Gransnet forums

Chat

Fed up of being used

(34 Posts)
AliceS Sun 03-Apr-22 22:48:59

Hello,
I applied to volunteer as a trustee for a mental health organisation. The meeting and selection process took a long time over 3 months. Met with Director after being an observer to a zoom meeting with my chosen Foundation. The company is £50,000 in debt so offered professional feedback on how to improve web content, social media strategy, fundraising campaigns and community outreach. Had follow up meeting with two on the team. They said it wasn't an interview but were asking me a lot of questions like 'should we employ someone?' 'what do you think is the priority of the organisation?' 'How would we promote the foundation?' etc. One of them was very dismissive of my answers and the Director already admitted that he'd filled the position I applied for halfway in the meeting. I felt used and disappointed and feel that I have offered them free advice with no end result. I have studied at three universities, have two fellowships and over 30 years experience across the arts, heritage and education sectors so I don't know why they didn't offer me anything and just strung me along. My family think it is because it's all friends together and the Director said 'I feel that we would be holding you back' which is a weird thing to say as I offered my services for free. Any thoughts? I don't think I will bother volunteering again.

DeeJaysMum Tue 05-Apr-22 16:29:30

It's not surprising in the slightest. Everyone wants something for nothing. I know it's a charity and you were offering your services for free but they evidently wanted to use your ideas and keep the credit for themselves.

Slightly different situation but early last year my son applied for a position with an online food kit company and was asked for a sample recipe before his interview. He does have an extensive list of his own recipes and gave them a list of about 10 but submitted the recipes for 2.
At the interview he was asked about all the suggestions he'd made and their recipes rather than asking about his qualifications/experience. Then, just before the end of the interview they said that they'd seen him because he had good qualifications and had submitted some great ideas for future products but that they were actually looking for a woman for the job.
Over the past year, they have tried to recreate no less than 5 of his recipes, they've been a bit rubbish because he didn't give too many specifics regarding the recipes but it goes to show that if someone can steal your ideas and pass them off as their own, they will.

Lyndie Tue 05-Apr-22 16:43:00

I was a Governor for a local Primary School. They wanted my expertise in Marketing, they needed more pupils. I did a strategy and a very limited cost budget which in the end I paid for personally but I didnt fit in and was treated badly. So I left. To many people talking and not doing. I actually got something useful done!

PECS Tue 05-Apr-22 17:36:19

Gosh Lyndie we could use your expertise on our Governing Board! It would still have to be voluntary but we would appreciate you!

Lyndie Tue 05-Apr-22 18:37:29

Thank you PECS.

fluff Tue 05-Apr-22 23:57:15

DeeJaysMum

It's not surprising in the slightest. Everyone wants something for nothing. I know it's a charity and you were offering your services for free but they evidently wanted to use your ideas and keep the credit for themselves.

Slightly different situation but early last year my son applied for a position with an online food kit company and was asked for a sample recipe before his interview. He does have an extensive list of his own recipes and gave them a list of about 10 but submitted the recipes for 2.
At the interview he was asked about all the suggestions he'd made and their recipes rather than asking about his qualifications/experience. Then, just before the end of the interview they said that they'd seen him because he had good qualifications and had submitted some great ideas for future products but that they were actually looking for a woman for the job.
Over the past year, they have tried to recreate no less than 5 of his recipes, they've been a bit rubbish because he didn't give too many specifics regarding the recipes but it goes to show that if someone can steal your ideas and pass them off as their own, they will.

Wouldn’t that be sexual discrimination? They sound like a very shady company.

FarNorth Wed 06-Apr-22 00:16:12

I think it would fluff.
What good reason could they have for that, in food production?

Catterygirl Wed 06-Apr-22 00:31:31

I volunteered to work in a charity shop, mainly to meet new friends. They didn’t let me inside the shop and put me in the office and offered me a directorship! I gave it a try but it was stressful and the promised expenses didn’t materialise. I left.

Daisend1 Wed 06-Apr-22 15:49:05

I have' volunteered' in the past.Found it quite demanding and reluctantly had to give it up.