought nice olive oil, cheeses, crackers, wine and gin. He was happy
smile

Jaxjacky Sun 27-Mar-22 18:43:38

Yes and I have to get firm, I donated one Christmas presents to charity, a couple to my daughter, both from the same couple, I’ve known him for 30 odd years, her for 20. They will never have seen a scented candle or diffuser in my house, but they bought me some!
The only way I can see for me to get round it is to ask for garden vouchers, I’ll always use them, I’ll do that via MrJ who goes for a drink with him weekly.

Shandy57 Sun 27-Mar-22 18:39:53

I know some people deal with this by regifting - and unfortunately some people have received the gifts they've given back as presents.

I think the people giving you these things gain pleasure from the act of giving, and want to show you they've thought of you. I'd put another shelf up!

Audi10 Sun 27-Mar-22 18:35:28

I’m trying to think of the best way to word this, firstly let me say I’m very appreciative of my friends and family, love them to bits, but I’m getting to the point of please don’t buy me any more bits and pieces! I’m actually de cluttering and getting on pretty well I think, so what’s the problem you might say? Despite me telling telling my friends family please don’t waste your money on me they do! Give to such and such charity, etc etc, it falls on deaf ears I’m afraid! I do end up keeping the things they’ve bought me as I just can’t give it away! Anyone else have this happen! There’s only so many things you can have despite living in a large home