Gransnet forums

Chat

Lurpak butter

(44 Posts)
glammagran Mon 04-Apr-22 14:25:19

I have used Lurpak unsalted butter for many, many years. Waitrose have said there is no demand for this product and have discontinued selling it. When I enquired in store the person I spoke to said many people had been asking for unsalted Lurpak. I’m amazed as we are told to consume less salt and I really dislike salted butter. I just hope it’s only Waitrose that has stopped selling it.

MawtheMerrier Mon 04-Apr-22 14:31:00

Might it be a supply issue?
There are lots of things missing thee days often without rhyme or reason

glammagran Mon 04-Apr-22 14:32:16

MawtheMerrier

No, I emailed Waitrose who said they have discontinued the product due to lack of demand.

MawtheMerrier Mon 04-Apr-22 14:36:21

Well I suppose with cutting a few pence here and there off the supermarket bill, people are going for the own brand alternative.
I now buy (own brand) butter in the big size, cut off about a quarter which I put in the butter dish, and put the rest in the fridge. It looks neater too in the butter dish.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 04-Apr-22 14:37:48

The fridges in Spain (and her Islands) used to be full of Lurpak
Unsalted Butter, I wonder if they are empty as well?

MawtheMerrier Mon 04-Apr-22 14:38:07

But they still sell Lurpak online as shown here

Aveline Mon 04-Apr-22 14:47:05

I love Lurpak unsalted. Hope it's not out of production.

TillyTrotter Mon 04-Apr-22 14:48:03

It was my mum’s favourite butter.
Is it a sneaky plot to get shoppers to buy own brand goods as supermarkets reduce the lines of external brands I wonder?

crazyH Mon 04-Apr-22 14:54:38

I’m a Lurpak Unsalted fan as well. I really hope the haven’t stopped production.

glammagran Mon 04-Apr-22 14:55:14

I don’t buy Lurpak spreads, only the block butter

Callistemon21 Mon 04-Apr-22 14:55:35

glammagran

MawtheMerrier

No, I emailed Waitrose who said they have discontinued the product due to lack of demand.

I remember asking for a product in Tesco years ago and was told "We've discontinued it due to lack of demand - yes people are always asking me for it". confused

I used to buy block Lurpak (salted) a while ago but haven't seen it for ages so I've bought the tubs a couple of times but it's mixed with rapeseed oil and a couple of other things whereas I just want butter (with salt).

Callistemon21 Mon 04-Apr-22 14:56:56

It was my mum’s favourite butter
And my Mum's TillyTrotter

BlueBelle Mon 04-Apr-22 15:01:01

I like my butter salted and like Maw I use own brand
Never have liked the taste of Lurpak each to his own

Jaxjacky Mon 04-Apr-22 15:05:36

I’ve got their lightly salted in my online basket for next week’s delivery.

Pantglas2 Mon 04-Apr-22 15:16:32

Never been keen on lurpak (too creamy) and always had Anchor as a child. I now buy bog standard block salted for cooking but pay an extra 20p for the blocks with sea salt crystals for slathering on crumpets ?

argymargy Mon 04-Apr-22 15:21:16

Seems odd to buy butter from abroad, when we make so much of it here in the UK. I never understood the logic of shipping Anchor butter all the way from New Zealand when we grow it on our doorstep (but then I learned about the economics of our links with NZ - all changed now of course). And many brands do unsalted as well as salted - I buy Duchy or Yeo unsalted from Waitrose. Perhaps we are spoilt for choice.

M0nica Mon 04-Apr-22 15:24:20

Just because some people want something doesn't mean enough people want it to make it worth ordering, especially as Waitrose will lose quantity discounts if their order is too small.

It may also be that with only a fixed amount space to stock butter and margarine, they stock the ones that sell best and once the space is filled, everything else is discontinued.

Peoples taste's changed. Now that so many people have coffee machines, the selection of instant coffee on the shelves and the space given to it has shrunken drastically.

Callistemon21 Mon 04-Apr-22 15:25:36

I never understood the logic of shipping Anchor butter all the way from New Zealand when we grow it on our doorstep (but then I learned about the economics of our links with NZ - all changed now of course

Anchor butter has been made here for very many years. It's British.
The butter is made in Wiltshire from British milk/cream by Arla, a co-operative of British farmers.

argymargy Mon 04-Apr-22 15:28:05

Callistemon21

^I never understood the logic of shipping Anchor butter all the way from New Zealand when we grow it on our doorstep (but then I learned about the economics of our links with NZ - all changed now of course^

Anchor butter has been made here for very many years. It's British.
The butter is made in Wiltshire from British milk/cream by Arla, a co-operative of British farmers.

Only since 2012, Callistemon21.

Callistemon21 Mon 04-Apr-22 15:29:20

Ah yes.
But we still import NZ lamb and it's cheaper than local!

M0nica Mon 04-Apr-22 15:37:32

Anchor butter is amde in Wiltshire. www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2569867/Anchor-New-Zealand-butter-Wiltshire-Brand-owner-breaks-tradition-120-years-moving-production-UK.html

Witzend Mon 04-Apr-22 16:45:12

I will only buy U.K. butter - I like to support our own dairy farmers - though used to buy Lurpak when we lived abroad and it was all you could get. I really don’t understand what’s so special about Lurpak.

Nickee Mon 04-Apr-22 17:17:49

I find Lurpack too pale and not over flavoursome.

Kim19 Mon 04-Apr-22 17:32:57

Used to be a Lurpak unsalted devotee and then I discovered President. Absolutely no contest and my local W still stocks it though it has disappeared from T & S.

Chestnut Mon 04-Apr-22 17:34:02

I would always buy British butter and especially lamb. We shouldn't consume anything from overseas which can be produced here.